Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about a Model S... is now the time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking about adding a pre-owned Model S to my garage for commuting. I drive about 20K miles a year and dig the idea of not worrying about maintenance, stopping for gas, etc.

Still debating on a model, even though I hear that the 85 models are the sweet spot for buying pre-owned, but Im curious if current preowned prices are inflated along with the rest of the car marketplace?

Currently use a GX460 as my daily and my wife drives a LX570. Im 6'6" so I'd like something comfortable enough to use with our two youngsters as well. They are 8 and 6.

If you ever plan to do road trips, buy the biggest battery you can afford. Depending on the model year, that’s either the 100 or Long Range. I have a 2018 S100D now and had a 2016 S85 before that, and the additional 70 miles of rated range makes a big difference on road trips.

Reactions: Wol747
Thinking about adding a pre-owned Model S to my garage for commuting. I drive about 20K miles a year and dig the idea of not worrying about maintenance, stopping for gas, etc.

Still debating on a model, even though I hear that the 85 models are the sweet spot for buying pre-owned, but Im curious if current preowned prices are inflated along with the rest of the car marketplace?

Currently use a GX460 as my daily and my wife drives a LX570. Im 6'6" so I'd like something comfortable enough to use with our two youngsters as well. They are 8 and 6.
Now is not the time and you shouldn’t even think about getting an 85 pack. They are among the worst packs Tesla ever made.

If you think you won’t have to worry about maintenance in a 7 year old Model S, you are in for a serious reality check.

Which is "the one to buy"? I thought that an 85 with the warranty motor replacement would be the sweet spot from what i've read but obviously still open to options.
If you can get a 100 pack or pre-refresh LR, that is the way to go.

Even a 75 would be better than the 85 packs.

If none of those options work, you should seriously consider a MY instead. New battery tech trumps anything the legacy vehicles have to offer.

Reactions: krsgio
I would say you should make a priority list of features/options that are important to you in order. i.e., battery? Autopilot 1 vs 2, performance vs standard, awd vs rwd, etc.

Then shop....

If you get anything older than 3 years I suggest an extended warranty with XCare. the big leaps in tech/changes seem to be 2016-2016 model year when they facelifted, and then 2019 when they moved to Raven platform.

It's all personal preference in the end and what's actually available.

Reactions: Yurand
I appreciate the feedback greatly!

Im only looking for a car that can handle my daily commute reliably. ~60 to 100 miles daily.

Would love to live with one for a week or so to see if its for me. I see theres PLENTY of Teslas on Turo so I might have to have a taste using that resource before I completely commit.

As far as Model 3, and Model Y. Im looking for something roomy enough for the kids in the back. Remember I a tall guy. I'd rather not have another SUV in the garage also. If I were going after an SUV i'd really love to have a Mustang Mach-E GT. As a long time Mustang owner (22 years+) it seems like a neat car.

Which is "the one to buy"? I thought that an 85 with the warranty motor replacement would be the sweet spot from what i've read but obviously still open to options.
I have a 85 from mid-2015. Love it. Will try to keep it forever.
That being said, know that older batteries may fail, as any older stuff. They are covered by a 8y unlimited miles warranty. Same for the drive unit. So ours is still covered until mid 2023. New battery is 22k, new DU is 6k.

85 batteries have all had their supercharging speed software reduced by Tesla. We still use our S for our roadtrip, but it now needs about 30% more charging time. Do not trust what the navigation announce on charge time, add 30%.
Now this might not be a concern to you, and in that case, an 85 will be fine.

Also, be prepared for some plain wear and tear repair like door handles or suspension arms.

Just want to share my experience, other had maybe less expenses. And again, love our S and not about to let it go.

Reactions: TwistedGray
I had a 2017 90D with rev 3 pack. Zero issues. Only sold it as last summer I was offered(and accepted) more than I paid for it, and went to the refresh as the list of improvements from 2017 to 2022 model S's is too long to list

Unless you intend to keep the car for ever, remember that the battery WILL degrade - usually not a huge amount, but - and if you think of selling on after a long time a higher achievable range will be much more saleable.

You don't really want an old S. Best deal money can buy is

Gp5JoTU.png

Reactions: house9
Im only looking for a car that can handle my daily commute reliably. ~60 to 100 miles daily.
Really any Model S, or any Tesla for that matter, will have no problem with that at all.
As far as Model 3, and Model Y. Im looking for something roomy enough for the kids in the back. Remember I a tall guy.
I’m 6’5”. In a comfortable driving position there’s no room behind me in a model S for any reasonably sized person. Not sure how big your kids are, but my 12 and 15 year olds balk at the idea of sitting in the back of the S these days for any longer than 20 minutes.

If you ever plan to do road trips, buy the biggest battery you can afford. Depending on the model year, that’s either the 100 or Long Range. I have a 2018 S100D now and had a 2016 S85 before that, and the additional 70 miles of rated range makes a big difference on road trips.
So what you're saying, if one can afford buying new, forget Tesla, go for highest range EV you can afford, like Lucid?

• Disagree
Reactions: glide and Wol747