Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things you may not have discovered about your Model S?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You know what makes the touchscreen nutso? Wiping the dashboard with a medium nap microfiber cloth. Every time I clean my car's interior I have to undo the random things that got controlled, like seat heater in particular. I dont know exactly what is doing it but I have learned to check everything after a wipedown.
I think it was mentioned elsewhere that it's caused by static. That's a good reason to use screen cleaning mode.

You know what makes the touchscreen nutso? Wiping the dashboard with a medium nap microfiber cloth. Every time I clean my car's interior I have to undo the random things that got controlled, like seat heater in particular. I dont know exactly what is doing it but I have learned to check everything after a wipedown.

The Service Centre can add a ground wire to stop that behaviour.

Interesting. Yeah, I'll have to ask them about that. My car completely flips out from the static when cleaning the dash without screen cleaning mode. Before the mode was introduced, I'd reboot the screen to get a few seconds of screen cleaning time.

It will do some very odd things due the the static of cleaning the dash. The Nav map will get GPS wrong, the auto up/down will stop working on SOME windows, door handles stop working. It's all pretty random. All of these things are solved with a screen reboot afterward.

Never had that problem either. Maybe I have the ground strap that jerry33 mentions...

It is not a big deal. I was just responding to the people pulling off the trick of cleaning the screen without screen cleaning mode.

I hear ya. It's just I've never once had a problem cleaning the screen or dash in my car. Even with the new "Screen Cleaning" mode, I never use it. I have a small microfiber cloth that I fold over once or twice and wipe away. I also have used it on the dash, but lately have found I prefer a Swiffer cloth or California Duster for the dash top.

I have this exact same problem. I saw that someone said they can fix it with a ground wire. Odd my relatively recent car doesnt have that.

I have this exact same problem. I saw that someone said they can fix it with a ground wire. Odd my relatively recent car doesnt have that.

Fold the cloth in quarters and don't use liquids to clean. Mostly you will be wiping greasy finger prints off, the the microfiber does that well. The screen will not see your fingers through the 4 layers, where it usually does with one layer.

If you want to *clean* the screen, there is a cleaning mode.

Just looked back and saw that the duster I mentioned is the same as the California Duster someone else posted, just a different brand. Whichever one you use, it sounds like the dusters don't cause the problems the microfiber cloths do.

If I remember correctly, last time I had a California Duster in my hand at the local Orchard Supply it had some kind of wax coating on the bristles. I would be reluctant to smear that all over the place, especially on warmer surfaces.

Please correct me if i'm wrong about that.

If I remember correctly, last time I had a California Duster in my hand at the local Orchard Supply it had some kind of wax coating on the bristles. I would be reluctant to smear that all over the place, especially on warmer surfaces.

Please correct me if i'm wrong about that.

It does have a coating, but it works perfectly well on the dash and leaves no residue (regardless of heat). Also works well on the exterior on the car if there's a lot of dust/pollen in the air. The trick, if there is one, is not to press hards, just glide it over the surface to pick up all the dust. I doubt there's a limo or personal driver anywhere that doesn't have one of these stashed away in the glovebox.

The problem isn't with cleaning the screen. It's with cleaning the dash. I have the same problem, and screen cleaning mode isn't going to solve it, unfortunately.

Glad I saw these posts because I wondered if it was just me. Mine actually shows that it needs service as well as going crazy as I'm cleaning the dash. I have to undo things like seat heaters turning on etc when I'm done and the "car needs service" thing eventually goes away.

I have a large-ish (750GB) portable hard drive that I use for my music collection. It usually takes a considerable amount of time, >30 mins., to scan and re-index every time I plug it back in. However, I just got firmware 5.12 installed and when I plugged the drive back in tonight I was surprised to hear music start playing before I got out of the car - just a few seconds. The extremely long scan time has been a very frustrating situation since I've had the car, but it now seems like there's finally some caching going on. I hope this is a prelude to a much needed and long overdue media update in v6.0.

I also have a large music collection that I can access via USB hard drive. However, the Seagate drive that I use has a short proprietary cable, so I end up unplugging it most of the time because I don't like leaving it exposed in the car. It also takes a while to re-index each time it is reconnected. I'm curious what Aaron, and others, have come up with for concealing items in the center console. Tesla is still working on some console inserts, right...?

Thanks - Jeff

So can you explain how your music collection is set up on the usb drive ?