Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about joining legal action on recent massive price cut

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Buyers remorse can occur any time there is price instability in a market. It doesn't matter how stretched a person is. If I buy a tank of gas for $80 and the price drops to $40 people don't think gas has somehow changed or improved. But even with products that go through rapid advancement. If you buy an iPhone the week before the new version comes out you are going to feel like a sucker that was taken. "why didn't the sales person tell me a new version was coming out?" they might wonder... It's normal. As long as Tesla continues to have price instability there will be people who feel cheated and made for suckers. That's consumer behavior 101.
While I think what you said is partly true, buyers remorse can just as easily be driven by internal dissatisfaction that has nothing to do with price changes or product changes. People buy things all the time that they feel that they need and shortly afterwards they realize they did t need or it’s purchase wasn’t as satisfying as they initially thought it would be. There is a lot more to consumer behavior, as you put it, and buyers remorse, than fluctuation in purchase price. That’s why my post used the word “also”, as in another reason for occurring, and not mutually exclusive as your post seems to suggest I am saying. In other words I agree with you, but there is more to buyers remorse than just Tesla changing the price.

Last edited:
Reactions: caskater47
There is nothing wrong with what they did. Bought mine the very last day of 2nd quarter and no regrets at all. I wish we would understand the crazy circumstances Tesla is fighting for to survive. A whole car industry has been agains them from the get go and not only have they triumphed, their cars are fastttttttttt, intelligent and good looking. Cmon. Give Tesla a break.

People need to get used to the fact that cars, like computers, are now advancing so quickly that the one you buy in a month will be better than the one you buy today. Either it will have more or better features, or they'll have improved manufacturing so that they can sell it cheaper, or both. I was very disappointed when the Model S got quicker off the line than my Roadster. When I got my Roadster it was the quickest thing anybody would use as a daily driver. Then suddenly the S was quicker, and by the time I switched to my Model 3, the top trim line of the S was something line 1.7 seconds faster to 60. But my Roadster was still the same car it had been.

It's extremely disappointing when the price drops or the features get better after you buy. But that is the reality today, and it will keep happening. The best you can hope for is a few months before your car is superseded by something better or cheaper. And sometimes it may happen a week after you buy.

It would be very nice of Tesla if they'd bring in a policy of refunding the difference if the price drops within a month after you buy, but there'll always be someone who bought a month and a day before. And in a free market economy they can change the price whenever they like.

Teslas are changing fast like computers. I don't think the pace of innovation in the rest of the industry has changed much.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Buyers remorse also occurs when you over stretch your finances to purchase something that is beyond means. Especially when it is suddenly and unexpectedly available for a cheaper price. I think this occurring a lot here

True. We live in an "I WANT IT NOW!" culture where people are encouraged to spend money they don't have for things they don't need. I have said from the start that it's a bad idea to borrow money for anything that is not essential. Borrowing for something productive can be a smart choice. And depending on the relative prices of renting vs. buying, buying a home can be a smart choice. But if you need transportation and cannot afford to pay for a car and you must borrow, you should borrow the minimum needed for the most economical car. Something like a used Civic or Corolla.

Tesla builds the best and coolest cars on the road today, and it's understandable that people who cannot afford them borrow money to pay for them. But living beyond your means is a recipe for unhappiness. When you spend more than you can afford for something and then the price goes down, you will be unhappy. But in a market economy, a seller can demand whatever they like. And when the item is a luxury car, the fault lies with the person who chose to buy something they could not afford.

(It's different when the item is essential, such as medicine or basic no-frills housing. People need those things. Nobody needs a luxury car.)

True. We live in an "I WANT IT NOW!" culture where people are encouraged to spend money they don't have for things they don't need. I have said from the start that it's a bad idea to borrow money for anything that is not essential. Borrowing for something productive can be a smart choice. And depending on the relative prices of renting vs. buying, buying a home can be a smart choice. But if you need transportation and cannot afford to pay for a car and you must borrow, you should borrow the minimum needed for the most economical car. Something like a used Civic or Corolla.

