TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Think twice before selling your 21s

Discussion in 'Model S' started by EKnight47, Dec 22, 2015.

1. EKnight47

EKnight47 Member

If you are like me and bought your car with 21" rims with hopes that it would be doable in your pothole-ridden state and found out quickly how wrong you are....think twice about selling those 21" rims. I say this because after replacing 3 of mine, I finally gave up and sold them and just stuck with my 19s that I had bought for winter driving. Unfortunately, when I went to trade in my 2013 S85 with the 19s on it, they deducted my trade in by a full $4500. While I can understand a reduction in value, but I was shocked at how much of a reduction. I sold them, but for less than half of what I lost on the trade. Might just be worth looking at them in your garage/basement until it's time to trade in. Won't make that mistake twice!

2. boonedocks

boonedocks Member

#2 boonedocks, Dec 22, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015

I really feel for you guys in "potholoe-ridden states" I have 16K+ miles on my 21"s and they have performed beautifully so far. Haven't had anything but good driving and great comments on their looks since I took delivery. My only complaint is that the 21's apparently aren't as efficient as the 19's.

3. green1

green1 Active Member

I think you have to decide if you're going to trade the car in, or sell it privately. For a private sale the car is likely worth every bit as much with 19s as 21s, and you probably get more money out of the deal overall anyway.
    Of course trade-in is far more convenient... so it's a trade-off (no pun intended)
    or, best of both worlds, find someone willing to pay you $4500 for your 21s....

4. Maaz

Maaz Member

I use 21s in Los Angeles California. Not the best roads either, and I have taken road trips to Sacramento and Vegas. 36k miles later and almost 3 years I have had no issues with rims besides a couple curb rash and about to be done with my second pair of tires in about 5k more miles.

5. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I'm in CT and run the 21s in the spring/summer/fall... and haven't had any problems so far (fingers crossed). But I also de-staggered my P85+ 9" rims in the rear for 8.5" rims... and I've wondered what Tesla would do with that if/when I ever want to trade it back in. I'd probably have better luck selling it privately. Maybe I should have just kept 9" rims.. didn't think about trade-in values last year when I did the swap.

6. EKnight47

EKnight47 Member

Sorry, but if you live in Southern CA or even Sacremento, you don't know what "not the best roads" are. Godspeed to you HankLloydRight! Maybe CT does a better job taking care of your streets. They're awful in MA.

- - - Updated - - -

Trading in cuts down the sales tax quite a bit too, though.

7. tliving

tliving Member

"pothole-ridden state" is an understatement here in Massachusetts. My 19s have 52K miles on them and going strong. Almost lost the entire car in a few big holes but some quick maneuvering kept me going. Thank goodness the Model S is nimble.

8. EKnight47

EKnight47 Member

And now....after being told my trade-in value would be reduced $4500, but that I'd be getting my 19" wheels and tires back that I bought for the car....I am being told that I am only getting my winter tires back. Of course this is after the deposit has been made.

9. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

That's insane.

They reduced the value of your trade by the retail cost of the 21" wheels, and told you you could keep your wheels. They need to stick to that, or add the value of 19" wheels to the value of your trade.

Edit: You should try to find someone local selling 21" wheels. I'm sure they'd be selling them for at least somewhat less than $4500. Whatever amount less than $4500 you pay is pure profit, provided Tesla will still increase your trade back to what it would have been by $4500. Plus that removes any issue concerning your other wheels.

10. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

It's insane how this **** keeps happening. To loyal, repeat customers.

I wouldn't let them get away with it.

11. EKnight47

EKnight47 Member

#11 EKnight47, Dec 22, 2015
    I have it in an email too....in plain black and white. I am told that they "see how there could be some confusion". It's not confusing at all to me. I was told that clearly it was a mistake and he meant tires and not wheels.

I will say, my sales guy was/is awesome. The delivery guy needs to work on the soft skills though. To be honest, it was easier to trade in my last jeep for a new one.

12. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

This makes no damn sense at all, unless they were giving you the full MSRP as the trade-in price.

edit - note that the RVG only gives you back 40% on options, which the 21" wheels are.

13. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

Great advice. Maybe that is why Tesla Motors offered $51K for mine. I am not selling the S at this time anyway.

My 21" wheels are stored away. A Tesla employee did mention that when selling Model S, to put them back on. Now I know why.

It's the another reason I ordered the Model X with the 22" wheels. Once the Ludicrous fun is done, 20" wheels and tires can be purchased for better tire wear and a smoother ride.

14. EKnight47

EKnight47 Member

#14 EKnight47, Dec 22, 2015
    The guys at the Dedham store were shocked about this $4500 deduction as well. This call was not made by them, but by someone on the west coast.

- - - Updated - - -

Because it was a year end inventory purchase, they through some other things in to make it worth while....that's why I pulled the trigger. Otherwise, no way.

15. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

One day Tesla is going to need repeat customers. Until then, children are in charge and it is their way or the highway.

16. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

That day will come when another manufacturers makes a luxury sports oriented mass produced EV.

17. EKnight47

EKnight47 Member

I guess. I for one have no issue jumping back to an ICE if the sales process is the same next time around.

18. green1

green1 Active Member

Depends on your jurisdiction how much that matters. Where I am, the maximum sales tax I could pay on a fully loaded P90DL without trading in anything would be about $9000 CAD (about $6500 USD) Assuming the trade in is valued at half the value of the new car, that's only $4500 CAD ($3250 USD) in tax savings, which is less than the amount they're screwing you over on the wheels, and private sales generally net a higher dollar figure than trade in anyway (and likely by more than that $4500 CAD ($3250 USD)
    And those calculations are on a fully loaded P90DL a base 70 is less than half the cost, and therefore less than half the tax.

In a jurisdiction with higher sales taxes it might make more of a difference, but here it's hard to imagine a good reason to trade in a car other than not wanting to deal with the hassle of a private sale.

19. CuriousG

CuriousG Member

That's $1500 more than they offered for my potential trade in car. I declined their offer.

20. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

I've posted this elsewhere but it seems relevant here.

Tesla uses a as a network of wholesalers to provide competitive bids for ICE trades.
    One of theses business partners offered $9k more for my P+ then Tesla but Tesla would not do a courtesy trade so I could keep the $4500 in FL sales tax credit. They told me the only way THEY WOULD GIVE me the tax credit is if I took their offer.

Two things stood out here. First, Tesla's own wholesalers were offering $9k more for my car and that did not seem to bother Tesla.

Second, Tesla had no problem using its statutory responsibility to collect sales tax as leverage to get me to accept a low ball offer. The sales tax is between me and the state. Tesla is involved only as a mechanism to collect that tax yet they feel entitled too it.

There are no polite words to use for those practices. Funny how Tesla takes issue with NADA.