Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about buying, a few questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious why the Model S gets better range with AWD when the model 3 gets less.

-Don- Reno, NV

The 3 uses a different type of motor in the rear- it's more efficient than anything used on the S.

The front motor in the 3 however is the same type as used in the S, so when you use it's inherently less efficient than a car using only the rear 3 motor.

Additionally the S is able to shift the front motor into low/no power mode and let it freewheel at cruising speed. I believe this is possible with the induction motor at the front of the S. The 3 has a permanent magnet motor for the front axle which cannot be switched off to cruise. However the induction motor of the S generates significantly more heat, or perhaps its worse at shedding heat (I'm not totally clear maybe both). Either way it means that the 3 can be driven harder before the heat soak becomes a performance issue because power needs to be cut to prevent overheating.

Additionally the S is able to shift the front motor into low/no power mode and let it freewheel at cruising speed. I believe this is possible with the induction motor at the front of the S. The 3 has a permanent magnet motor for the front axle which cannot be switched off to cruise. However the induction motor of the S generates significantly more heat, or perhaps its worse at shedding heat (I'm not totally clear maybe both). Either way it means that the 3 can be driven harder before the heat soak becomes a performance issue because power needs to be cut to prevent overheating.

You have that backward.

The perm magnet motor on the 3 is the rear motor.... (or only motor for RWD models)

The front one is induction like the S.

Tesla Model 3 Motor — Everything I've Been Able To Learn About It (Welcome To The Machine) | CleanTechnica

Think you might be confused, see the above article. The front is a PMSRM motor I believe.

I think you might be confused.

Your article does not support your claim.

The article is, pretty clearly, discussing the rear wheel drive model 3. (one way you can tell is the AWD model hadn't even been released yet when it was published)

And explaining it has a permanent magnet motor.

Which is in the rear.

Since that's the only motor in the rear wheel drive car.

In contrast, here's an article from a couple of months later when the dual motor cars were announced-

Tesla Model 3 dual motor, AWD, performance version specs revealed by Elon Musk - Roadshow

CNET said:
Dual-motor Model 3 sedans will employ an AC induction front motor (like the Model S and Model X), and a switched reluctance, partial permanent magnet rear motor
(Bold added)

Last edited:
I did the test drive, but on the performance model. Its acceleration is ridiculously fast. Half that acceleration that would be fine with me. Seems to me that deceleration regen is a bit too much at slow speeds, but is just about right for the freeway. Anyway, when I got there, I decided on the blue as they had the blue right next to the red and I couldn't make up my mind so I went with the blue simply because it cost a thousand bucks less.

I placed my order, but I will have to wait as they have nothing nearby that I wanted. Might be next year that I take delivery which means I lose half the rebate.

I ordered the AWD, not the performance model, black interior, blue exterior.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Last edited:
Great news. I'm sure you will love the car.
Now some better news. I got an email yesterday (Friday), just a few hours ago, that said my Tesla Model 3 will be delivered this Sunday (Oct 14, 2018), to Rocklin, CA! I now have my VIN number and all, of the unseen car. That was a very short 3 months wait!

So how does this work when delivered on a Sunday? Will I be able to pick it up then? I am financing and I have not heard a word about that, so I don't have a clue what is going on. Is there some type of approval that has to be completed first from the bank? Will there be people on Sunday where my Model 3 will be delivered, or will I have to wait until Monday or perhaps even longer?

I wasn't expecting my "one to three months" wait to be less than a week.

I just came back to Reno a couple of days ago. Looks like I will head for my Auburn place later today after I wake up. Only 99 miles door to door and I will be riding my Zero electric motorcycle back, the same way I got here a couple of days ago. I can make it all the way on a single charge (barely), but I can charge right at the half way point, Boreal Ski Resort right near the summit--all downhill from there. I think I can also recharge in Truckee, as I just opened an account with GreenLots.

-Don- Reno, NV

Reactions: Dan Detweiler
3rd party financing or through Tesla? If 3rd party, I would not be surprised if they have to delay your delivery if you don't have financing already secured. Normally the bank wants to see a signed MVPA (which Tesla can usually email you a day or two before) before they will release the funds. If you are going through Tesla that process may be more streamlined though.

Good luck!

3rd party financing or through Tesla? If 3rd party, I would not be surprised if they have to delay your delivery if you don't have financing already secured. Normally the bank wants to see a signed MVPA (which Tesla can usually email you a day or two before) before they will release the funds. If you are going through Tesla that process may be more streamlined though.

