Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Think I found replacement lug nuts for the 21" wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just FYI, Tesla charges just $3 per replacement lug nut if you need originals.
I just picked up a set of replacements at the Houston Service Center -- $1.42 per nut, including the chrome "slip covers". Discount Tire was kind enough to refund the $30.74 cost of the replacements; all in all, they were pretty easy to deal with. Hopefully, they'll tell "that guy whose only job is to remove the tires" to (a) use a breaker bar, not an air gun, and (b) use the right size socket (21 mm rather than 3/4").

They did offer the helpful suggestion that I could have just hammered the 21 mm socket all the way onto each nut to "reform" the soft cap back to 21 mm, then pull the socket off with a pair of vise grips. :confused:

Here is the Gorilla "decoder ring" of the lug nuts mentioned:

HV5C5xC.jpg

Swinging the options considerations back to the Tesla OEM for a moment, as others have noted, Tesla is swapping out the soft chrome capped nuts with the open type + slide on caps. The caps come in different heights (tall / short) and come in black or chrome finish. From another member's (docrice) AWESOME site (mybluetesla.com):

2018-08-12-turbines-mounted-08.jpg

2018-08-12-turbines-mounted-06.jpg

2018-05-13-wheel-swap-prep-08.jpg

I just picked up a set of replacements at the Houston Service Center -- $1.42 per nut, including the chrome "slip covers". Discount Tire was kind enough to refund the $30.74 cost of the replacements; all in all, they were pretty easy to deal with. Hopefully, they'll tell "that guy whose only job is to remove the tires" to (a) use a breaker bar, not an air gun, and (b) use the right size socket (21 mm rather than 3/4").

They did offer the helpful suggestion that I could have just hammered the 21 mm socket all the way onto each nut to "reform" the soft cap back to 21 mm, then pull the socket off with a pair of vise grips. :confused:

What a great idea! Add a buggered up 21mm socket to the carnage....

Anyone have a source for black aftermarket lug nuts, possibly a set with locking or keyed socket? I got the gorilla from one of the Tesla online vendors but they are too wide to fit the aftermarket lug nut holes on my rims. Got a set from Discount, but they are at least twice as long as they need to be and stick out from the rim.

Anyone have a source for black aftermarket lug nuts, possibly a set with locking or keyed socket? I got the gorilla from one of the Tesla online vendors but they are too wide to fit the aftermarket lug nut holes on my rims. Got a set from Discount, but they are at least twice as long as they need to be and stick out from the rim.

Gorilla makes a black, small diameter, 1.4" tall lug, 26148SBC. Gorilla Automotive Products
Discount Tire can special order them, that's where I got mine from.

Thanks for the info, but not seeing the part number on the web link you listed? Those are exactly what I'm looking for though!!
See "Duplex Black Chrome" on that page and 26148BC*. The part number is visible in the asterisked "fine print" at the bottom of the page. "Available in Duplex Short (1.4" Overall). Chrome part# 26148S and Black Chrome part# 26148SBC."