Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about a Model S... is now the time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Obviously, we should all carry around a thousand pounds of extra batteries for every little errand because it makes a “big difference” three times a year.
Hey, I've always said there is such a thing as enough range, which is even different for different people. However, so many people always keep on saying range is king, "you should get the longest range you can afford" (which is exactly the statement I was replying to, in case you missed it). Of course even Elon was touting 500+miles range until others started making longer range EV's (remember the cancelled Plaid+ that was going to best Lucid? Tesla even took reservations on that car so it wasn't just a drunken Tweet). Then he Elon realized that batteries have weight and most people don't need 500 miles? So what happened? Did Elon think battery weight is insignificant until he saw Lucid Air? Or does he just spin his story to whatever is convenient, such as "Radar is the best key tech for FSD, it can even see multiple cars in front of you!", then "Radar is useless, nobody needs to see more than one car in front of them!"?

Hey, I've always said there is such a thing as enough range, which is even different for different people. However, so many people always keep on saying range is king, "you should get the longest range you can afford" (which is exactly the statement I was replying to, in case you missed it). Of course even Elon was touting 500+miles range until others started making longer range EV's (remember the cancelled Plaid+ that was going to best Lucid? Tesla even took reservations on that car so it wasn't just a drunken Tweet). Then he Elon realized that batteries have weight and most people don't need 500 miles? So what happened? Did Elon think battery weight is insignificant until he saw Lucid Air? Or does he just spin his story to whatever is convenient, such as "Radar is the best key tech for FSD, it can even see multiple cars in front of you!", then "Radar is useless, nobody needs to see more than one car in front of them!"?
For me the 335 mile range I have is more than adequate for all situations I have encountered. I've made numerous cross country drives, including climbing Pikes Peak multiple times with no issues. The increase in supercharger locations makes range even less an issue. I never outdrive my range without wanting/needing to stop first. Location and personal preferences most certainly affect this but for me it is all I have ever needed.

Sorry, I should have been more clear in my sarcasm that I was understanding and agreeing with your skepticism of the “always buy as much range as you can afford” pearl of wisdom.

85 is a financial sweet spot because that battery had issues. You will pay more for a 100 as that battery pack was considered a significant upgrade.

Right now all Tesla models are in relatively high demand. Model S is a great looking and desirable car in all configuration.

90s and 100s had much higher degradation than the 85s. Plenty of 95s also charged nerfed.

90s for sure were generally dogs, but I thought 100s so far have been the best of the bunch?

I've seen enough posts like this:

To conclude that although not as bad as 90s, not as good as 85s either...unless your one of those unfortunate few still charge capped by charge-gate.

Reactions: ucmndd