Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about buying from Vroom

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the market for a used a Model X... Been checking Tesla used inventory, their prices are all over the place. I see some 2017/2018 models selling close to a new price. Came across Vroom, and it seems like their prices are lower than Tesla. Anyone ever bought one from Vroom before? How was your experience?

Also It seems like a lot of their cars are still under the original factory warranty? Am I still able to get extended warranty through tesla?

What should I look out for if I decide to buy from Vroom?

Reactions: jacqueusi
My $.02 here...when I was looking for a used X this past spring, I was scouring the forums for potential issues that pop up with them. As you probably already know, there are many. Although I found a couple of Xs that were a bit cheaper than what the Tesla site was offering, I felt much better buying directly from Tesla and getting the 4 year/50K warranty to cover whatever may pop up in that period. I also got FSD, free supercharging, and free lifetime premium connectivity. If you can find a newer one that still has some warranty left, go for it. Not sure if you can buy the extended warranty if you didn’t purchase the vehicle directly from Tesla.

Reactions: elguapo and rjdoc74
My $.02 here...when I was looking for a used X this past spring, I was scouring the forums for potential issues that pop up with them. As you probably already know, there are many. Although I found a couple of Xs that were a bit cheaper than what the Tesla site was offering, I felt much better buying directly from Tesla and getting the 4 year/50K warranty to cover whatever may pop up in that period. I also got FSD, free supercharging, and free lifetime premium connectivity. If you can find a newer one that still has some warranty left, go for it. Not sure if you can buy the extended warranty if you didn’t purchase the vehicle directly from Tesla.

After doing more research, it looks like you can't buy an extended warranty. Only the original owner can. Yes most of the used X Vroom are selling are still under the factory warranty. Also there seems to be a third party company that provides warranty for Tesla that are being used by some members on here.

I'm more looking for feedback on their buying experience with Vroom. Also if they have ran into some issues regarding the vehicle condition not shown on pictures. How did Vroom deal with it? Or did they have any issues with the factory warranty when they brought the issues in to Tesla. Tesla does provide the 4yr/$50k, but I have also read many bad experience when buying used from Tesla.

I'm in the market for a used a Model X... Been checking Tesla used inventory, their prices are all over the place. I see some 2017/2018 models selling close to a new price. Came across Vroom, and it seems like their prices are lower than Tesla. Anyone ever bought one from Vroom before? How was your experience?

Also It seems like a lot of their cars are still under the original factory warranty? Am I still able to get extended warranty through tesla?

Just curious, did you buy from Tesla CPO? I thought they removed free supercharging on their used sales. I've been looking for private party or dealer sales looking for a used X that would have the free supercharging perk. If there's a way to get that through Tesla directly tht would be much more preferable.

Go for it. The only actual benefit of buying used from Tesla was the 4yr/50k warranty they added. But that’s gone now. You cannot buy extended warranty through Tesla, they killed it mid year. Pretty much any 2017+ X will still have some warranty remaining.

Vroom prices are really good but they sell nearly instantly.

How does Vroom transfer the ownership to the buyer, do they log on the tesla website and remove the car so the buyer can add the car like private party purchase?
I believe most Teslas sold by Vroom are auction cars from Tesla so whatever EAP/FSD pictures you see on there might be removed by Tesla with further software updates. I'm in the process of buying a used X from Vroom as well and am kind of turned off by the thought of having my FSD on my car disabled.

How does Vroom transfer the ownership to the buyer, do they log on the tesla website and remove the car so the buyer can add the car like private party purchase?
I believe most Teslas sold by Vroom are auction cars from Tesla so whatever EAP/FSD pictures you see on there might be removed by Tesla with further software updates. I'm in the process of buying a used X from Vroom as well and am kind of turned off by the thought of having my FSD on my car disabled.
You have to do the transfer yourself once you’ve purchsed. They are a very low touch middle man.