Tesla builds the best and coolest cars on the road today, and it's understandable that people who cannot afford them borrow money to pay for them. But living beyond your means is a recipe for unhappiness. When you spend more than you can afford for something and then the price goes down, you will be unhappy. But in a market economy, a seller can demand whatever they like. And when the item is a luxury car, the fault lies with the person who chose to buy something they could not afford.

(It's different when the item is essential, such as medicine or basic no-frills housing. People need those things. Nobody needs a luxury car.)
Spoken like a true person of means whom has never struggled to make ends meet.

The vast majority of people can't afford to buy a car outright because they don't have that much in savings. If you're the kind of person that lives in your car because you have a 1-1.5hr commute a luxury electric car is a smart purchase for many reasons.

However even for those who have the means to buy the car in cash it is actually smarter to take out a loan and borrow. Why? Because with interest rates at well under 4% I can save the money and put it into a high yield market account that will allow me to earn more money with it. In fact, I can borrow the money and invest the cash I would have spent and be able to buy another car essentially free.

Spoken like a true person of means whom has never struggled to make ends meet.

For about the first 2/3 of my adult life I had just enough to live on. I did not go to movies or restaurants. I counted my cash before going into the grocery store so that I would not put more in my cart than I could pay for. I thought seriously before deciding to buy a can of peaches. I saved up for several weeks before buying my first kitchen blender. Once I lived for 4 days on white rice.

And I never borrowed money, because I knew that living within my means was preferable to worrying about whether I could pay off a debt.

Do not assume that just because someone has the means to buy a Tesla at the age of 70 that they "never struggled to make ends meet."

And that should be "who," not "whom."

For about the first 2/3 of my adult life I had just enough to live on. I did not go to movies or restaurants. I counted my cash before going into the grocery store so that I would not put more in my cart than I could pay for. I thought seriously before deciding to buy a can of peaches. I saved up for several weeks before buying my first kitchen blender. Once I lived for 4 days on white rice.

And I never borrowed money, because I knew that living within my means was preferable to worrying about whether I could pay off a debt.

Do not assume that just because someone has the means to buy a Tesla at the age of 70 that they "never struggled to make ends meet."

And that should be "who," not "whom."

The only thing I ever borrowed for was a house, but there I was trading off rent for a mortgage. I still have a mortgage, but I couldn't rent a shoebox for the size of the payment now (I throw extra at the mortgage every month). I've had some tight periods in my life too and counted every penny. I got through those periods without any debt and when things improved I was able to get back on my feet very quickly.

Back 30 years ago a ten year old car was usually worn out and if you needed a car now and needed something reliable an old car was just not a viable choice. But that's changed. I got 24 years out of my old Buick and it was in fine running condition when I sold it (last time I had the transmission serviced the guy who did it said the transmission looked new inside). I was looking for a new car because it looked like I was going to need to make more trips to California, I prefer driving to flying, and I have trust issues driving a 24 year old car that kind of distance.

Money is tight again thanks to the trade war (I work with a company that had 50% of its business with China and few people are buying now because of the trade war). If I suddenly needed another car now, I would look for a good condition older car around $10K (cash) and suck it up until things improved. I know it wouldn't be what I wanted, but it would get the job done adequately.

Even if I had a long commute, there aren't that many car luxuries that are really all that required. I have long legs and I broke my tailbone when I was 8, so being able to get the seat in a comfortable position is a requirement. The rest is all optional really. I'd rather live with a shabby looking car I can afford than worry about the next car payment.

There was a book years ago called Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I'm sure at least a few reading this are familiar with it. In there the author talks about form vs function people. He talked about a friend he rode motorcycles with who had loose handlebars and the author made a shim out of a beer can, but his friend was insulted at the thought of fixing his bike with a beer can.

The author was a function person. He saw the beer can had the properties needed to do the job and went for it. His friend was a form person for whom the form of things was vitally important. I thought of that passage when I fixed a crack in the outer bumper of my Buick with a flattened soda can epoxied to the backside of the crack.

