TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Think we'll ever have 3rd party apps?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by morbot, Mar 2, 2016.

1. morbot

morbot Member

I haven't heard any discussion on this in awhile, and when I searched there were several posts from back in 2014 predicting we'll have it by 2015 :rolleyes:

Anyone have any insight? Has this come up in any interviews or speeches lately?

Kinda seems unlikely at this point, which is too bad. I dont think we were ever promised it, but I think a lot of us had hoped it'd be a possibility. Being able to replace the default media player is something a lot of people would like I think. Or being able to use Waze instead of default nav would probably be my #1, so I wouldn't have to glance to the phone so often.

2. wayner

wayner Active Member

I am guessing no and that we will see CarPlay and AndroidAuto instead. But it would be really nice if they could make the browser a little faster and more functional.

3. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

No, you will not see third party apps. Elon has said that they changed their direction and that they are going to screen mirroring of Android/iPhone devices now. Though I'm pretty sure he mentioned that it was just screen mirroring, that you wouldn't be able to use touch on the 17" to control it. (Or maybe he was saying that was the part that was difficult and holding things up.)