Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things you may not have discovered about your Model S?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
does anyone know if there is a way to have the Nav continue to display (left of the speedo) showing current location, even when you are not actively "navigating" to a specific locaiton? I really like the topo view and would just assume have it continue to show continuously rather than revert to a blank screen when you do not have an address entered.

Not yet - but it would be a great option.

6) CHARGE PORT: If you have trouble opening your charge port door via the button on the charge connector, try aiming it at the defroster lines on the back windshield, which is apparently where the antenna is for this function. [rlowenth]

You can also simply "bop" the rearmost portion of the door (where it hinges) and pop the magnetic latch ajar mechanically.

Ok, here's a good one!

So I rented this video the other day on my iPad. Lots of action etc and great sound track. I was thinking it might be a good movie to watch while I'm charging the Model S during a road trip. Too bad I would have to listen to it on headphones or from the iPad speakers.... NOT TRUE!

Turn your car's audio source to your iPad and voila! Stereo surround! Wahoo!

Ok, here's a good one!

So I rented this video the other day on my iPad. Lots of action etc and great sound track. I was thinking it might be a good movie to watch while I'm charging the Model S during a road trip. Too bad I would have to listen to it on headphones or from the iPad speakers.... NOT TRUE!

Turn your car's audio source to your iPad and voila! Stereo surround! Wahoo!

Yeah, if you check your iPad/iPhone, it will list the Tesla on Airplay, but only sends the audio, no video.

I used to carry in my vehicle a portable air pump that plugs into a cigarette lighter socket when needed. It eliminates the need for having to go to a gas station to put air in my tires. I've had it for many years and have used it on several of my previous (non-electric) vehicles with no problems. I discovered, by accident, that if you plug the pump into the cigarette lighter socket (aka "power socket") of the Model S, it will immediately blow the 15A fuse. (I also own a Roadster and the same thing happened with that vehicle.) One would assume that a power socket in any modern car has enough power and a properly rated fuse to power any automotive accessory that can be plugged into it; especially on a high-tech car like this. Apparently I was wrong in that assumption. So my portable air pump is now useless.

Moral: don't plug a portable air pump into your Tesla power socket.

Have not tried this yet with my Model S but I have regularly plugged in my tire inflator into my roadster 12V socket without issue. Maybe your unit is drawing a lot of power.

With all 4 windows open and the roof open to the 80% position, the rear center seat belt vibrates in the wind. If I raise the rear driver side window, it changes the airflow and eliminates the vibration.

Found another simpler solution - slide the seat belt fastener from the bottom (by the seat) all of the way to the top of the belt, where it should stay. This seems to eliminate the vibration - at least so far... Another option could be to always have that seat belt fastened - but I was trying avoid that.

With all 4 windows open and the roof open to the 80% position, the rear center seat belt vibrates in the wind. If I raise the rear driver side window, it changes the airflow and eliminates the vibration.

Found another simpler solution - slide the seat belt fastener from the bottom (by the seat) all of the way to the top of the belt, where it should stay. This seems to eliminate the vibration - at least so far... Another option could be to always have that seat belt fastened - but I was trying avoid that.
Yet another solution - my wind buffeting problem went away instantly when I installed the rear parcel shelf.

Just got my parcel shelf. If you close the rear hatch - and then push the parcel shelf backward from over the rear seats, you can get the back of the parcel shelf to meet up close enough to the underside of the rear window to completely hide whatever's stored in the trunk.

Won't have to store things in the frunk or trunk well to hide them from now on!

Tap the Park button to extend the door handles.

Yeah pushing park will always extend the handles. It's a great feature!

I'm on 4.2 (.42) and hitting the park button on the stalk while in park doesn't extend the handles for me. Putting it in park to begin with does, however.

My car has never done this on 4.2, or 4.3. Does this work for almost everyone? My handles extend when I first put it in park. They also extend from the controls screen, and they auto extend appropriately. No amount of tapping, or pushing the Park button extends the handles. Am I missing something? This WOULD be a very convenient feature.

Just got my parcel shelf. If you close the rear hatch - and then push the parcel shelf backward from over the rear seats, you can get the back of the parcel shelf to meet up close enough to the underside of the rear window to completely hide whatever's stored in the trunk.

Won't have to store things in the frunk or trunk well to hide them from now on!

Also, if you press the accelerator, the car will move faster.

I was applying Rain-X to my windshield today and noticed the bulge noted by @lolachampcar elsewhere in the forums. You can't see it, but you can definitely feel a slight bulge about 6" down from the top which presumably provides some specific aero advantage. Very cool detail Tesla.

My car has never done this on 4.2, or 4.3. Does this work for almost everyone? My handles extend when I first put it in park. They also extend from the controls screen, and they auto extend appropriately. No amount of tapping, or pushing the Park button extends the handles. Am I missing something? This WOULD be a very convenient feature.

I'm running 4.3 now, most recently on 1.19.42.
I also tried to replicate this behavior but I'm sad to report that my car only extends the door handles after INITIALLY going into Park (from any other gear). If I wait until the handles retract (while remaining inside, still in Park), pushing the Park button again does nothing. I can also get them to extend from the screen as you mention. I agree with you that this behavior would be great but until confirmed by others, I'm assuming this was a misreport. Anyone able to confirm if this happens in your car?

Perhaps this has been listed before, but I don't have time to review the thread. I did just happen upon a simple tip. The "Control" button on the bottom left is a toggle. Of course we know it opens the control panel. I just discovered that it also closes the control panel. This is very helpful when driving. Clicking the small "x" to close the window with even slight road vibration while looking ahead can be a little tricky. Clicking the big button conveniently located in the bottom left is much more simple.

Andy

After a while, you might want to look at something other than the assortment of options provided at the top of the touchscreen. There is no way that I know of to defeat these choices and have just the Tesla logo or nothing at all. What I did was create a favorites folder in dropbox which I can then access via the web. I can then pull up photos of family, friends, pets, mistresses, etc and blow them up to full screen as a custom screen saver that you can rotate through. Nice alternative.