Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Think I’m gonna buy a Taycan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats, OP! Looks like you chose cherry...is that cherry red or a type of black? I love that the Taycan exists and hope to drive one some day. Porsche has quite a reputation so I would expect their EV to live up to that. Other than the charging network and navigation, it sounds like a winner. When the Tesla Superchargers open up to all other marques you'll have the best of both worlds there anyway.

Congrats, OP! Looks like you chose cherry...is that cherry red or a type of black? I love that the Taycan exists and hope to drive one some day. Porsche has quite a reputation so I would expect their EV to live up to that. Other than the charging network and navigation, it sounds like a winner. When the Tesla Superchargers open up to all other marques you'll have the best of both worlds there anyway.
That won’t happen stateside until they convert all cars and stations to CCS1.

The marketing name is just cherry metallic but it would fall into the cherry red vs cherry black.

After reading your post I decided to test drive a Taycan. My wife's MS is now eight plus years old and she is looking to get a new EV.

Very nice EV! But not for us. My biggest disappointment is the weak regen compared to the MS. One of the pleasures of the Tesla drivetrain is the way it mimics manual transmission downshifting and one pedal driving. The navigation was also a little disappointing in regards to charger routing, relative to the MS.
My 2021 RWD has more recup/regen than my 2020 Model 3. Bonus that the 3 regen modes can be switched on the fly via steering wheel button.

I would be wary of the taycan at this point. the cars are having a lot of software related issues and porsche has not trained enough staff at the dealerships to deal with all the issues. service waits are out to about 4-6 weeks for the latest software update that addresses the recent recall. the OTA updates promised are not happening. In 6 months of owning the car the car has been back 2x for software updates and 1 time to address charging issues which wasn't addressed. 3 service visits in 6 months is not unheard of with this car.
Porsche really needs to get their act together because this really going to be exposed soon and it will tarnish the brand.

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Well, I'll certainly find out but I'm guessing like any electric car that's not Tesla it will never be good enough for the fan club. However, only time will tell how my experience goes. The only thing I can say negatively right now is the app isn't as clean and well laid as Tesla's. The driving however is completely on another level.
how does it compare to plaid?

Well, I'll certainly find out but I'm guessing like any electric car that's not Tesla it will never be good enough for the fan club. However, only time will tell how my experience goes. The only thing I can say negatively right now is the app isn't as clean and well laid as Tesla's. The driving however is completely on another level.
agreed, the driving as certainly far superior to the tesla but the software glitches, cars needing to go in for days for software updates, features not working are all big issues with the taycan.
If I cannot depend on car being able to charge while on an extended road trip how great the performance of the car is means little.

I would be wary of the taycan at this point. the cars are having a lot of software related issues and porsche has not trained enough staff at the dealerships to deal with all the issues. service waits are out to about 4-6 weeks for the latest software update that addresses the recent recall. the OTA updates promised are not happening. In 6 months of owning the car the car has been back 2x for software updates and 1 time to address charging issues which wasn't addressed. 3 service visits in 6 months is not unheard of with this car.
Porsche really needs to get their act together because this really going to be exposed soon and it will tarnish the brand.
in addition to my complaints about the car here's another issue, on a recent road trip, using the EA network was a disaster. two complete fail to charge forcing me to waste 1.5 hours on a 50kw charger.
Porsche is tarnishing their brand with their very buggy car and the unreliable charging makes taking road trips into scary adventures.

in addition to my complaints about the car here's another issue, on a recent road trip, using the EA network was a disaster. two complete fail to charge forcing me to waste 1.5 hours on a 50kw charger.
Porsche is tarnishing their brand with their very buggy car and the unreliable charging makes taking road trips into scary adventures.
That’s not really Porsche’s fault though. EA’s network is just buggy.

agreed, the driving as certainly far superior to the tesla but the software glitches, cars needing to go in for days for software updates, features not working are all big issues with the taycan.
If I cannot depend on car being able to charge while on an extended road trip how great the performance of the car is means little.
What software issues have you had? I had one update for charging but I hadn't noticed that anything negative was happening. I took it to the dealer and they did the update in about 30 mins and I was on my way.

I did a bit over 300 miles on a trip last week, found a 350kw charger in Edison NJ at EA and I have to check the logs and see what my SOC was and how long I charged for. I think the app will tell me under charging history but it was a fast charge.

If the government hands over 7 billion to Tesla they're gonna have to accept it to open on the network. Additionally, they'll make great revenue selling Tesla certified Tesla to CCS adapters.