Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about buying a Tesla - Advice needed

Buy a new P3D with FSD or 2016 P85D with FUSC/Warranty/AP1

• P3D

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • 2016 P85D

Votes: 8 53.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone! Looking forward to joining the Tesla community soon.

I'm currently considering two options:

A used 2016 Model S P85D with ~42k on the ODO with warranty, claimed transferable FUSC, and a range of 310. Autopilot 1 v.9.0 (believe this is upgradeable to FSD)
Asking price is ~62k.

New Model 3 Performance. Same range - no degradation compared to the 16. It's new. Full warranty. Similar price to the used S above. No FUSC.

Which would you choose and why?

Model S is roomier and has bigger screen - differences in interior design/dash/etc. But do you consider those differences to equate to roughly the cost of a new 3 with same range and performance?

Or am I missing some key differences that make the used S worth every bit the cost of a current new 3?

If you want tech upgrades go for the 3, otherwise the s is great.

More comfortable, less noisy. The 3 handles way, way better, but is louder on motorways. No leather means you sit on plastics, depends if you like that. Trailer hook - clearly go 3. More trunk model s.

I just went the s route because I want a less noisy ride, the handling is not so good on the s.

Unfortunately, but with warranty, my front motor just died after a total of 7 K miles on a 3 year old s. Guess that can happen, but still I thought it might not have on a new model 3.

In any case I am sure you will love your new ride, you can't go wrong either way.

Free charging is overrated as it turned out for me, only used on road trips anyways.

They probably quoted the Ideal range rather than the Rated range for the P85. IMHO you would have to drive on level ground at 50 mph or less to get Ideal range. My 2014 S85 was rated at 265 miles. My current 2016 S90D was rated at 288 miles. Three and a half years later it gets 277 miles.

We take 2 - 3 trips a year at over 600 miles round trip - sometimes more. Being able to reliably get around 270 with reserve is our main concern.

Isn't there a screen which shows avg range over lifetime? I can always request the data to see if their claim holds true.
Also ask them to charge to about 90% and see the quoted range.

Previously I would have recommended the used P85D. With the battery capping that is going on with 85 packs now (both max voltage and Supercharging speed), I would now recommend the Performance Model 3 unless you need the hatchback or extra rear seat room of the S.

Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

I got lucky buying my used P85D and got one that hasn’t been voltage-capped. I believe all Model S 85 packs have had Supercharging speeds slowed at least somewhat, some more than others.

A Model 3 will Supercharge faster than a Model S - even one that hasn’t had charging speeds slowed, due to newer battery cooling design and different cells in the pack.

Last edited:
We take 2 - 3 trips a year at over 600 miles round trip - sometimes more. Being able to reliably get around 270 with reserve is our main concern.

Isn't there a screen which shows avg range over lifetime? I can always request the data to see if their claim holds true.
In daily life with Texas speed limits and winter weather you will not have much more than 225 miles with reserve, if heavily loaded that will drop a bit further. With long cross country trips in both SP85D and P3D I have found that I tend to actually travel 200 miles or so in the P3D before charging and with the P85D tended around 175.

A real, but minor difference is that the Model 3 charging rate is faster than is the Model S.

Still long family trips make the S win, for me. I even make a few trips in a Model X. All that room! The FWD help on long trips .

In the end I think all Tesla are better than any ICE. I even find more frequent stops make a more pleasant trip.

Reactions: quickstrike12
I suggest you check Tesla site under inventory / used.

Will do - thanks!

Previously I would have recommended the used P85D. With the battery capping that is going on with 85 packs now (both max voltage and Supercharging speed), I would now recommend the Performance Model 3 unless you need the hatchback or extra rear seat room of the S.

Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

I got lucky buying my used P85D and got one that hasn’t been voltage-capped. I believe all Model S 85 packs have had Supercharging speeds slowed at least somewhat, some more than others.

A Model 3 will Supercharge faster than a Model S - even one that hasn’t had charging speeds slowed, due to newer battery cooling design and different cells in the pack.

Reading up on this now.

