Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about going to the Outer Banks, how do I find a rental property with a charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to plan a trip to the outer banks in April, it will be my first time there. Will be my wife and two young kids(five and one). Looking for a house on the beach, but also one where I can charge my Model S. What's a good way to find rental properties that are EV friendly?

As pointed out above, Plugshare is your friend. I've found Plugshare to be the best source. But interestingly, I've not received any benefit for listing on Plugshare my beach rental house with Clipper Creek charger (located south of Myrtle Beach, SC) ..... not a single renter (with EV) in over 2 years.

Make sure you select the option to show Restricted chargers. These are typically chargers that are restricted to rental tenants and not open to the general public. I list ours as Restricted because I can't have a random person charging their vehicle and blocking the driveway when I have paying guests.

There's a couple public chargers down there in Kitty Hawk, Salvo, Waves and such. It'll be tough to find a rental with one but definitely look at Plug Share or ask your rental company for a house with a charger - they'll know which ones have it, if any.
Dzm

It would be great for hotels to list this on their pages too. I regularly travel to Brecksville, OH and would certainly give preference to a hotel that even offered a reachable 110-volt outlet. No luck finding one yet in the immediate area despite having many hotels. Not seeing anything obvious on Plugshare either.

The Outer Banks is not generally a forward looking place. Nothing terribly wrong with that - just not likely to find any good source.

We have a place in Topsail that we rent. My plug is locked in the storage closet. I suppose with the tripling of Tesla's since I installed it, it might be time to release it and advertise. There is the issue of rust and the closet helps on that front. If I do release it, i would have to come up with a solution. Maybe just a plug and not a charger and then install a plastic cover.

Early days, I went to Myrtle Beach (before there was a supercharger there). We used the 120V to manage. You don't generally drive that much once you get there so the slow charging is fine. Nearly every house should have a 120V available but sticking to modern construction is your friend. Although, older homes in my area often had laundry under the house in the parking area..... and they have electric dryers since there is no NG on the beach.

I would ask the realtors. They might know. Not likely.

If you rent a house in the town of Duck you can use the destination chargers at the Waterfront Shoppes. The Outer Banks Brewing station has destination chargers as well.

I have one house with a Tesla charger, but it's not available at the moment as I'm switching from VRBO to a rental company. Here's the listing for future reference Nature Lovers Wanted! Soundfront, Solar Po... - VRBO

OBX John - Very nice looking house. So if you don't have a house on the beach, is there a place to park if you need to drive there? Can you use the beach in front of someone else's house? Are there public restrooms at the beach, or will you need to drive back home if nature calls?

Most properties will also list if they have charging available, it's a feature that helps sell the place. Also call the property managers and see if at least a 120V plug is available. Also look for nearby J-1772 near places where you may want to spend some time (golf course?)
On a recent trip to Ft Lauderdale, we found a plug at the hotel, talked to the valet, and we stayed plugged in through the week. With a normal amount of driving around town, we actually ended up with more charge than we arrived.

• Helpful
Reactions: Alset4S
OBX John - Very nice looking house. So if you don't have a house on the beach, is there a place to park if you need to drive there? Can you use the beach in front of someone else's house? Are there public restrooms at the beach, or will you need to drive back home if nature calls?

Plenty of beach parking lots, most have porta johns and showers, some have bathhouses. All the beaches are public.

I have another house on the beach road about 100 yards from the access - I could make it Tesla capable since there's a stove outlet I'm not using and I have a 50amp extension cord. Might get around to it this spring. Modernized 1960's Semi-Oceanfront Cottage -... - VRBO

My third and fourth homes are in Duck within walking distance of the chargers at the Waterfront shops.

6 bedroom dune top TAR VALIER - Duck NC Vacation Rentals - Outer Banks Blue

5 bedroom oceanfront CAPTAIN TED (FORMERLY DUCK DOWN) - Southern Shores Realty

Not sure the direction you're coming from, but the Norfolk supercharger is 80 miles from Duck. If we assume 3 mph on a 120v wall plug, as long as you keep the car plugged in while at the rental house, I think you’d be fine. ~24 hours of charge is going to give you enough range. Ive done a lot of rounding in the math, but you get the point.

Other folks have suggested the dryer outlet, which is a good idea. Tesla has begun selling the 14-30 adapter again on their web site, for $50. (I bought one this week)