Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Think I’m gonna buy a Taycan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed, dealer said I can take it home today. I can’t get there to Thursday. The final debate is white vs black. I want white, wife wants black. It’s her car so I might have to cave in that. I’m just thinking about cleaning it.
I would be wary of a dealer selling a new car with an open recall and saying it's fine, come and get it, and we will even throw in that clear coat for $1000 off retail just for you. They are likely in violation of federal law and willing to break the law to make a sale. What else are they willing to violate if federal law isn't a concern to get that car off the lot?

not quite right, while every taycan has been recalled, the actual issue has affected a tiny number of cars and there is no stop sale in place
Agreed, dealer said I can take it home today. I can’t get there to Thursday. The final debate is white vs black. I want white, wife wants black. It’s her car so I might have to cave in that. I’m just thinking about cleaning it.
I would be wary of a dealer selling a new car with an open recall and saying it's fine, come and get it, and we will even throw in that clear coat for $1000 off retail just for you. They are likely in violation of federal law and willing to break the law to make a sale. What else are they willing to violate if federal law isn't a concern to get that car off the lot?
I don’t think that the dealer would break the law to sell a single unit. I’m guessing the inventory car I’m interested in has been updated. Porsche dealers aren’t lock used car lots. They provide what I’d say a better experience. I’ve bought a number of pricier cars from these folks. I don’t think they’re going to do anything stupid or try to get me to jump for some frivolous and meaningless add on.

from what I’ve read there is no stop sale or stop driving like the 991.1 GT3s.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
P Car owner and potential Taycan purchaser here as well.

Taycan is a wonderful car. You'll note that it feels heavier than a Model 3, similar to a Model S. The 4S is plenty of power for sure. Ride, fit and finish are far above any Tesla (although I have not driven the refreshed S which I hear may be somewhat comparable).

For empty nesters, it's great. I have two kids still in the house, and one is already over 5'10". For us, the Taycan sedan just doesn't work. Too cramped in the rear and the trunk. If I'm going to end up with a Taycan, it'll be the CT. But then again, I love wagons.

If you have PCars and a GT3 in particular, you already know the downside to the Taycan.....price / value. It just isn't even close.

Go the other way around. Replace the Tesla wall connector with a J1227 wall connector, and then use the J1227 to Tesla connector that comes with the Tesla to charge the Tesla. Will be the same or less than trying to order that janky reverse connector and way more reliable.

Reactions: Zer0t
Go the other way around. Replace the Tesla wall connector with a J1227 wall connector, and then use the J1227 to Tesla connector that comes with the Tesla to charge the Tesla. Will be the same or less than trying to order that janky reverse connector and way more reliable.
Thanks I actually spoke to my electrician about it and the Porsche is actually coming with the wall connector (it was an option but I bought one out of stock).

Well, I've been pretty clear that from a customer service perspective that I haven't run into any issues that so many have had when dealing with Tesla. That's until today.....they said they needed 24-48 hours to invoice the purchasing dealer and I called them Monday. Today is Saturday, they're not working like normal car finance companies and I received a note that they'll respond to my request about my request in 24-48 hours. Well, now I've gotten my chance at it. It's been confusing enough that they may lose a customer but I'll be reasonable and give them till Tuesday (6+ business days) to do something most bank/car finance companies do in about 5-10 minutes.

Does a Taycan come with a 240 volt connector of any kind or just a stupid 110v like my ordered plaid? Really pisses me off that I had to order a separate 240 v connector. My first two MS's came with one.
It came with one and there’s an option for the car to come with the wall charger as well. The one I bought has this option. I may switch out my Tesla one and charge my model Y off the Porsche one using the Tesla adapter.

I was also able to complete the deal today and get the Porsche home.

Really looking forward to your followup after the honeymoon. The plaid wait has me questioning our decision to sell our 90D. Hopefully it won't take too long. Never did go drive a Taycan.

Hey did they charge a market adjustment (charge more than MSRP) because of the new car shortage?

Really looking forward to your followup after the honeymoon. The plaid wait has me questioning our decision to sell our 90D. Hopefully it won't take too long. Never did go drive a Taycan.

Hey did they charge a market adjustment (charge more than MSRP) because of the new car shortage?
I bought a 4s and it was 3k off MSRP. In my area there are going for sticker at most. They are selling reasonably quickly. Go drive one for comparison purposes—can’t hurt.