Just curious, did you buy from Tesla CPO? I thought they removed free supercharging on their used sales. I've been looking for private party or dealer sales looking for a used X that would have the free supercharging perk. If there's a way to get that through Tesla directly tht would be much more preferable.
I bought from Tesla CPO at the end of May. A couple of weeks later, they (Tesla) stopped offering free SC on their used inventory.

Go for it. The only actual benefit of buying used from Tesla was the 4yr/50k warranty they added. But that’s gone now. You cannot buy extended warranty through Tesla, they killed it mid year. Pretty much any 2017+ X will still have some warranty remaining.

Vroom prices are really good but they sell nearly instantly.

Decided to get a new Y for now. Cheaper and under full factory warranty with the latest tech. Holding out to see if they will do any refresh on the X and range increase in the next 2-3 years. Will probably decide to sell my Y then, and go for the newer X. Plus the Y filling our needs.

Reactions: 07e92
Vroom's offer was $2k higher for my 18 MDX that i got offered $29500 through Tesla/Carvana, but I have heard horror stories about Vroom taking their sweet time paying your lien holder, if financed, often resulting in you having a late payment. They also take up to 2 weeks for payment, while Shift is instant deposit, and Carvana bring you a check the same day they pick up the car.
For me as I ordered a used car through Tesla, I'll just take the $500 hit not having to deal with the hassles of either of the 3rd party buyer. Tesla trade in process is insanely simple, you just give them keys/registration, sign papers and done. They did not even check for the car condition.

Vroom's offer was $2k higher for my 18 MDX that i got offered $29500 through Tesla/Carvana, but I have heard horror stories about Vroom taking their sweet time paying your lien holder, if financed, often resulting in you having a late payment. They also take up to 2 weeks for payment, while Shift is instant deposit, and Carvana bring you a check the same day they pick up the car.
For me as I ordered a used car through Tesla, I'll just take the $500 hit not having to deal with the hassles of either of the 3rd party buyer. Tesla trade in process is insanely simple, you just give them keys/registration, sign papers and done. They did not even check for the car condition.

For a 2018 MX, the offer you got was $29500, seems pretty low. Was looking to see what I can get for my 16 MX that I bought last year, but that would be a pretty big loss

I bought my 2018 LEAF S from Vroom and it was an extremely easy and pleasant experience. I even got financing through Vroom when my credit wasn't nearly so good, and I got a better rate from the many banks that could respond to my credit application. One stop shop. The purchase process was easy. They came to me, we filled out paperwork in the car, and boom I was the new owner.

I enjoyed the LEAF, but the styling isn't exactly my cuppa and its range was just too low for real-world driving in SoCal, with 151 mi. max range. Not enough. Had a couple close calls. Trickle-charging only at home didn't help (could not do more, long story).

That said, I can recommend Vroom for buying a used car for sure. I can recommend Carvana for selling a car as well, though it pays to shop around.

Vroom gives almost no detail on the car, autopilot version, uncorking status, etc.... has anyone tried calling them for each one? It seems tedious.
I've read multiple places buyers and sellers are suspecting Vroom acquires their Tesla inventory primarily from Tesla. The details of course are vague and we are guessing but I can imagine there are a couple scenarios:
  1. The used Tesla was a trade-in on a new Tesla but Tesla doesn't want the car in their used inventory for some reason, so they send it to a dealer auction where Vroom picks it up.
  2. The used Tesla was a trade-in on a new Tesla and Tesla sells it immediately to Vroom, bypassing the dealer auction.
In both cases above, Tesla had at one point control of the car, resulting in the wiping of the unlimited super charging, FSD, EAP, and possibly even AP (not certain about this because Vroom tells me every Tesla they sell has AP - which could be part of the deal with acquiring Tesla's directly from Tesla). Because of this wiping, this is why Vroom intentionally won't list the details of unlimited super charging, FSD, EAP, or AP on their Tesla's.

Keep in mind much of the above is just guessing.

I'm currently in the process of receiving my 2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range AWD from Vroom. Just waiting for delivery date. I'm playing the AP lottery to see if I win. My only issue is they say AP comes on ever Tesla they sell - but they do not list it on the car.