Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about it, Tesla Model 3 probably helped third party EVSE vendors the most

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would imagine that the mobile connector that comes with the car is the most popular, then the tesla wall connector, then either the clipper creek or the juicebox, both of which are similar pricing (or more) than the tesla wall connector, at least I think they are.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I would imagine that the mobile connector that comes with the car is the most popular, then the tesla wall connector, then either the clipper creek or the juicebox, both of which are similar pricing (or more) than the tesla wall connector, at least I think they are.
From one perspective, I guess any really large volume of electric cars is going to drive demand for all kinds of products related to that. However, on this issue of EVSEs, I concur with @jjrandorin that it's probably not, because if you've looked at the market of everyone else who makes EVSEs, they are damn expensive!! Tesla has managed to sell really great EVSEs at amazing prices that are better than anyone else. So if you can put up with a little patience for waiting a few days or a week for things to get back in stock sometimes, there isn't much need for buying from somewhere else unless you do need a J1772 handle because you are sharing with a non-Tesla.

You don't have to pay $1000 for a one, especially if you only need a 32A EVSE.
That is true, but let's compare some similar products.
The Tesla UMC is a good 32A device, which only costs $275.
The equivalent thing from Clipper Creek is $484.

The Tesla wall connector 48A capable device is $500.
The equivalent thing from Clipper Creek is $899.

So with like-for-like kinds of products, I don't see why people buying Tesla cars would overall be driving people to buy more expensive charging equipment from outside sources.

Last edited:

So with like-for-like kinds of products, I don't see why people buying Tesla cars would overall be driving people to buy more expensive charging equipment from outside sources.
On the other hand, NEMA 14-50 adapters had been scalped on eBay in the past:

JuiceBox is a bit more expensive but not all that expensive:

@Rocky_H

Covered this price difference already. There is no benefit other than "availability" to those products, for more money.