Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things you may not have discovered about your Model S?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I park in a 5-level deep underground parking garage every day. Within seconds after I drive in, Slacker shuts down, so I know it loses cellular almost immediately. And there's no way GPS works down there.

However, the car NAV always knows which direction the vehicle is facing, you can see it rotating as I go down the ramps.

That has got to be inertial NAV (gyro's) - I am not aware of any other technology that can do that. Compass would also not work down there.

I question your statement that a compass would not work in an underground garage. Have you tried? The earth's magnetic field should have no problem penetrating 5 levels underground. After all, it does originate in the earth's iron core does it not?

I don't know if it does or doesn't, but perhaps all the rebar in the concrete is like being in a Faraday cage.
Compasses still work in Faraday cages. (GPS and cellular signals, not so much)

About the only thing that stops a compass working is another magnetic field. (not saying that couldn't exist there, but unlikely enough of one to knock out a compass throughout the entire structure, more likely only in one corner of it or such)

Things you may not have discovered about your Model S... the pedal spacing is very accommodating!
WP6FENJ.jpg

Sorry if mentioned earlier...

I just found that when using TACC and in hold mode in traffic, one does not need to tap the go pedal to start moving. Just pull the cruise stalk toward you and off you go. Minor, but what the heck.

Another I have found is that if I am in cruise and I hit a sharp corner, the car will wait until I am through the corner to accelerate up to the set point. Now that one I find pretty neat.

Compass would also not work down there.

I don't think the Model S has a compass anyway. For example, if you back into a parking space, the arrow on the map representing the car rotates in the direction of movement rather than "backing up" on the map, which suggests it is using the differential of GPS locations to determine the arrow's direction. I'm not sure how it's correctly registering your location below ground though, without getting a GPS signal. Maybe there's some sort of compass or gyro that it falls back to only when GPS fails?

I don't think the Model S has a compass anyway. For example, if you back into a parking space, the arrow on the map representing the car rotates in the direction of movement rather than "backing up" on the map, which suggests it is using the differential of GPS locations to determine the arrow's direction. I'm not sure how it's correctly registering your location below ground though, without getting a GPS signal. Maybe there's some sort of compass or gyro that it falls back to only when GPS fails?

Unless I'm missing something, I kinda think it does have a compass. I back into my garage at home and if I look at the map in the app on my phone, it always shows my car pointing the right direction rather than the direction it was last traveling. Then again, it might just be flipping the direction 180 since it would have known I was last in reverse.

There's no compass that I can find in the hardware, but the rate gyro and the distance (F/R) can accurately determine heading. The dead-reckoning of this system is likely calibrated by GPS when it's present, so it stays pretty accurate.

Unless I'm missing something, I kinda think it does have a compass. I back into my garage at home and if I look at the map in the app on my phone, it always shows my car pointing the right direction rather than the direction it was last traveling. Then again, it might just be flipping the direction 180 since it would have known I was last in reverse.

I think it'd be helpful here to define what you mean by "pointing the right direction". Not arguing with you, just that we might have a different expectation. I would say that for the direction to be correct (or "right") would mean that the arrow depicts the orientation of the car, and always faces the same direction the car is. So if I back into my garage, I would expect the arrow to point in the direction of the garage door, not the back of the garage. In my experience, the Model S shows the arrow in the opposite direction, as though I had pulled forward into the garage. This could also be considered "right" however, as it represents the relative direction of travel. It is this behavior that leads me to believe there is not a compass, because if it knew the direction the car was facing, it could keep the arrow in sync with that direction. It could also just be that they chose to depict the direction of movement though, regardless of the orientation of the car.

Also, don't get me wrong, I don't really mind the way it works now. I'm not suggesting they add a compass just so that the arrow can be shown to "back up" when in reverse. I think it's just an inherent limitation of the method they (and other nav systems) have chosen to depict direction.

Yesterday i I tried to drive from the passenger seat. Also frustrating...

Well...

04-IMG_3902.JPG

As an aside I thought it was interesting that the only controls that changed orientation were the buttons for the glovebox/hazards. Everything else is just moved over with the layout intact-- even the VIN is still on the right side. The ergonomics of having all the display menus on the far side of the screen are a nice penalty for our former overlords.

(Cheers from the colonies, gents).

I think it'd be helpful here to define what you mean by "pointing the right direction". Not arguing with you, just that we might have a different expectation. I would say that for the direction to be correct (or "right") would mean that the arrow depicts the orientation of the car, and always faces the same direction the car is. So if I back into my garage, I would expect the arrow to point in the direction of the garage door, not the back of the garage. In my experience, the Model S shows the arrow in the opposite direction, as though I had pulled forward into the garage. This could also be considered "right" however, as it represents the relative direction of travel. It is this behavior that leads me to believe there is not a compass, because if it knew the direction the car was facing, it could keep the arrow in sync with that direction. It could also just be that they chose to depict the direction of movement though, regardless of the orientation of the car.

Also, don't get me wrong, I don't really mind the way it works now. I'm not suggesting they add a compass just so that the arrow can be shown to "back up" when in reverse. I think it's just an inherent limitation of the method they (and other nav systems) have chosen to depict direction.

I thought I defined it pretty well in my post when I said "it always shows my car pointing the right direction rather than the direction it was last traveling". The behavior you're describing is the exact opposite of what I've experienced.

- - - Updated - - -

As an aside I thought it was interesting that the only controls that changed orientation were the buttons for the glovebox/hazards. Everything else is just moved over with the layout intact-- even the VIN is still on the right side. The ergonomics of having all the display menus on the far side of the screen are a nice penalty for our former overlords.

People seem to think all the controls in British cars are reversed because the gear selector is now on your left, when in actuality, that's really the only major thing that changes. All the steering wheel controls (blinkers, wipers, etc.) and pedals are in the exact same orientation, just on the opposite side of the car.