Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things you may not have discovered about your Model S?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If this is the only reason, I hope they will bring the feature back in the Tesla App.

It was a horrible feature because you could accidentally roll all the windows down when it was pouring rain. And you could only roll them back up by using the door controls for each individual window. It wouldn't have been so bad if a second push could have rolled them all back up, but it didn't.

• Helpful
Reactions: jvonbokel
It was a horrible feature because you could accidentally roll all the windows down when it was pouring rain. And you could only roll them back up by using the door controls for each individual window. It wouldn't have been so bad if a second push could have rolled them all back up, but it didn't.
In AZ that would be called "advanced pre-cooling mode." And some days getting in my ICE car after sitting in parking lot all day, I'd almost consider that to nothing!

I've used that feature on my BMW for 8 years. I think it's great. I have yet to experience it happening "accidentally" when I'm wearing my "skinny jeans" There are some pretty vocal people in the BMW forums , but BMW never disabled that feature. AFAIK that feature is still available in current BMW models.

I do think that it is funny when people complain about it. After all the times I've used that feature on the BMW, I've never had the need to roll all the windows back up before I actually got into the car and got ready to drive away. That few seconds of venting all the windows, and even the sunroof, before you get to the car on a hot summer day in Texas really makes a difference. I wish that feature was available in the tesla. If it was available, I would definitely use it during the summer. Venting the pano roof just doesn't seem to have the same cooling effect as rolling down all the windows as you walk up to the car.

I've used that feature on my BMW for 8 years. I think it's great. I have yet to experience it happening "accidentally" when I'm wearing my "skinny jeans" There are some pretty vocal people in the BMW forums , but BMW never disabled that feature. AFAIK that feature is still available in current BMW models...
I agree with you. I never had the problem with a button or combo going off in my jeans with my BMW, nor any of my Lexus, or my MBZ -- not once in all the years I can remember. OTOH, in just the first couple months owning my MS, with both leather and silicon covers on and off, I had my Tesla FOB open my frunk and trunk multiple times in literally the same pairs of jeans I owned with my previous Lexus and MBZ -- and no, I didn't put on a bunch of extra weight.

I honestly think some people forget that not all buttons on these FOBs from different mfgrs are created equally, and IMHO the Tesla FOB buttons are just a lot more easily depressed than others... Likely because it looks cool to have the smooth FOB finish that looks like a MS silhouette (which is also thicker than my previous FOBs) vs the other three which have more distinct buttons that are not at all flush with the rest of the FOB especially if one of the optional mfgr leather covers are also on the FOB, and therefore likely help prevent even more inadvertent presses some of us have encountered with our Tesla FOBs. To me, it's all a design thing why I have to be more careful with my more esthetically pleasing Tesla FOB than I ever have been before.

Last edited:
Reactions: newtman
I've used that feature on my BMW for 8 years. I think it's great. I have yet to experience it happening "accidentally" when I'm wearing my "skinny jeans" There are some pretty vocal people in the BMW forums , but BMW never disabled that feature. AFAIK that feature is still available in current BMW models.

I do think that it is funny when people complain about it. After all the times I've used that feature on the BMW, I've never had the need to roll all the windows back up before I actually got into the car and got ready to drive away. That few seconds of venting all the windows, and even the sunroof, before you get to the car on a hot summer day in Texas really makes a difference. I wish that feature was available in the tesla. If it was available, I would definitely use it during the summer. Venting the pano roof just doesn't seem to have the same cooling effect as rolling down all the windows as you walk up to the car.

1. I had it happen several times. I'd guess that the BMW isn't as sensitive as the Tesla fob was.

2. The vent position doesn't do a lot, 15% is ideal, 20% is okay, but a bit too far open.

1. I had it happen several times. I'd guess that the BMW isn't as sensitive as the Tesla fob was.

2. The vent position doesn't do a lot, 15% is ideal, 20% is okay, but a bit too far open.
Let's point out the elephant in the room - the fob itself. Most everyone thinks its cool because it is shaped like a Model S. But the design itself is horrible. There is a reason all other manufacturers use fobs with recessed buttons - these buttons don't get inadvertently pressed when in your pocket. In fact, I have been looking for some sort of rigid fob holder for my fob just to prevent this inadvertent button presses.

If the fob were better, it would be a no-brainer to bring back this function.

Strange for me but I've never once had this happen. FWIW I use the leather holder they gave me last August and I dont wear tight clothes.
I haven't had any inadvertent presses since I started using one of those silicon fob covers. And I don't wear tight clothes either. When it did happen is was because I bent down and the pants tightened up. (I know no one needed to know that :)

The only time I ever experience an accidental press is when I am getting in the car. When I sit rear first and swing in my legs (to avoid hitting the b-pillar post that juts out), the car beeps because it accidentally registers a single-press of the top of the fob indicating the car should lock. It does not lock the car and the flashing light and beeps are the only indicator. Took me a bit to figure out that was what was causing this though.

Most everyone thinks its cool because it is shaped like a Model S. But the design itself is horrible.

If the fob were better, it would be a no-brainer to bring back this function.

Personally, I think the key is ugly and cheap looking. For a (potentially) 6 figure vehicle, could Tesla not have designed a nicer key fob. One that wasn't made of plastic, that has the model printed on the bottom?

The only time I ever experience an accidental press is when I am getting in the car. When I sit rear first and swing in my legs (to avoid hitting the b-pillar post that juts out), the car beeps because it accidentally registers a single-press of the top of the fob indicating the car should lock. It does not lock the car and the flashing light and beeps are the only indicator. Took me a bit to figure out that was what was causing this though.
Took me a while to figure that one out too..