Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about it.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

Finally have a chance to respond. So, some things I am concerned about.
1. Has anyone negotiated (aka: appealing the assessment) a lower vehicle property tax rate in Loudoun to account for the immediate depreciation of the vehicle?
2. I read something about an additional tax from the county? Something in place of gas tax. Aware of it?
3. Has anyone received a finance rate of below %2.0?
4. Cost of a home charing station installation? I read it was approximately 1,000.00
5. Maintenance costs: Aside from what I have read what real life experience of owners would be helpful.
6. I'm a long term car driver. I currently drive a truck that has 286,000 miles on it (built in 2002) that I have owned since mile 3. Haven't had a car payment in a long long time. We don't have accurate numbers yet in the community but my plan is to have the car for a while (10 years). I know there are some 100,000 mile cars out there so that's a positive.
7. My commute is 9 miles. Is it worth it.
8. How's the winter driving experience with snowy roads. Anyone have any under carriage issues with the low car footprint. Do I need to keep my truck for the winter months?

Honestly, in the back of my mind I know I will not be saving any money here in the short term (probably years). I would like something new, sporty and quick. My main concern is the reliability. Will I be happy with the car for the next ten years? Is it worth the spend. The internal debate.

Thanks for the time on this...

Hello all,

1. Has anyone negotiated (aka: appealing the assessment) a lower vehicle property tax rate in Loudoun to account for the immediate depreciation of the vehicle?
2. I read something about an additional tax from the county? Something in place of gas tax. Aware of it?
4. Cost of a home charing station installation? I read it was approximately 1,000.00
5. Maintenance costs: Aside from what I have read what real life experience of owners would be helpful.
6. I'm a long term car driver. I currently drive a truck that has 286,000 miles on it (built in 2002) that I have owned since mile 3. Haven't had a car payment in a long long time. We don't have accurate numbers yet in the community but my plan is to have the car for a while (10 years). I know there are some 100,000 mile cars out there so that's a positive.
8. How's the winter driving experience with snowy roads. Anyone have any under carriage issues with the low car footprint. Do I need to keep my truck for the winter months?

Honestly, in the back of my mind I know I will not be saving any money here in the short term (probably years). I would like something new, sporty and quick. My main concern is the reliability. Will I be happy with the car for the next ten years? Is it worth the spend. The internal debate.

Yeah, all cars immediatly depreciate as soon as they are taken off the lot so good luck negotiating that.

Cost of power upgrades is highly variable...get multiple quotes.

Hello all,

I’m in Alaska so have no idea about the VA questions but
#3 - probably no way. We got 2.5% a year ago through Navy federal
#4 - depends on how close to your electrical panel. I paid $500 for the wall connector and then another $150 for materials, wired/installed it all myslef then had an electrician “tie it in”. Mine is directly next to my panel and it cost me ~$750.
#5 - had it for 1 year and I’m at no PM. I mounted my winter tires myself at the auto hobby and swap out my self. But really all there is: tire totation, brake fluid exchange, tires, brake pads,.. so not much.
#6 - we also drive cars for a long time. Before the 3 my wife drove a 2003 MB e for almost 16 years, we plan on keeping the Tesla similarly.
#7 - yes
#8 - if you get the performance you will have to get another set of tires since the performance comes with summer only tires that shouldn’t be used at <50F. The LR AWD comes with all seasons. I run studded tires in Alaska but I would guess they aren’t common your way. And it does great all winter in Alaska so should be fine should be fine down where you are in the tropics :)

So in short buy one. It’s the future and don’t look back.

I’m in Alaska so have no idea about the VA questions but
#3 - probably no way. We got 2.5% a year ago through Navy federal
#4 - depends on how close to your electrical panel. I paid $500 for the wall connector and then another $150 for materials, wired/installed it all myslef then had an electrician “tie it in”. Mine is directly next to my panel and it cost me ~$750.
#5 - had it for 1 year and I’m at no PM. I mounted my winter tires myself at the auto hobby and swap out my self. But really all there is: tire totation, brake fluid exchange, tires, brake pads,.. so not much.
#6 - we also drive cars for a long time. Before the 3 my wife drove a 2003 MB e for almost 16 years, we plan on keeping the Tesla similarly.
#7 - yes
#8 - if you get the performance you will have to get another set of tires since the performance comes with summer only tires that shouldn’t be used at <50F. The LR AWD comes with all seasons. I run studded tires in Alaska but I would guess they aren’t common your way. And it does great all winter in Alaska so should be fine should be fine down where you are in the tropics :)

So in short buy one. It’s the future and don’t look back.

Thanks for these comments @coleAK.

Indeed. My sister is in the market for a new car, so I suggested she test drive a Model 3 as part of her due diligence. Out of the blue a couple days later I get a text —

Arrgh ... I don't think it's possible to test drive a Tesla and then want to drive anything else
Exactly what my brother did with a model X. His wife hated the way the look (al la mini van). But after driving one they now have a X p100D

• Funny
Reactions: hoang51
Well I test drove the Model 3 today. I had 20 minutes of me time with it. It was a nice ride. I was concerned about the room in the back seat so I took the wife and kid back to the dealer a few hours later so they could sit. Seriously thinking about the LR model now. :)
I've driven my family of 4 (with wife and 2 teenagers) on 5 hours drives with no problem. I'm 6'2" so the driver's seat is pretty far back. No issues.