Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things you may not have discovered about your Model S?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely didn't know that. but wouldn't a double-click on the roof button (doors) do the same thing... it unlocks all doors, wakes car, and releases charge handle. I guess one-click on trunk button is slightly easier, but I just tend to do the "open the doors" button if I want to wake the car faster than the normal "approach". (tech package)
Currently this is my method. I have the auto-proximity extend turned off and just reach into to my pocket and double click to initiate unlock and start up sequence. I do the opposite when leaving the car. The advantage is I can control when it happens- nice for showing off the car. The great thing is we have options! I'll try other sequences over time

Definitely didn't know that. but wouldn't a double-click on the roof button (doors) do the same thing...

If you have your key handy that certainly works, too, but in practice I almost never have my key out. It's only a minor hassle to dig it out my purse – but I was happy to find a way to optimize.

I tried it but all that happened is that the hatch opened. I'm not on the latest software though.

Interesting. It may be version dependent, or the behavior may depend on the car being "asleep" to some extent (though obviously not the deeper sleep that has been removed in 4.2 since I still use the technique on 1.19.42.) In the morning I find that if I press lightly for a moment on the latch the brake lights flash as it unlocks – and I'm good to go.

If you have your key handy that certainly works, too, but in practice I almost never have my key out. It's only a minor hassle to dig it out my purse – but I was happy to find a way to optimize.

Interesting. It may be version dependent, or the behavior may depend on the car being "asleep" to some extent (though obviously not the deeper sleep that has been removed in 4.2 since I still use the technique on 1.19.42.) In the morning I find that if I press lightly for a moment on the latch the brake lights flash as it unlocks – and I'm good to go.

Yes, the first time you press the hatch latch it unlocks the car and presents the door handles. Then a second press actually opens the hatch. Exhibited the same behavior on 4.0 (I'm running 4.2 now).

But for me it's a tossup which is the most convenient method of unlocking the charging cable, approaching the car as I do from the left rear quarter: a sidestep toward the rear driver-side door, automatically unlocking the car when it recognizes the fob; stepping over to the hatch and unlocking the car with a single press of the latch, or just reaching into my pocket to double-click the top of the fob itself.

I get this behavior also, but I have to double press the button under the tailgate. The first press seems to have the car 'look' for the key. The second tap seems to unlock everything (my 'dome' light turns on, I think, not 100% sure, my handles extend). Either way it is obvious when the car unlocks. A third press will open the tailgate. But after the second press I can remove the charge cord.

If the car is unlocked the tailgate will just open, but if the car is unlocked the charge cord will also disengage when you press the button on it.

"CHARGE AMPERAGE SETTING IS GPS-AWARE: If you select a lower current limit at one location, the car will remember that setting and apply it for all future charging sessions at that location. Charging at another location will occur at the default amperage setting."

​Does anyone know if the above feature is only available on cars with the tech package? Sounds like a very useful item and would be disappointed if it wasn't available on all cars since I believe all cars have the GPS available with or without getting the tech package.

Here's a tip for those who, like me, back into their garage. You can't unplug the charge cable until the car has been unlocked, and I was getting tired of walking to the driver's door and back again before unplugging in the morning. The easiest way to unlock the car when approaching from behind is to briefly press the latch used to open the hatch. The car will wake up and unlock but the hatch won't open. You can then use the button on the mobile charger to release the charge cable.
but wouldn't a double-click on your keyfob roof button (doors) do the same thing... it unlocks all doors, wakes car, and releases charge handle. I guess one-click on trunk button is slightly easier, but I just tend to do the "open the doors" button if I want to wake the car faster than the normal "approach". (tech package)
Ah I misunderstood. Thought original tip was to press hatch open button on the fob. Now I get it... press the latch button on the trunklid itself. :)

Last edited:
Up-Up-Down-Down-Left-Right-Left-Right B, A, Start enables god mode.

It works!

8431786046_d37aa82abf_z.jpg

4) IN-CALL FUNCTIONS: While on a call, clicking right roller button brings up a menu of choices such as hang up, mute microphone, or put the call on hold. [Todd Burch]

Not true for me - I have to first press the 'phone' button above the right scroll wheel. If I click the scroll wheel it resets the brightness (I have brightness control set as the only 'app' on the scroll wheel.

- - - Updated - - -

Couple of NAV suggestions if you have the tech package:
  1. The list of directions that pops over the 17" screen is scrollable up and down to see the complete list
  2. Pressing any of the items in the direction list will highlight it, and the map will reformat to highlight the appropriate section of the route. Pressing the item again will deselect it and the map will reset to its original view

Not true for me - I have to first press the 'phone' button above the right scroll wheel. If I click the scroll wheel it resets the brightness (I have brightness control set as the only 'app' on the scroll wheel.
corrected in post #1, thanks Nick

Couple of NAV suggestions if you have the tech package:
  1. The list of directions that pops over the 17" screen is scrollable up and down to see the complete list
  2. Pressing any of the items in the direction list will highlight it, and the map will reformat to highlight the appropriate section of the route. Pressing the item again will deselect it and the map will reset to its original view
Good ones... will add.

This may have been mentioned before - if not...

While on a phone call, pressing the voice command button brings up a phone menu for the call - end, mute or hold the call.

In all other modes, the voice command button activates the microphone's listening mode for a command.