Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things you may not have discovered about your Model S?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm fairly certain that when the software was updated to enable Hill Assist it said the parking brake would be applied for about 1 second after brakes were released. It makes sense because parking brake is an additional caliper on the brake rotor that is activated only electronically when pressing the Park button on the shift stalk.

Nope. It's the regular brakes. I had my son stand beside the car in my driveway. There is no noise from the electric parking brake while Hill Assist is engaged. When I did hit the Park button, he could hear the very distinctive zip sound it makes as it engages.

yes, very early on - someone (a few people?) have tight pants that push the roof button while sitting. it happened to them in the rain (whatever this rain thing is?)
It needs to be returned. maybe Tesla could use the frunk button 2 second hold instead? surprised it hasn't been done yet
but it took > 2 years just to change the default energy graph screen setting from instantaneous to average. I imagine it is in firmware that will come out in a couple of years :wink:

Can confirm this feature was removed due to some false positives. Multiple folks have suggested using a double-click and hold to prevent that (other cars operate this way, apparently), and I myself have relayed this suggestion to Tesla, but to no avail (yet). I suggest you send an e-mail or let your service center know. The more requests, the higher the priority.

I wanted to give a little PSA for all the Android users out there. The browser in Model S seems to have full compatibility with Android Device Manager, in that you can access your device list, ring the device, and lock/erase a device. GPS map will also lock in on the last known location and give a timestamp (inaccurate time in my case, but probably something to do with timezone settings). I found this especially useful after leaving my phone somewhere and being several miles down the road. Obviously my tablet did not have internet, so I turned to the in-car browser for help. This is a stark difference from Apple's solution which seems to require Safari to even login (at least last time I checked).
Obviously I don't believe that Tesla had this specific feature in mind when they were implementing their build of Mozilla, but it sure is nice to see something so useful come in handy in a pinch.

I wanted to give a little PSA for all the Android users out there. The browser in Model S seems to have full compatibility with Android Device Manager, in that you can access your device list, ring the device, and lock/erase a device. GPS map will also lock in on the last known location and give a timestamp (inaccurate time in my case, but probably something to do with timezone settings). I found this especially useful after leaving my phone somewhere and being several miles down the road. Obviously my tablet did not have internet, so I turned to the in-car browser for help. This is a stark difference from Apple's solution which seems to require Safari to even login (at least last time I checked).
Obviously I don't believe that Tesla had this specific feature in mind when they were implementing their build of Mozilla, but it sure is nice to see something so useful come in handy in a pinch.

Good to know. Thanks for sharing!

I can understand Tesla wanting to avoid accidental double-taps opening all windows. Instead of removing the function altogether (forget which release it happened with), I would rather have it be made more of an unlikely sequece. For instance, I seem to recall some of my Checy rentals back in the day would require you to press lock, then tap the auto-start, then press and hold the auto-start, then the car would finally turn itself on. A bit annoying, but lock, tap, tap and hold really did make sure you truly wanted it to start. This could have been set up similarly for the Model S.

My Ford Fusion Energi's remote has a lock and unlock buttons. Press, press and hold unlock, rolls down all 4 windows and vents the sunroof. Press, press and hold the lock and it rolls up all the windows and closes the sunroof. I have closed them from the dry lobby when it started to rain while I was charging.

How could would it be to add that to the remote somehow. Center button: Press and hold to open all; press, press and hold to close all?

Also missing... a panic button. My proposal is Press, Press and holding both truck and Frunk buttons. Downside is it'd require two hands or a somewhat dexterous one.

My Ford Fusion Energi's remote has a lock and unlock buttons. Press, press and hold unlock, rolls down all 4 windows and vents the sunroof. Press, press and hold the lock and it rolls up all the windows and closes the sunroof. I have closed them from the dry lobby when it started to rain while I was charging.

How could would it be to add that to the remote somehow. Center button: Press and hold to open all; press, press and hold to close all?

This was originally programmed for a single long press, but disabled after some people experienced some false positives due to overloaded pockets or sitting on their keys (I'm speculating). I've asked multiple times for a double click and hold workaround, but have not seen it yet. I suggest you e-mail [email protected] and make the same request. Perhaps if they get enough, they will prioritize it.

This was originally programmed for a single long press, but disabled after some people experienced some false positives due to overloaded pockets or sitting on their keys (I'm speculating). I've asked multiple times for a double click and hold workaround, but have not seen it yet. I suggest you e-mail [email protected] and make the same request. Perhaps if they get enough, they will prioritize it.

At the very least, I would love to have an close command on the key fob! That way, you "accidentally" close your windows and pano if it starts raining!

Just noticed this "feature".
A few days ago I scheduled a nighttime charge and it worked properly.
Today I wanted to charge so I plugged the car in and the "scheduled charge" screen came up. I tried to cancel the scheduled charge, turn off scheduled charge, start charging immediately, etc. and nothing worked. It was stuck on the scheduled charge screen. It wouldn't even close the window.
I unplugged the charger and was then able to change the settings to charge now.
I don't understand why the scheduled charge locks the screen when plugged in. It seems to me that you might want to change the settings (time to start, charge level, charge rate, etc.) I can't see any useful purpose to locking the screen.

Well, I think remotely honking the horn, flashing the lights and venting the pano roof might be a bit distracting. It just seems odd that Tesla would even allow it. I would think when the car is on, they should limit the app to receiving data only (for tracking) but remote control of anything should be a big no-no.

Imagine how distracting it would be for the car jacker too... I imagine they believe only authorized adults would be granted remote access to your car.
;-)

Last edited:
Just noticed this "feature".
A few days ago I scheduled a nighttime charge and it worked properly.
Today I wanted to charge so I plugged the car in and the "scheduled charge" screen came up. I tried to cancel the scheduled charge, turn off scheduled charge, start charging immediately, etc. and nothing worked. It was stuck on the scheduled charge screen. It wouldn't even close the window.
I unplugged the charger and was then able to change the settings to charge now.
I don't understand why the scheduled charge locks the screen when plugged in. It seems to me that you might want to change the settings (time to start, charge level, charge rate, etc.) I can't see any useful purpose to locking the screen.

Weird. I don't do this all the time, but sometimes, and it always worked fine for me to just press the "start charging now" button.

iCloud from any browser for apple devices

Can confirm this feature was removed due to some false positives. Multiple folks have suggested using a double-click and hold to prevent that (other cars operate this way, apparently), and I myself have relayed this suggestion to Tesla, but to no avail (yet). I suggest you send an e-mail or let your service center know. The more requests, the higher the priority.

My Ford Fusion does this with the lock and unlock buttons. Press unlock button for unlocking, press and press & hold for windows down or up (on the lock button).