Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things you may not have discovered about your Model S?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you put the car in park using the MCU, you cannot turn off the headlights.
I think this is only in Canada since we need to have the DRL headlights on all the time when in the car.
I figure the reason I can't turn the headlights off is because the car goes into Neutral on the left console unit when you use the MCU to put it in park.

note: if you put the car in park using the stalk, you can turn off the headlights.

Yup saw those. Tesla keys look so beautiful. I wish there was a transparent acrylic cover that didn't hide the keys.

I ordered the totally black one, then cut off the huge rear "spoiler" that the keychain attaches to. Looks pretty good, and offers great protection.

tesla-fob-cover.jpg

I knew this for a while, but recently shared it with my wife and didn't see it in this thread. If you tap (move it a little bit, but not enough to fully engage it) the left/right turn signals it blinks for 3 clicks and turns off. Very convenient for changing lanes.

- - - Updated - - -

@Ingineer, Thats not terrible. I'm thinking of wrapping mine in carbon fiber.

Better get a good wrap. I put [what I thought was a good] carbon fiber skin on my previous phone, after a few months all the curves started to peal off.

I knew this for a while, but recently shared it with my wife and didn't see it in this thread. If you tap (move it a little bit, but not enough to fully engage it) the left/right turn signals it blinks for 3 clicks and turns off. Very convenient for changing lanes.

All of my previous cars have done that for a while now. I would have been surprised if the Tesla didn't.

All of my previous cars have done that for a while now. I would have been surprised if the Tesla didn't.

Might be a luxury vs. non-luxury car situation?

My previous ~10 year old did not do this. My wife's non-luxury 3 year old car does not do this. If you hold the stalk 1/2 way to the on-position in my old car/her car, it'll blink, but as soon you let go, it stops. Here, I tap it and let go and it continues to blink.

I need to find a better way to carry the keyfob. The Tesla leather case makes it too bulky, and other keyfob pockets are far too ugly.
I wonder how delicate the keyfob is, and if I can just carry it without any protection in my pocket... assuming there are no keys etc. on it.

The keyfob is not terribly delicate. I'm actually surprised that so many people want to put cases on them, but then again I've never been a fan of having a case on my phone either. I've had the covering wear out on my keyfob around the buttons, but didn't find it to be a big deal. It just makes it look less "sleek" as you can see exactly where the buttons are. Regardless, the service center can put a new covering on it as they did to mine when the car was in for its annual service. I didn't ask them to, but was pleasantly surprised that they did. I've never put mine in any kind of case. I was given a free Tesla keyfob case but found it too bulky to keep in my pants pocket like that so I took it off almost immediately.

Holding your fob at the spot on the windshield is for unlocking the car with a dead fob battery, not a dead car battery. As for the original question, I don't know but would expect the location is the same on RHD cars. Is there an RHD version of the manual you can check?

My car did unlock with the fob with battery removed. I was able to drive the car as well, as written in the manual.
I forgot what RHD manual says about the location for emergency unlock, but for RHD it's passenger side (on the left, seeing from the driver's seat). The spot is very very small that I would recommend you try that if you haven't with the fob without battery.

I suspect you weren't holding it in the correct areas. The fob has a passive RFID transponder, but they are very short range, so positioning is critical.

I'm going to take the battery out and try again. I believe it was even a Service Center rep who told me they weren't RFID and that the location simply placed a fob with a weak battery near the receiver antenna.

... I believe it was even a Service Center rep who told me ...
This works as a reply as well as information new owners may not know:
Just because someone works for Tesla doesn't mean they know all about the car. Employees of the store (and even in the service centers) are sometimes misinformed, and often just don't know as much as owners.

Case in point: Just a few weeks ago I was in a Tesla store, and the employee didn't know the charge port on D models can close itself.