Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Think I found replacement lug nuts for the 21" wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I orderd new ones from TESLA. $190.00. They now come with a black plastic cap. I was using the wrong lug nut socket which destroyed the nuts ( 4 tire changes) and got these from Amazon with the nylon sleeve to protect the wheel. Using an impact wrench is dynamite also. ( which virtually every tire shop does )
Chicago Pneumatic

I'd be concerned with the lug nut not having an exact match with the taper to flat transition and collar.

Last edited:
Yeah, sorry. I thought everyone playing along knew what I was talking about. Good to see you sorted it out in my absence.

I'm glad I did the switch. The OEM lug nuts were a PTA to deal with and I'm happy to have the Gorilla nuts installed.

MY GAUD, Lighted "T" man ! ! I would tell whomever is using a crescent wrench on your wheel lug-nuts to at LEAST use a metric crescent wrench. :crying:

That was with a 21mm socket -- the proper size. If the socket is not fully seated, and I mean fully, it will certainly mess up the cover part of the OEM lug (junk) nut. This is not an issue with the Gorilla nuts. Even a partial seating of the socket works.

Quick question. Are the lug nuts on the OEM 19" and 21" wheels the same part? 14x1.5 with a 21mm socket with an identical taper?

Hope so. I have both sets of wheels, but only one set of lugs. Car came with 21" wheels, but I got tired of replacing the summer tires so often. The service center made a deal to sell me a set of 19" OEMs that were shipped with a car in early 2013 while they were having some inventory bottlenecks with wheels. I kept the 21's but have been using the 19's since the swap.

Anyway, my lugs are showing some pretty bad mushrooming from rotations and tire changes, so I'm planning on getting the Gorillas. Seems like it is the same lug on both OEM sizes, but thought I'd check with this great knowledge base to be sure.

Another CLOSER match to the tesla lug nuts.

That was with a 21mm socket -- the proper size. If the socket is not fully seated, and I mean fully, it will certainly mess up the cover part of the OEM lug (junk) nut. This is not an issue with the Gorilla nuts. Even a partial seating of the socket works.

After finding this thread I went off to order the lugs mentioned, but noticed they do not ahve the clean flat top the factory lug nuts have.

I found these instead: Gorilla Lifetime Lugs 66147DX They have ALMOST the same specs as the 61147CX but have flat tops. :)
The only difference I can find is that these use 7/8" socket instead of the 21mm or 13/16". To me that means more surface to hold, but maybe slightly more weight to rotate...

Amazon.com: Gorilla Automotive 66147DX Chrome Ram Durango Grand Cherokee 7/8 Hex Lug Nut - Pack of 4 (14mm x 1.50 Thread Size): Automotive

Gorilla Resource:
Gorilla Automotive Products - Lug Nuts, Wheel Locks, Auto Security, Wheel Accessories

Mine are on their way this week after my tire shop bungled up the lugs using a 22mm on an impact run to loosen and tighten.

Enjoy!
~John

If you want hergestellt in Deutschland high quality materials, Otis imports Rad lugs and locks:

RAD Lug Nut 14mmx1.5, Cone Seat, Closed End, 19mm Hex
dsc_0085-500x350.jpg

The locks are unopenable by the $5 Walmart bolt removal that notoriously defeats the ubiquitous McGard locks.
RAD Lock Nut 14mmx1.5, Cone Seat, Closed End, 19mm Hex
dsc_0063-500x350.jpg

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
The 7/8 in nuts might be too big for the Tesla holes, i.e. your 7/8 in 6 point impact socket might be too large to fit in the OEM holes.

Always use 6 point impact sockets on wheel lug nuts!! '6 point' for contact area and 'impact' for strength. Use a 24 in breaker bar which gets you 130 ft lbs without too much strain.

My 2012 ModelS takes a 13/16 socket on one side of the car, but the other side requires a 21mm socket. Could it be that the assembly line used lug nuts from different suppliers and my car was caught in the transition?

The Gorilla/Amazon 13/16 nuts *do* look very interesting. Thanx omarsultan.
--

Not just 13/16 but SAE 13/16. I have a regular 13/16 socket which does not fit, but my socket marked SAE 13/16 does. 21mm also fits.

O

Sounds like your one socket is maybe undersized or the one marked SAE is oversized. A 13/16 socket is .8125 inches, a 21mm is slightly bigger at .827 so it should be a slightly sloppy fit on a 13/16 nut. 13/16 is a standard SAE size.

Careful on choosing aftermarket lug nuts. Even though the socket side of the nut is giving people headaches, the part that determines safety is the lower, tapered part of the lug nut. I dont know if your picture is just a "stock" picture or not, but the tesla's oem lug nut has a much great contact area with the wheel. Many aftermarket lug nuts are designed for toyotas, honda, fords with lot less weight and torque so some of the aftermarket lug nuts risk coming loose while driving.

If you want hergestellt in Deutschland high quality materials, Otis imports Rad lugs and locks:

RAD Lug Nut 14mmx1.5, Cone Seat, Closed End, 19mm Hex
View attachment 63366
The locks are unopenable by the $5 Walmart bolt removal that notoriously defeats the ubiquitous McGard locks.
RAD Lock Nut 14mmx1.5, Cone Seat, Closed End, 19mm Hex
View attachment 63365

So what's the consensus? Are the Gorilla 61148CX lugs recommended here a fair replacement? I don't have to worry about my P85D slinging its wheels off the mount? Even though the lug nut shape is totally different (stock: taper->shoulder, gorilla: pure taper)?

All, for those looking for the Black versions of these lug nuts that also fit aftermarket 19" Rial turbine copies then these are the lugs to get that will fit all wheels and are top quality.

61148BCX-1316TWS
New Black Gorilla LugNuts 14x1.5

I have found a great deal where a set are packaged with a quality Acorn 21mm socket with plastic sleeve, this is great at ensuring protection of the lug nut holes.

Here is the link to Steve White parts (from the Challenger Mopar site), shipped free with the Socket sleeve. About $57 shipped free

Also use Discount code 'cha1'

Black
http://store.revolutionparts.com/st...rn-21-mm-socket/61148bcx-1316tws/?parent=1003

Chrome
http://store.revolutionparts.com/st...corn-21mm-socket/61148cx-1316tws/?parent=1003

Absolutely No affiliation BTW!

Ampup, thanks for the links. Do you (or anyone) know if there is a difference in the lugnut holes of the original Rial Lugano wheels (the ones I have) and the newer ones that allow you to use the OEM Center cap?

Dont know to be honest but I very much doubt it, they shipped my Rials with new lugnuts as the OEM ones wouldn't fit easily. The Gorilla ones are slightly slimmer than the OEM, larger than the tirereack ones abut work for both sets and it doesn't require me to have the caps now (which are a pain to remove).