Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about getting one of these

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As my original post noted, a 'proper' charge point is, of course, preferable to any sort of portable device which derives its energy supply from a 13A socket.

However, as you probably know, the *average* daily miles done by a car in the UK is well under 30 miles and this is well within the capabilities of any well designed pEVSE and good quality (and well maintained) 13A socket (/plug).

Furthermore, £300 may pay for the fitting (of a non-OLEV EVSE) but it certainly won't pay for the fixed EVSE itself which retail anywhere from the same money up to £600 or more. So if you do not need a 32A or even a 16A one and you are ineligible for an OLEV EVSE, why pay through the nose for fixed EVSE, particularly when you can take the portable one with you when you go to visit aunty Flo?

On top of that, for my money I would much rather taxpayer's money be sensibly spent on a proper national infrastructure of rapid chargers than on the insane amount of money the OLEV scheme pays installers to provide fixed EVSEs. A friend accidentally caught sight of the bill his OLEV installer had prepared for payment and it was getting on for £3k, and it was not an especially difficult install. Wanna-be EV drivers without the advantage of off street parking may especially agree with me on this point.