TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Thinking about having trailer built to haul roadster

Discussion in 'Roadster 2008-2012' started by im4uttx, Aug 12, 2019.

1. im4uttx

im4uttx Supporting Member

...around the country with a Model X. Completely enclosed, in/out door on the driver side to allow tight fit and smaller footprint trailer. 5,000 lb tow capacity on X would allow a reasonably built trailer to hold a roadster well under that, I think.

What say you?

We want to see some of the USA, and would love to have the roadster for "side trips" instead of just being limited to one car. After retiring, taking several relaxed 2-3 week trips, returning home, then off again after sufficient recovery time. Probably in spring/fall, and maybe winter the the southwestern/southeastern US, depending on weather, and perhaps getting out of the south for a summer run.

With SC just about everywhere, and with current S/X having free charging (thinking about a purchase, maybe), would make the trips less expensive and having the roadster would allow for some fun meet-ups across the country.

2. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

It's going to impact your mileage, limit your parking, limit your charging options, and be relatively expensive for that custom of a trailer. The door opening may be a significant issue, as it will probably be blocked by the trailer dual wheels.

It's probably the issue parking at chargers that would be my biggest issue. You very will may have to unhitch just to charge.

3. LeoNordic

LeoNordic Member

Can’t afford an X right now. Bought these instead (Sweden).

The trailer was roughly 6000$ +VAT. 10 year old and not used much. Tilt, electric winch, extra set of winter tires. Cost twice as much new. Loading area 2x5m (Roadster 1,8x4m). 2600kg gross and 1600kg net.

The Amarok. Trailercapacity 3000kg. 6 years old. Has only done 35000miles. Cost 12000$ +VAT. (cost for a new one is 3x this in Sweden)

The ”plan” is to get a rental license and rent them to other people when not needed myself. So the annual cost will hopefully not be so high.

I had a X100D for a year myself. And my experience and by reading among others that use them for this purpose (towing similar mediumsize trailer/caravan) you will probably loose around 40% in range. But since you have time, should be no problem

73B064A2-3FA0-48D0-8BE0-D27AB14BBD92.jpeg 4066A51E-816A-4A6F-8D20-29321294298F.jpeg

4. LeoNordic

LeoNordic Member

And by getting a trailer you will have your own ”recoverytruck” if the Roadster breaks down!