TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Thinking about joining legal action on recent massive price cut

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by canyondrive, Mar 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. canyondrive

canyondrive Member

With the recent major price reduction, I feel like I'm hit with the penalty for being a few months earlier adopter.

Not sure if I'd line up at the stores overnight or put reservation money.

I bet many of you, the loan balance is higher than how much you can buy the cars right now. Even with the tax credit refunds.

I can't even imagine how recent S or X owners feel right now.

You can easily disregard by saying 'that's how business works' but US is a country with lawsuits with a few MPG difference.

If there's no compensation gesture from Tesla, I'm willing to join a party with legal action. Do any of you know which firms are cooking up those ideas?

• Disagree x 378
    • Funny x 37
    • Like x 10
  2. Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison Active Member

I’d check seeking alpha in a day or two.

• Funny x 58
    • Like x 6
    • Love x 4
  3. Joshan

Joshan Member

a lawyer will be glad to take you cash and you will lose eve more. You agreed to a price and bought something and you think they owe you? /boggle...

4. kengchang

kengchang Active Member

Sue happy America, let's do it!!!!

• Funny x 14
    • Like x 3
    • Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  5. mattjs33

mattjs33 Member

Yeah, good luck with that.

Even if you win (you won't), after several years, what you'll get after the lawyer takes his cut and everyone splits it, won't be worth it.

• Like x 11
  6. Matt L

Matt L Active Member

If I ever walk away from this brand, it will be to get as far away as possible from this sort of entitlement mentality.

It’s honestly nauseating

• Like x 138
    • Love x 7
    • Disagree x 4
    • Informative x 1
  7. woodisgood

woodisgood It's walnut, beech

Hard to know how much is real. You're going to see an amplification of this kind of noise as various parties become more and more desperate.

To answer the OP's question, don't worry, there will be many firms and entities backing your legal pursuit.

• Like x 2
  8. Fusion

Fusion Member

Really? Why don't you go buy some stocks and when you lose money. Turn around and sue them for going down in prices causing you to lose money even though the stock showed a positive trajectory.

• Like x 16
    • Disagree x 3
    • Funny x 1
  9. Carefree

Carefree Member

This is the dumbest post I have seen in a very long time. What planet do you live on?????

10. tashtibet

tashtibet Member

trolls, trolls besting the drum again!

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 2
    • Love x 1
  11. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

You can be annoyed but it's hardly lawsuit worthy.

Telsa needs to just start using arbitrary model years. That will avoid anything of this sort in the future.

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  12. redgt

redgt Member

my car is less than $2500 cheaper now when you include the smaller tax credit.

get over it

• Like x 9
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  13. Grassright

Grassright Member

Think this, if Tesla increased the price, would you like to pay the extra? Enjoy the car

• Like x 31
    • Love x 5
    • Funny x 4
  14. happyzod

happyzod Member

It isn't the end of the world. The car is 2250 cheaper. (For some AWD buyers, it is 3250)

• Like x 5
    • Disagree x 1
  15. immolated

immolated Member

As more people bought the more expensive versions, Tesla was able to further develop their cheaper production line. It's cheaper for them to make cars for people who are pressing that buy button now. You absolutely do pay more for adopting earlier. That goes for any technology.

I had always wanted the model 3, but since my car broke down two years ago I was faced with either getting the Model S or nothing. As someone who happily spent $93k on my model S, you can shut up and leave.

• Like x 12
    • Love x 3
  16. Spalding

Spalding Member

Utter nonsense. There is never a guarantee that prices will remain the same on any product. And for purposes of a lawsuit, there is absolutely nothing in your purchase agreement promising the price will never change, or only go up. Absent that, American-style capitalism allows prices to go up or down at will. Prices often go up (inflation, etc.), but they can just as easily go down, either in response to changing market conditions (i.e., the reduction in the tax credit), improvement in manufacturing, changes in the product, increasing competition from other manufacturers, or any number of other factors.

• Like x 11
    • Informative x 2
    • Love x 1
  17. C141medic

C141medic Active Member

With the recent price reductions my similarly equipped car is now $1550 cheaper. I guess I paid the price of being an early adopter. Lesson learned, wait until at least after the first year of any new production vehicle to see how things shake up. But I’m okay with it because the price at the time I purchased was the price that I agreed to. Shortly after my purchase they raised the prices for various options and Tesla didn’t ask me to pay them the difference between what I paid and their higher priced options. So, I don’t think it’s fair to expect a “refund” or any compensation from them because this time around they lowered their prices.

• Like x 10
    • Love x 2
  18. focher

focher Member

I'm curious what the OP believes the legal basis for a claim against Tesla would be. You can't just assert a desire to sue, you need to have been 1) damaged , 2) the damages were caused by Tesla and 3) that Tesla breached an obligation to you. I see a plausible argument for #1 and #2, but don't see how you can establish that Tesla had an obligation to you in this situation. Typically, a seller of goods and services has no obligation to a prior customer for subsequent price changes unless you could demonstrate fraud that induced you to buy at the price you did. For example, if you had been told that there would be no price reductions for a period of time and then it happened, that would maybe work.

• Like x 6
  19. canyondrive

canyondrive Member

Well, thank you guys and gals for honest feedback. I should've put (unpopular opinion), (putting triple layered flame suits) into the post.

Wrong place to ask I suppose.

Should've went to Porsche forum.

• Funny x 15
    • Disagree x 3
    • Like x 2
  20. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

What a hilariously silly notion.

Cars drop in price. Cars based on emerging technologies drop in price much faster than gravity alone. The idea you’re owed a financial/legal remedy because you don’t understand this is laughable.

Which law do you suggest Tesla broke?

• Like x 12
    • Helpful x 1
    • Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.