I'm a function person. Yes luxury in a car is nice to have, but I'm more interested in the function. Does it get me where I need to go and I'm I OK (no aches and pains) when I get there? Everything else on top of that is optional. Form people have different priorities and might be willing to pay money they don't have for better form. It's alien to me, but to each their own.

I, too, am a function person. I got the Model 3 for the high safety rating, for being more practical than the little Roadster, and for EAP, which makes me a safer and more relaxed driver. But if I hadn't been able to afford the Teslas, I'd have stuck with something reliable and economical. I also hate gasoline and wanted a green car, but I would not have gotten it if I'd been unable to afford it without a loan.

Such as ?
Significantly lower cost of fuel
Significantly lower cost of maintenance
Reduced stress from using Autopilot in traffic
More comfortable seating
Improved sound system and entertainment options
General enjoyment of being in a nice car for long periods of time

In Los Angeles it's a general rule of thumb to buy a luxury car so that you're life doesn't entirely suck when you're sitting in bumper to bumper traffic. Having done long commutes over the years in everything from a Mazda 3 to an Audi S4 and now my P3D I can definitely attest to this idea. Traffic is far more easily managed when your sitting in a car you enjoy.

In there the author talks about form vs function people.

A lot of us that came from German cars are used to a brilliant balance that German cars strike between those two extremes.

If you wanted pure functionality with little attention paid to other details you bought a Toyota.
If you wanted pure form at the expense of anything else you bought an Alfa Romeo

If you wanted perfection between those two you bought a Porsche.

You typically would go up the ladder of German cars as your budget grew.

I went from VW to Audi, and then went to Subaru when the economy tanked. When things got better I went back to Audi, and then to Porsche.

Then the Tesla Model S came out which completely up ended the entire automotive hierarchy. That was a lot of fun and I'll be forever grateful for the experience. But, then Tesla up ended itself with the Model 3.

Last edited:
A lot of us that came from German cars are used to a brilliant balance that German cars strike between those two extremes.

If you wanted pure functionality with little attention paid to other details you bought a Toyota.
If you wanted pure form at the expense of anything else you bought an Alfa Romeo

If you wanted perfection between those two you bought a Porsche.

You typically would go up the ladder of German cars as your budget grew.

I went from VW to Audi, and then went to Subaru when the economy tanked. When things got better I went back to Audi, and then to Porsche.

Then the Tesla Model S came out which completely up ended the entire automotive hierarchy. That was a lot of fun and I'll be forever grateful for the experience. But, then Tesla up ended itself with the Model 3.

Having been on this forum for a few years I've noticed there are different groups of people and we sometimes end up talking past one another. There are those who are used to $100K cars and expect the kind of attention to detail you see in European luxury cars. There are some people who come from the sports car world and are drawn to the Performance cars. And then there are those of us who never owned an expensive car before.

I'm in the last group. My Buick was nice, but other than cushier seats it was no nicer than the Model S and the tech was much older. It cost me $21K new and I sold it for less than $1500. I put up with 2 decades of grampa car jokes. Before the Buick I had a Chevy Impala that had been a company car owned by the Union Pacific Railroad.

I like the Model S much more than the Model 3, but if sales of the Model S and X continue to be poor, I think it would be best for them to discontinue them for a while. IMO, the future for Tesla is to become the next Toyota not the next Mercedes.

Reactions: bijan
True. We live in an "I WANT IT NOW!" culture where people are encouraged to spend money they don't have for things they don't need. I have said from the start that it's a bad idea to borrow money for anything that is not essential. Borrowing for something productive can be a smart choice. And depending on the relative prices of renting vs. buying, buying a home can be a smart choice.

I could choose to pay a couple thousand dollars in capital gains tax to sell stocks and pay the car in full, or I could borrow money at 1.5% interest and pay it off using cash flow. 1.5% interest is less than current inflation. I chose the second option.

Status
Not open for further replies.