Good luck!
Through Tesla, but they use US Bank, based on the info. I have received so far, and I see nothing from US Bank. Most of my other accounts are through US Bank and I see no new loans on their website when I log in, or any clue anything is happening with them.

I guess I will soon find out how all this works.

I will be headed back to Auburn within a couple of hours.

-Don- Reno, NV

I picked up my shiny new blue AWD Tesla yesterday. The place in Rocklin was quite crowded on Sunday with both workers and customers picking up their new Teslas.

I already drove the car to Reno & back just for the drive. Left yesterday and back to Auburn today. The car can easily do the round trip on a single charge.

Here is some info. that others who want to buy might want to know:

I didn't realize on line, where it said "US Bank" it meant the loan was already approved by US Bank. That was fast, as it only took a day for the loan approval after the Tesla order.

It really takes a minimum of around $12,500.00 to get possession of the new car. $2,500.00 to order the car, the $5,000.00 down payment, the CA Sale Tax and registration fees (around another 5K$ total) , etc. that must be paid up front.

Only the ordering can use a credit card. But they accepted a personal check for the rest.

This car is sure fun to drive. I think it will probably take me a year to find all the countless features. I just now found the garage door opener in the Tesla's screen and now have it working.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Reactions: stonelance and Tam
Have you found the owners manual yet? :)
I quickly looked at the owner's manual before I had the car as it's on the internet (as well as in the display in the Tesla M3). However, I prefer to only look at the manual after I have questions about something I discovered.

I also just discovered the blue Tesla on my Android Tesla app is not just a picture. I left the trunk open and it shows on the app.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Now some better news. I got an email yesterday (Friday), just a few hours ago, that said my Tesla Model 3 will be delivered this Sunday (Oct 14, 2018), to Rocklin, CA! I now have my VIN number and all, of the unseen car. That was a very short 3 months wait!

So how does this work when delivered on a Sunday? Will I be able to pick it up then? I am financing and I have not heard a word about that, so I don't have a clue what is going on. Is there some type of approval that has to be completed first from the bank? Will there be people on Sunday where my Model 3 will be delivered, or will I have to wait until Monday or perhaps even longer?

I wasn't expecting my "one to three months" wait to be less than a week.

I just came back to Reno a couple of days ago. Looks like I will head for my Auburn place later today after I wake up. Only 99 miles door to door and I will be riding my Zero electric motorcycle back, the same way I got here a couple of days ago. I can make it all the way on a single charge (barely), but I can charge right at the half way point, Boreal Ski Resort right near the summit--all downhill from there. I think I can also recharge in Truckee, as I just opened an account with GreenLots.

-Don- Reno, NV
Congrats!

As someone that waited 891 days for mine...and took delivery last Monday, I am extremely jealous (but happy for you). You will most definitely love the car.

Dan

Good question. I guess they can request something that is not in their guideline but how likely is that?

The website says if they want to verify income, they will ask an applicant to sign off a Federal Income tax report for them to look at. They never mention California Income Tax forms or other state income tax forms.
Now that I have the facts and have completed the CA rebate (all approved--just waiting for the $2,500.00 check) I should mention how it works when I live both in CA and NV.

I file no CA State Tax Return as Reno, NV is my primary residence.

There was no problem using a CA Real ID Card in place of a CA driver's license. I also gave them the FIT income form with my Reno, NV address and etc.

I had to prove my CA residence a few different ways but it was all accepted for the $2,500.00 rebate.

I also got the smaller rebate from PG&E of $800.00.

And the 50% PG&E rate after 2300 hrs when I charge at my place in Auburn.

-Don- Reno, NV

Last night, I checked into it for Reno and "NV Energy" also has the 50% for charging after 2200 hrs. I just put in for that also. A NV registration for an EV is required to set it up, so I used my Zero motorcycle (registered here) for that, since my Tesla has a CA plate. I assume they will still accept that and then I can charge my Tesla as well as my Zero motorcycle here starting at 2200 hrs.

BTW, I use my Tesla wall connector for my Zero motorcycles (one each in Auburn also). I use a TeslaTap to convert the Tesla 240 VAC stations to a J1772 going to the Zero motorcycle with two quick-chargers. The bike and chargers will accept any voltage from 90 to 250 VAC.

A very handy feature for me is that the charging times set in the Telsa M3 work by GPS.

IOW, after being set up for the charge times at the different locations, I touch nothing and my charging will start at 2300 hrs in Auburn, CA but 2200 hrs here in Reno. The 50% discount starts at 2300 hrs in Auburn, but at 2200 hrs here in Reno.

Any other location not set (such as when on a road trip) will be instant charging automatically.

-Don- Reno, NV

Reactions: Tam and StealthP3D