Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things you may not have discovered about your Model S?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It works well when you have to stop the car quickly & need additional braking. Like a hand brake in ICE's. I checked this out during test drive.

In a sudden stop using the emergency brake reduces stopping distance?

Sorry, I have to call this a gross misstatement.

Yes, when you are coasting the emergency brake can slow the car but it is absolutely not true that in a sudden stop maneuver using the e-brake will reduce stopping distance.

You can mount an "EZ pass" windshield sticker and hide most of the sticker by sliding it part way underneath the rear view mirror support on the right side and sliding the top half of the sticker into the seam between the top of the windshield and the roof.

At least in my car, the sticker is snug enough it probably won't have to be "stuck" to the windshield there.

This hides most of the sticker from view from the inside of the car - and also from the outside, because it's at the top of the area with black dots in the center of the windshield.

I found this spot by making multiple passes through an EZ Tag test lane, placing the sticker at various locations on the windshield - until I could find one that worked reliably - and by accident, found this extremely convenient location.

• Love
Reactions: mattatec
When in "Standard" charge mode, charging will not fill the charging bar all of the way, there will be some empty space on the bar at the right end. The bar will be full only when fully charged in the maximum range mode.

Tesla really should fix this - and only display the expanded bar when the car is in range mode - so that when in standard mode (which is almost all of the time) 100% charge is reflected in the bar.

When in "Standard" charge mode, charging will not fill the charging bar all of the way, there will be some empty space on the bar at the right end. The bar will be full only when fully charged in the maximum range mode.

Tesla really should fix this - and only display the expanded bar when the car is in range mode - so that when in standard mode (which is almost all of the time) 100% charge is reflected in the bar.

I'd rather know the true SOC of the battery. The Roadster displays only 80% full when fully charged in Standard mode. I prefer being able to glance at the battery icon and know the SOC, rather than have to factor in which mode I'm observing. Personal preference.

I'd rather know the true SOC of the battery. The Roadster displays only 80% full when fully charged in Standard mode. I prefer being able to glance at the battery icon and know the SOC, rather than have to factor in which mode I'm observing. Personal preference.

I am going to have to go with Bonnie on this one. That way right as I get into my car to drive to Charlotte I don't see a full bar and (have it accidently in standard charge) and not make it all the way.

You can mount an "EZ pass" windshield sticker and hide most of the sticker by sliding it part way underneath the rear view mirror support on the right side and sliding the top half of the sticker into the seam between the top of the windshield and the roof.

At least in my car, the sticker is snug enough it probably won't have to be "stuck" to the windshield there.

This hides most of the sticker from view from the inside of the car - and also from the outside, because it's at the top of the area with black dots in the center of the windshield.

I found this spot by making multiple passes through an EZ Tag test lane, placing the sticker at various locations on the windshield - until I could find one that worked reliably - and by accident, found this extremely convenient location.

Bob P: Please send pics of the EZ pass placement. This would be very helpful. Thanks!

Or you know, hold your cups...

Anyone else surprised by the secondary headlights that turn on when making a turn in the direction you're turning? The physical lights are actually underneath the turn signals. It was a welcome addition, when turning they do make a difference!

I really wish this thread (and particularly the first post) would only list stuff that's not plainly visible in the owner's manual.
That's the problem with threads like this. No one will agree on what belongs and what doesn't. I feel that things that are in the manual (or elsewhere on the forum) but not super-obvious should still be included here. I read the manual but had still missed or forgotten some of these. Collecting quick tips in one place may be helpful to others, as evidenced by the following replies...

All useful....I think I knew 4 of the 12. Thanks

Thanks, that wasn't obvious at all, and I've had the car for a month!

This is the best thread ever for a Model S owner. Thanks to all the contributors. I've learned several new tricks that I will definitely use.

But open to other suggestions... or happy to just let the Mods decide and edit.

This is a picture of my EZ Tag to the right side of the rear view mirror mount. Hard to get a photo - because it is fairly hidden from view.

ModelS_EZTag.jpg

I agree - this is a personal preference - and something that could be a setting - users could select if the bar shows maximum possible charge or shows maximum charge for the current range setting.

In case you have trouble opening your chargeport using the remote on the charging connector, try pointing it at the defroster lines on the back window. One of the defroster lines is actually not a defroster but is the antenna to pick up the remote signal.

- - - Updated - - -

If your iPhone is paired to your Model S, you can talk to SIRI through your handsfree microphone and speaker. You can then use SIRI to place calls for you, send text messages, get weather, or whatever you might use SIRI for.