Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things you may not have discovered about your Model S?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We were driving around the other day, with her in the passenger seat. She was able to change the A/C and honk the horn from her phone while I was driving. Seemed... odd. Now I'm mildly worried she's going to mess with me remotely via her app when I'm driving without her.

That doesn't seem right. Should be disabled for things like that when the car is "on" and/or under way.

That doesn't seem right. Should be disabled for things like that when the car is "on" and/or under way.

The app features still work even when the vehicle is being driven. This is true at least up to when I tested it two months ago. I don't see this as a big concern as it's nothing that would prevent safe operation of the vehicle. This would allow someone in the back seat to vent the sunroof if desired, turn the headlights on if they're waiting in the car and would prefer them on for safety, or in the future (supposedly) change the audio settings, etc.

The app features still work even when the vehicle is being driven. This is true at least up to when I tested it two months ago. I don't see this as a big concern as it's nothing that would prevent safe operation of the vehicle.

Well, I think remotely honking the horn, flashing the lights and venting the pano roof might be a bit distracting. It just seems odd that Tesla would even allow it. I would think when the car is on, they should limit the app to receiving data only (for tracking) but remote control of anything should be a big no-no.

What's creepy about this function is that my wife put the app on her phone, even though she has not driven (and/or been allowed to drive) the car yet. I obviously have the app, too. We were driving around the other day, with her in the passenger seat. She was able to change the A/C and honk the horn from her phone while I was driving. Seemed... odd. Now I'm mildly worried she's going to mess with me remotely via her app when I'm driving without her.

Remember to turn off Remote Access when go shopping for her birthday gift so she doesn't know what store you were at!

Well, I think remotely honking the horn, flashing the lights and venting the pano roof might be a bit distracting. It just seems odd that Tesla would even allow it. I would think when the car is on, they should limit the app to receiving data only (for tracking) but remote control of anything should be a big no-no.

Indeed it would be distracting, I agree. But only yourself and those whom you trust with your password would have access to it so there shouldn't me much to be concerned about...Unless you're spouse/partner is a prankster! :tongue:

What's creepy about this function is that my wife put the app on her phone, even though she has not driven (and/or been allowed to drive) the car yet. I obviously have the app, too. We were driving around the other day, with her in the passenger seat. She was able to change the A/C and honk the horn from her phone while I was driving. Seemed... odd. Now I'm mildly worried she's going to mess with me remotely via her app when I'm driving without her.

You sure you were driving and not parked? You can not honk the horn or flash the lights from the Android app while driving. Ask me how I know? lol

I don't remember about the pano though... I don't think so.

Last edited:
It's actually kinda fun to watch the map in the mobile app while driving.

The phone's GPS location is less accurate, but instantaneous.

The car's GPS (as reported in the app) is very accurate, but delayed.

When watching say, driving on a highway, the two locations on the map are constantly "leap-frogging" each other. It's kinda humorous to watch.

No, it's definitely the regular brakes. My parking brake make a very distinctive "zip" sound when it engages/releases which isn't present with Hill Assist.
I'm fairly certain that when the software was updated to enable Hill Assist it said the parking brake would be applied for about 1 second after brakes were released. It makes sense because parking brake is an additional caliper on the brake rotor that is activated only electronically when pressing the Park button on the shift stalk.

When hill start assist is engaged, you can let off the brake pedal almost all the way (up to where the brake lights would still stay on) and hill assist will remain engaged. It will still give you about 2 seconds after the pedal is completely released.

If you release the brake pedal with the assist engaged and press again (even lightly) before it lets go, it will remain engaged. In this scenario, you would feel that you cannot press the pedal very far, since the hydraulic system is already pressurized.

I believe that the climate control when remotely turned on will only stay on for 30 minutes.

I'm not sure whether Don's (Big Daddy's) instructions will keep the climate controls on beyond 30 minutes either.

Larry
First of all, thanks to Big Daddy for telling how to leave the climate control the on. I've now used it a couple of times and it works well.
To Larry, I tested it and the AC stayed on for well over half an hour when leaving the car like this.

When i keep pressed roof of key fob it does not open all windows. Has this feature been taken away?

yes, very early on - someone (a few people?) have tight pants that push the roof button while sitting. it happened to them in the rain (whatever this rain thing is?)
It needs to be returned. maybe Tesla could use the frunk button 2 second hold instead? surprised it hasn't been done yet
but it took > 2 years just to change the default energy graph screen setting from instantaneous to average. I imagine it is in firmware that will come out in a couple of years :wink:

Last edited: