Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

THINK delivers first U.S.-built electric cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does this price point strike you? Now available for a lot less: Discontinued 2011 Think City Electric Cars For Sale: $22,500

I gotta be honest, if I didn't already have two payment books, I'd be awfully tempted.

This sums it up for me:

CAUTION: Buying cars from a closed automaker is a high-risk undertaking, and while Pohorsky says they come with a warranty, it's unclear that claims will be accepted into the future.

In this context this two-seat e car is over-priced.

Larry

I've never bought a new car, so I've never had a warranty. Never felt like I needed one either. Since my wife bought her 2009 Pontiac G6, it's only needed oil changes, tires and gas. So to be honest, not having a warranty isn't that big of a deal to me. But I am probably atypical. I would consider one of those new Saabs left around if it was a good deal.

As far as parts, if it did ever need some, I could probably track them down; I'm pretty resourceful. By the time it needed anything major it would probably be mostly used up anyway. Look at all those people who bought Daewoos at the end. They were cheap, they got a few good years out of them, and threw 'em away.

It's one thing not to have a warranty on a car for which you can buy parts at AutoZone or the junkyard, and on which every auto mechanic can work. It's quite another thing to buy a car that never quite made it to market from a company that never quite did either, using technologies that few have touched.

It's one thing not to have a warranty on a car for which you can buy parts at AutoZone or the junkyard, and on which every auto mechanic can work. It's quite another thing to buy a car that never quite made it to market from a company that never quite did either, using technologies that few have touched.

I agree, and that's definitely something to consider. It will certainly scare off the average person. But aren't electric cars supposed to be virtually maintenance free? :wink:

One thing you learn after a while in the auto parts business is that small manufacturers have very few proprietarty components, because they simply don't have the resources to engineer components, when off-the-shelf pieces are available. Shoot, these days even the majors are all buying subsytems from the same pool of suppliers.

In the comments section of the Think article, someone has posted a link which contains a lot of cross-referenced parts on the Think to their original sources. Many of these are EU-market pieces, but nothing's impossible to acquire.

I'll bet I have the brake pads for a Roadster on my shelf. All brake pads have an FMSI code. If I had a sample I could easily match them.

I can understand getting a Think if there is a community of Think owners you can cooperate with. Think is one of the most common EVs here in Norway, so here at least, it isn't too difficult to share information and work out problems.

Looking at the biggest EV forum here in Norway, common issues with the Think is that:

- The heater fails, due to air bubbles in the water system.
- Charging issues. Usually due to PCU, battery or charging cable
- The car slips into reverse from neutral. Due to a bad microswitch.
- Also some issues that can be resolved by turning it off and on again

You also have an incomplete parts list, and a supplier overview.

Anyway, if you buy a Think, I think it would help to speak Norwegian. :wink: