Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about joining legal action on recent massive price cut

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you feel it was

“overpriced to begin with” then why the hell would you purchase it in the first place. Also you may not want to hear about “ computers, iPhones” etc, but those are accurate comparisons for a product that is tech based. Tesla is a tech company not a car company.
:)I only realized it was overpriced when they reduced the price of the same car/options $6200 two months later. They could have reduced the price on the P3D $2000 to $3000 and people would have flocked to purchase them. Gradual, incremental, smaller price cuts would have achieved the same results. Easy for those not affected by a huge price cut within days or several months of purchase to make negative comments.

• Funny
Reactions: mnevar
sounds like buyers remorse. As my son-in-law would say "suck it up buttercup" you bought at the prevailing price. if you bought a ford at say $60,000 and the next week they lowered the price to $54,000 would have the right to sue? the answer, not just no but h.ll no.

If you feel it was

“overpriced to begin with” then why the hell would you purchase it in the first place. Also you may not want to hear about “ computers, iPhones” etc, but those are accurate comparisons for a product that is tech based. Tesla is a tech company not a car company.
So any company that now uses technology (software or hardware) is now automatically a tech company and not whatever industry they sell in? Does that mean Charles Schwabb isn't a stock broker because they use AI? Is the White House a tech company because the President uses Twitter?

Tesla is a tech company not a car company.

It's both. It builds high-tech cars. But to be fair, all cars nowadays have a lot of high tech in them. Tesla just chose a design that emphasizes the tech aspects, and is currently the leader in autopilot in cars you can buy right now.

"Overpriced" and "underpriced" are subjective terms. It all depends on what something is worth to you. Buyer's remorse is what happens when you downgrade your opinion of what something is worth after you bought it. I have experienced buyer's remorse a few times in my life, but never (yet) with regard to my Model 3. And never with regard to the Roadster I owned before it.

The price cuts suck for sure. Everyone who bought a model 3 last year got hit hard even after accounting for the tax credit. Three rounds of price cuts plus free Autopilot plus free white paint.

In 2018, if you got sucked into the whole tax credit is expiring marketing and bought a mid range with EAP and white paint for 52k (44.5k after tax credit), you could have gotten a more affordable SR+ with regular AP and white paint for 38.5k (or 37k after tax credit).

In 2018, if you got sucked into the whole tax credit is expiring marketing and bought a mid range with EAP and white paint for 52k (44.5k after tax credit), you could have gotten a more affordable SR+ with regular AP and white paint for 38.5k (or 37k after tax credit).

But that is comparing apples and oranges...

The MR has more:
  • Better sound system
  • Satellite maps
  • Internet Streaming audio
  • Web browser
  • Homelink
  • Floor mats
  • Longer range
  • Faster 0-60 acceleration
  • More AP features (that you would have to pay $6k to get in the SR+)
  • Heated rear seats
Is all of that worth $7,500 more?

One way to look at it is Tesla is now offering the same incentive to everyone by lowering prices. I noticed the prices started dropping right around the time the tax incentive started going away.

The depreciation of Performance cars has always been high. A used Performance S and a standard S with the large battery on the used market are very close in price after a few years. Older Performance cars are also a glut on the used market soon after Tesla comes out with some kind of new performance benchmark on the P cars.

The new Performance cars are just settling to a more reasonable price compared to the non-Performance cars.

As for FSD, the problem turned out to be much more difficult to achieve than Elon thought. FSD without a driver monitoring may never be possible and/or never approved by regulators. Some kind of self driving will probably come to market, but I think there is a chance it won't be what all the experts think.

Self driving vehicles have to contend with a slew of edge cases. Many are rare, but with 1 billion vehicles, they still happen every few days statistically.

Humans have a distrust of machines that can kill them doing too much for them unless the machine is flawless every time. Very few people ever get stuck in elevators, and it's very rare that it happens due to a probably with the elevator itself, it's usually due to a power outage. It's still a trope in dramas to have people stuck in elevators. And that's tech so old that most of us have probably never seen a human elevator operator.

Aircraft autopilots have advanced to a point where pilots are mostly not needed now. They are even able to take off and land on autopilot, but humans are usually at the controls in those situations. Worldwide regulations still require two crew on the flight deck. In Asia the flight crew are not even allowed to control the plane manually above 3000 ft unless there is an emergency.

Self driving vehicles without a driver may never be approved in at least some places, or it may takes a very long time to be approved.

Can't think of one airplane that can take off on autopilot.
Autoland has to be programmed and monitored. And a few other things.
A long way to go before pilots are not needed.

Can't think of one airplane that can take off on autopilot.
Autoland has to be programmed and monitored. And a few other things.
A long way to go before pilots are not needed.

I read something before the 737 MAX debacle that Boeing had announced it had developed an autopilot capable of take off, but it wasn't approved by the FAA and was not installed in any commercial aircraft. I used to work in the lab at Boeing that did engineering test on all the electronics. They had lots of back burner projects going all the time. Some never saw production and others took years to make it into a production aircraft. ARINC 629 finally made it onto the 777, but they were working on it in the early or mod-80s.

As for Tesla changing tech or prices after you buy, just about everyone saw Tesla make some change within a few months of biting the bullet and buying. Those who bought in early 2016 had the refresh happen just after they bought, and those who bought the early refreshes like I did saw Tesla update the AP hardware to 2.0 only a few months after buying.

The tech isn't changing as much now, but instead the price is very volatile. I paid over $100K for my Model S, but the closest equivalent version today (with more advanced AP and 70 miles more range) is over $20K less than I paid. I expect there will be more price cuts in the coming months. If they want to sell as many Model Ss as they used to, they're going to have to get the starting price down to around $60K or less. The Model S is a nicer car than the Model 3 and more convenient with the hatch, longer range, and two screens, but most people don't consider it worth a $40K premium over the Model 3.

Reactions: Galve2000
People need to get used to the fact that cars, like computers, are now advancing so quickly that the one you buy in a month will be better than the one you buy today. Either it will have more or better features, or they'll have improved manufacturing so that they can sell it cheaper, or both. I was very disappointed when the Model S got quicker off the line than my Roadster. When I got my Roadster it was the quickest thing anybody would use as a daily driver. Then suddenly the S was quicker, and by the time I switched to my Model 3, the top trim line of the S was something line 1.7 seconds faster to 60. But my Roadster was still the same car it had been.

It's extremely disappointing when the price drops or the features get better after you buy. But that is the reality today, and it will keep happening. The best you can hope for is a few months before your car is superseded by something better or cheaper. And sometimes it may happen a week after you buy.

It would be very nice of Tesla if they'd bring in a policy of refunding the difference if the price drops within a month after you buy, but there'll always be someone who bought a month and a day before. And in a free market economy they can change the price whenever they like.

• Love
Reactions: Joshan
The price cuts suck for sure. Everyone who bought a model 3 last year got hit hard even after accounting for the tax credit. Three rounds of price cuts plus free Autopilot plus free white paint.

Waaaaaa

Reactions: dmurphy
It's both. It builds high-tech cars. But to be fair, all cars nowadays have a lot of high tech in them. Tesla just chose a design that emphasizes the tech aspects, and is currently the leader in autopilot in cars you can buy right now.

"Overpriced" and "underpriced" are subjective terms. It all depends on what something is worth to you. Buyer's remorse is what happens when you downgrade your opinion of what something is worth after you bought it. I have experienced buyer's remorse a few times in my life, but never (yet) with regard to my Model 3. And never with regard to the Roadster I owned before it.
Buyers remorse also occurs when you over stretch your finances to purchase something that is beyond means. Especially when it is suddenly and unexpectedly available for a cheaper price. I think this occurring a lot here

Buyers remorse also occurs when you over stretch your finances to purchase something that is beyond means. Especially when it is suddenly and unexpectedly available for a cheaper price. I think this occurring a lot here
Buyers remorse can occur any time there is price instability in a market. It doesn't matter how stretched a person is. If I buy a tank of gas for $80 and the price drops to $40 people don't think gas has somehow changed or improved. But even with products that go through rapid advancement. If you buy an iPhone the week before the new version comes out you are going to feel like a sucker that was taken. "why didn't the sales person tell me a new version was coming out?" they might wonder... It's normal. As long as Tesla continues to have price instability there will be people who feel cheated and made for suckers. That's consumer behavior 101.

Status
Not open for further replies.