TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Things you may not have discovered about your Model S?!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by JoshG, Jan 26, 2013.

Tags:
  1. DaveVa

DaveVa Sig Perf #236 VIN #484

Not yet - but it would be a great option.

2. MrSniffer

MrSniffer Member

You can also simply "bop" the rearmost portion of the door (where it hinges) and pop the magnetic latch ajar mechanically.

3. nleggatt

nleggatt Member

Ok, here's a good one!

So I rented this video the other day on my iPad. Lots of action etc and great sound track. I was thinking it might be a good movie to watch while I'm charging the Model S during a road trip. Too bad I would have to listen to it on headphones or from the iPad speakers.... NOT TRUE!

Turn your car's audio source to your iPad and voila! Stereo surround! Wahoo!

4. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

Yeah, if you check your iPad/iPhone, it will list the Tesla on Airplay, but only sends the audio, no video.

5. znino

znino Member

Have not tried this yet with my Model S but I have regularly plugged in my tire inflator into my roadster 12V socket without issue. Maybe your unit is drawing a lot of power.

6. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

With all 4 windows open and the roof open to the 80% position, the rear center seat belt vibrates in the wind. If I raise the rear driver side window, it changes the airflow and eliminates the vibration.

Found another simpler solution - slide the seat belt fastener from the bottom (by the seat) all of the way to the top of the belt, where it should stay. This seems to eliminate the vibration - at least so far... Another option could be to always have that seat belt fastened - but I was trying avoid that.

7. Hogfighter

Hogfighter Professional Lurker

bob_p....I had the same problem with the seatbelt. Thanks for the tip, it fixed my 'biggest' issue with the car!

8. Kauai

Kauai Signature PS588

Medved which reader did you buy? I tried the elago from Amazon and it is recognized on my laptop, but in the S. Did you format the card before using it?

9. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913

The gaps in the trunk on each side of the hidden footwell are just perfect to store two gallon-sized cans of milk each, snugly with no sloshing around. Just saying :)

10. JoshG

JoshG Member

Yet another solution - my wind buffeting problem went away instantly when I installed the rear parcel shelf.

11. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

Just got my parcel shelf. If you close the rear hatch - and then push the parcel shelf backward from over the rear seats, you can get the back of the parcel shelf to meet up close enough to the underside of the rear window to completely hide whatever's stored in the trunk.

Won't have to store things in the frunk or trunk well to hide them from now on!

12. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

My car has never done this on 4.2, or 4.3. Does this work for almost everyone? My handles extend when I first put it in park. They also extend from the controls screen, and they auto extend appropriately. No amount of tapping, or pushing the Park button extends the handles. Am I missing something? This WOULD be a very convenient feature.

13. aviators99

aviators99 Model S - R140

Also, if you press the accelerator, the car will move faster.

14. wstuff

wstuff Junior Member

I bought two and had to format before use. Also I just found A/C vents coming out of the carpet, under the front seats to service the rear floor, did not know they were there.

15. jcadman22

jcadman22 MD: DRK NRG

I was applying Rain-X to my windshield today and noticed the bulge noted by @lolachampcar elsewhere in the forums. You can't see it, but you can definitely feel a slight bulge about 6" down from the top which presumably provides some specific aero advantage. Very cool detail Tesla.

16. mlascano

mlascano S Sig #722

I'm running 4.3 now, most recently on 1.19.42.
    I also tried to replicate this behavior but I'm sad to report that my car only extends the door handles after INITIALLY going into Park (from any other gear). If I wait until the handles retract (while remaining inside, still in Park), pushing the Park button again does nothing. I can also get them to extend from the screen as you mention. I agree with you that this behavior would be great but until confirmed by others, I'm assuming this was a misreport. Anyone able to confirm if this happens in your car?

17. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Pretty sure they didn't re-extend with 4.2. But they definitely don't on 4.3. Unlock on touchscreen does extend, I believe.

18. andystj

andystj S: P957 X: P337

Perhaps this has been listed before, but I don't have time to review the thread. I did just happen upon a simple tip. The "Control" button on the bottom left is a toggle. Of course we know it opens the control panel. I just discovered that it also closes the control panel. This is very helpful when driving. Clicking the small "x" to close the window with even slight road vibration while looking ahead can be a little tricky. Clicking the big button conveniently located in the bottom left is much more simple.

Andy

19. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913

Andy, you can tap anywhere outside the region covered by any "popup dialog" (sorry, tech speak) to dismiss the popup; you'll see the (X) glowing and the popup going away.

20. Kick Gas

Kick Gas Member

After a while, you might want to look at something other than the assortment of options provided at the top of the touchscreen. There is no way that I know of to defeat these choices and have just the Tesla logo or nothing at all. What I did was create a favorites folder in dropbox which I can then access via the web. I can then pull up photos of family, friends, pets, mistresses, etc and blow them up to full screen as a custom screen saver that you can rotate through. Nice alternative.