390F0C0E-ADA8-494A-A7C9-9F4224B36A6F.jpeg
I was considering these two options as well- here are some things to consider:
The P3D is just as quick as the P85D and has better range, more tech, is future proof and has options for use on the track. Model S is a drag strip and straight lion car, not a track car. I’d go with the model 3 in this case if the price were similar (but likely the P3D will be about $10k more).
A better comparison is the P3D and the P85DL or P90DL since that model S is going to be older, with more miles, less tech but much quicker. I think the model S looks way sexier than the model 3 (I have both). I went for a model S in the end and love it. It is fast, comfortable and hooks bad ass. Also, some of your information is wrong- P85D range will be about 235 miles eighthe expected degradation, you cannot upgrade AP1 to AP2, not MCU 1 to MCU 2. I got my model S for a steal(under $40k), so it was a no brained. At $62k I’m buying a Model 3 performance.

We had an S85 for 5 years, an S P90D for 2 years, and I have had a P3D for a year.

Echoing above comments, the 3 is cheaper, more efficient, better handling and so a better commuter. And with a new one, has a better warranty than a used S.

The S has twice the cargo space, is quicker, quieter, rides better, looks better, and I prefer the autopilot controls. It is a better road trip car, and with a used one will already have done the worst of the depreciation.

Are you sure it is a 2016 P85D? I had a 2015 P90D, and two days after I got it in Sept 2016 they announced the P100D. As others have noted, 310 miles doesn't sound right for a P85D. My P90D had 266 miles of range.

Good luck, they are both great cars. I wrote more about the differences between them HERE.

I bought both this year my wife drives the P3D and I bought a 2015 P85D. I like the S more but she likes the M3. The air ride in the S is much smoother but I do like the faster charging on the 3. The actual Mike's mine is rate at 100% now is 244. I expect around 175. It's hard to drive is sparingly! The hatch on the S holds a bunch of things it's like an SUV. It's a tough call.

Have you tried www.abetterrouteplanner.com to see if the trip works with either car and what the trip will look like? I would verify that stated range of 310 since that is about 50 miles more than what a P85D EPA range is listed at. If the seller is quoting 310 and it is actually in the 258 range, what else are they wrong about.

If you plan the route on that website and it isn't practical yet, don't let it stop you from buying one of these cars. People tend to buy cars for things they need to do occasionally so they spend more and wind up with a vehicle that doesn't meet their daily needs. I sold my pickup and now will rent one from Home Depot, Lowes, Uhaul, or someone else that one or two years a year I need one. I will still have in gas, insurance, licensing, etc... by dong this. Likewise, long road trips can be done on rental cars. Put those long miles on someone elses car. Let the car rental company buy the tires and other wear and tear a long trip causes. Then, if you decide you need a bigger car for that trip you can get one, for that trip.

There is an Energy screen that shows average and instant range. They should be able to send you a picture of this screen.

We own both a 75D (with free Supercharge) and a midrange 3. These cars are both right about 260 mile range. We take the S on trips because it is roomier, quieter, and a softer ride. Free Supercharge is not a factor in the decision since Supercharge is still about 25% of what we would have spent on gas. Both cars finish charging before we are ready to continue the trip. For us having twice the storage space is biggest factor for trips.

Have you tried www.abetterrouteplanner.com to see if the trip works with either car and what the trip will look like? I would verify that stated range of 310 since that is about 50 miles more than what a P85D EPA range is listed at. If the seller is quoting 310 and it is actually in the 258 range, what else are they wrong about.

There is an Energy screen that shows average and instant range. They should be able to send you a picture of this screen.

We own both a 75D (with free Supercharge) and a midrange 3. These cars are both right about 260 mile range. We take the S on trips because it is roomier, quieter, and a softer ride. Free Supercharge is not a factor in the decision since Supercharge is still about 25% of what we would have spent on gas. Both cars finish charging before we are ready to continue the trip. For us having twice the storage space is biggest factor for trips.

What kind of mileage are you getting before needing to recharge on trips with the S?

The route planner has me stopping off for a quick 10 min recharge about an hour into the trip despite the 2nd charger only being 198 miles from starting point.

Requested energy consumption data along with pics from seller.

I'm also looking through Tesla's used inventory and found a P90DL cheaper than the P85D I was looking at.