It came with one and there’s an option for the car to come with the wall charger as well. The one I bought has this option. I may switch out my Tesla one and charge my model Y off the Porsche one using the Tesla adapter.

I was also able to complete the deal today and get the Porsche home.

How about a picture? I realize this is a tesla subforum, but there are plenty here who are just fans of EVs in general. I am also looking forward to what your impression is of living with the vehicle after some time in the seat. Your posts come across as very measured and thoughtful, so im looking forward to what you have to say.

Reactions: Spacep0d and Zer0t
How about a picture? I realize this is a tesla subforum, but there are plenty here who are just fans of EVs in general. I am also looking forward to what your impression is of living with the vehicle after some time in the seat. Your posts come across as very measured and thoughtful, so im looking forward to what you have to say.
I'll get a couple photos when I get a chance and promise to give a fair assessment after the honeymoon is over. Right now everything is great which isn't the real world. I may take it on a 1200 mile trip between my two homes. That'll provide some fodder for us to discuss.

I wondered onto the lot at a local Porsche dealer and saw a nice Taycan 4s ... The primary function of this car is for my wife, grocery getter, date night out, her getting to gym, etc. the range at 230 is acceptable given the use case. ...
After reading your post I decided to test drive a Taycan. My wife's MS is now eight plus years old and she is looking to get a new EV.

Thoughts on some differences from the MS:
1. Regen is not terribly strong. Unlike the MS which you can basically "one pedal" drive, this would be much more difficult with the Taycan.
2. Navigation will show you EV chargers. But it won't tell you ahead of time where you need to stop and charge. Apparently it will tell you on the way and re-direct you as needed.
3. It comes with three years of free thirty minute charging session on the EA network.
4. Handling, ride, and outside sound seemed about the same as the MS.
5. The infotainment system and vehicle controls are on two small screens. Similar layouts to current BMW/Mercedes/Audi layouts.
6. Frunk, trunk, and interior back storage space smaller.
7. Decent interior and exterior styling.
8. Decent build quality.
9. Charge ports on both sides of vehicles.
10. TACC and lane keeping seemed fine. The lane keeping was less subtle and appeared to be more active than on the MS.

Very nice EV! But not for us. My biggest disappointment is the weak regen compared to the MS. One of the pleasures of the Tesla drivetrain is the way it mimics manual transmission downshifting and one pedal driving. The navigation was also a little disappointing in regards to charger routing, relative to the MS.

• Informative
Reactions: oreobbq and SO16
After reading your post I decided to test drive a Taycan. My wife's MS is now eight plus years old and she is looking to get a new EV.

Thoughts on some differences from the MS:
1. Regen is not terribly strong. Unlike the MS which you can basically "one pedal" drive, this would be much more difficult with the Taycan.

this is by design, unlike a tesla the car will coast, applying the brakes is where the regen kicks in, the brakes themselves are only to bring the car to a stop. it is a different approach, it took me awhile to not miss the tesla's regen but now I know how to manually kick it in when needed
2. Navigation will show you EV chargers. But it won't tell you ahead of time where you need to stop and charge. Apparently it will tell you on the way and re-direct you as needed.
that's not correct, it will build a list of stops on the route.

I strongly disagree, the taycan drives more like a sports car, the MS is a grand touring car
again I disagree, the interior of the taycan is far superior to the tesla minimalist interiors
9. Charge ports on both sides of vehicles.
left side is for AC right side handles both DC and AC
10. TACC and lane keeping seemed fine. The lane keeping was less subtle and appeared to be more active than on the MS.
this is one place where the tesla is far better, AP is superior in everyway to innodrive, innodrive, lane keep works well but I use it far less than I used the AP
Very nice EV! But not for us. My biggest disappointment is the weak regen compared to the MS. One of the pleasures of the Tesla drivetrain is the way it mimics manual transmission downshifting and one pedal driving. The navigation was also a little disappointing in regards to charger routing, relative to the MS.
the nav on the porsche is weak, sometimes producing odd routes, I run waze via carplay

8. Decent build quality.
The handling is completely different than the MS. It's actually even better than the S as a luxury ride (comfort settings). I had a 2020 S with air suspension and it was far harsher than the Porsche when it isn't in sport or sport +.

I don't know what the outside seemed about the same, they are two completely different vehicles. The styling is subjective, I think both are far superior on the Porsche especially the interior of the cars.

WRT build quality I would say the Porsche is exceptional, panel gaps, paint, etc. There's not comparison with the Tesla as far as build quality goes.