Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things you may not have discovered about your Model S?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In over two years, I've never had any buttons accidentally pressed on my fob but if this is a problem for people just make it the same as opening the charge port by holding down the trunk button, except make it the frunk button. It's nearly impossible to accidentally pop open the charge port. You need to hold the button nearly forever for it to open.

I guess you don't get coins for change? Coins in the pocket can trigger the buttons, as they get caught in the hollowed out button hole and trigger the button. I guess I'm old school having coins in my pocket from using cash and getting change...

Coins?!? Cash?!? What are these things you speak of? I pride myself on spending a week in Iceland and three in London without ever getting/using any physical currency.

Not completely solved for some of us as I said up-thread. I find with my silicone sleeve is still the best situation, but I still have the very occasional phantom button push occur if I forget and put anything else in the same pocket as my FOB.

Same here, though I get it as I mentioned above when sitting in the car even when nothing else is in my pocket. My key has been in a Fobpocket for a year now and I get accidental presses about 5x/week.

Same here, though I get it as I mentioned above when sitting in the car even when nothing else is in my pocket. My key has been in a Fobpocket for a year now and I get accidental presses about 5x/week.
Do you have keys or something else hanging from your Fobpocket that may be pressing that button, or maybe it's just where your pants naturally tend to crease that causes more pressure on the button? Otherwise, I tell myself if I want to eliminate the last few spurious trunk/frunk openings, it's time for me to loose more weight. ;)

I keep my key in a light jacket pocket over my left upper chest. Never had accidental openings.

Thinking of getting more shirts with pockets for the summer, and maybe pocket protectors;)! (Do they even make those anymore?). Guess the next logical solution would be hanging it from my neck like an ID tag when it gets too hot to wear my jacket.

We can talk around it, but accidental key presses are a problem with every fob out there. The BMW i3 forums also yack about this and that fob is much slimmer with buttons moulded lower than the periphery of the fob.

It's a design issue that needs to be revisited by some more clever mechanical and/or electrical engineers. Meanwhile those with the problem (I've never had the issue myself) know who they are and seem to develop work arounds.

The Summon crash in Utah reads to me as the perfect combination of an unintended button push and an obstacle that is "above the radar" of the MS.

Reactions: Cyclone
I remember when Lexus started offering a slim credit card key "fob". Such an awesome option.

Lexus SmartAccess Card Key

Tesla should take this idea to the next level.

index.13.jpg

Reactions: msnow
I would be happy if they would add this feature to the phone app.
Not so easy to do by mistake then
It's a good point, we don't hear about accidental presses of the phone app. Why not put a lockout on the fob buttons to disable them, but the RFID attributes of the fob for auto lock/unlock/start will still work just fine. I rarely use the buttons on the fob anyway.

Maybe just disable Summon and door/trunk/frunk unlock.

Reactions: Cyclone
Do you have keys or something else hanging from your Fobpocket that may be pressing that button, or maybe it's just where your pants naturally tend to crease that causes more pressure on the button? Otherwise, I tell myself if I want to eliminate the last few spurious trunk/frunk openings, it's time for me to loose more weight. ;)

Nothing else in my pocket. It also happens when wearing my cargo shorts. If I don't wear a belt, the shorts can fall off with little work. Perhaps it's just the length of my legs causing a good squeeze across that area?

Nothing else in my pocket. It also happens when wearing my cargo shorts. If I don't wear a belt, the shorts can fall off with little work. Perhaps it's just the length of my legs causing a good squeeze across that area?
Well, something is pressing that button. Since I'm on my second glass of wine and this is a G-rated site, I'll leave it to everyone's imagination as to what else that may be! Ahahahahahaha

I paid closer attention today and figured out why I am experiencing the occasional accidental button press when sitting down. While I do not keep anything in the same pocket as my fob nor do I wear tight pants, I do put the keyfob in my right-hand pocket and drive a left-hand drive car. So what is happening is that when my right leg swings under the steering wheel, sometimes the bottom of the steering wheel presses on the top of the keyfob and triggers the "lock" command, to which the car beeps and flashes its lights because it won't lock while the door is open.

Strange for me but I've never once had this happen. FWIW I use the leather holder they gave me last August and I dont wear tight clothes.

I use the leather Tesla key fob holder and have only had one accidental incident.

My MS85D only has about 6" between the garage door and the rear bumper. I went into the garage one morning and my rear hatch was open. If the MS was a couple of inches closer to the garage door, the rear hatch would have hit the garage door as it opened. This would have made the VERY unhappy if it had damaged my MS. I now make sure that the car is as far forward in the garage as I can.

We can talk around it, but accidental key presses are a problem with every fob out there. The BMW i3 forums also yack about this and that fob is much slimmer with buttons moulded lower than the periphery of the fob.

It's a design issue that needs to be revisited by some more clever mechanical and/or electrical engineers. Meanwhile those with the problem (I've never had the issue myself) know who they are and seem to develop work arounds.

The Summon crash in Utah reads to me as the perfect combination of an unintended button push and an obstacle that is "above the radar" of the MS.

Yet another reason not to enable summon.

Hang a ball from the garage ceiling so the ball just touches the windshield when you are where you want to be. Lines on the wall will help you drive in at precisely the right place: line up the cord on the ball with the center of the two lines. (I also have a short dot between the long lines for a more precise aim.) ballonceilingx600.png

• Helpful
Reactions: newtman