Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about joining legal action on recent massive price cut

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Having been on this forum for a few years I've noticed there are different groups of people and we sometimes end up talking past one another. There are those who are used to $100K cars and expect the kind of attention to detail you see in European luxury cars. There are some people who come from the sports car world and are drawn to the Performance cars. And then there are those of us who never owned an expensive car before.

I'm in the last group. My Buick was nice, but other than cushier seats it was no nicer than the Model S and the tech was much older. It cost me $21K new and I sold it for less than $1500. I put up with 2 decades of grampa car jokes. Before the Buick I had a Chevy Impala that had been a company car owned by the Union Pacific Railroad.

Luxury car people and sports car people.

And then there are the electric car people. I owned a Jeep and then a Civic and then a Prius. The Prius introduced me to the idea of a car driving on pure electric, even though it only did it for a few blocks at a time. I came to Tesla, not looking for a luxury car or a sports car. I drove electric for four years before I came to Tesla, and only got my first Tesla after trying to get a Nissan Leaf and getting f**ked over by Nissan for six months. I wanted the Civic of BEVs (Leaf) and couldn't get it, and Tesla was the only alternative.

The Model 3 is the most luxurious car I've ever owned, but all I wanted was to drive electric, and the Zap Xebra that I drove for 4 years before that was underpowered and only went 40 miles to dead empty.

I could choose to pay a couple thousand dollars in capital gains tax to sell stocks and pay the car in full, or I could borrow money at 1.5% interest and pay it off using cash flow. 1.5% interest is less than current inflation. I chose the second option.

If you can get a car loan for 1.5% interest, heck yeah, go for it! Normal people pay around 5% for car loans, depending on the term of the loan. Or around 4% for home loans. Heck, if you can get any kind of loan for 1.5% jump on it. I'd borrow 100 million at 1.5% if I could, and I'd put it in a safe Vanguard bond fund paying 3.5%.

Normal people pay higher interest on any kind of loan than we can get on any but the riskiest investment.

If you can get a car loan for 1.5% interest, heck yeah, go for it! Normal people pay around 5% for car loans, depending on the term of the loan. Or around 4% for home loans. Heck, if you can get any kind of loan for 1.5% jump on it. I'd borrow 100 million at 1.5% if I could, and I'd put it in a safe Vanguard bond fund paying 3.5%.

Normal people pay higher interest on any kind of loan than we can get on any but the riskiest investment.

1.99% on my Tesla loan; 3% on my home mortgage. That's why I had no qualms financing the Model 3 - it's basically playing with house money at that kind of rate.

With the recent major price reduction, I feel like I'm hit with the penalty for being a few months earlier adopter.

Not sure if I'd line up at the stores overnight or put reservation money.

I bet many of you, the loan balance is higher than how much you can buy the cars right now. Even with the tax credit refunds.

I can't even imagine how recent S or X owners feel right now.

You can easily disregard by saying 'that's how business works' but US is a country with lawsuits with a few MPG difference.

If there's no compensation gesture from Tesla, I'm willing to join a party with legal action. Do any of you know which firms are cooking up those ideas?

If they increased the price a ton and added more equity for you, could they then get more money out of you?

Sounds like Colts season ticket holders who want a refund because Andrew Luck retired..

• Funny
Reactions: richyrich
With the recent major price reduction, I feel like I'm hit with the penalty for being a few months earlier adopter.

I bet many of you, the loan balance is higher than how much you can buy the cars right now. Even with the tax credit refunds.

You can easily disregard by saying 'that's how business works' but US is a country with lawsuits with a few MPG difference.

If there's no compensation gesture from Tesla, I'm willing to join a party with legal action. Do any of you know which firms are cooking up those ideas?
I'm not going to bother reading this entire joke of a thread, but please let me know if they start a class action law suit against the oil companies... I paid $3.75 a gallon a few weeks ago, and now it's around $2.35!

People like you are why we can't have nice things. I'll just see myself out now before I say something that ends up getting me banned from the forums... yeah, people like you get me *that* angry.

• Love
Reactions: heems and traxila
I'm suing IBM. Class action. You wouldn't believe what I paid for my 70s IBM card punch computer. It don't do *sugar*..........
Can't edit........It don't do *sugar*........or is that not allowed?
Ok, fine, sugar comes out your ass.........

The site doesn't like you to say "sh!t" unless you disguise it like I just did. But you can say poop. I suspect it won't allow the F word either. It is a curious fact that because of its origins, the English language often has two words for each bodily function, one from Anglo-Saxon and another from Latin. The Latin-derived words for bodily functions including sex are generally tolerated, while the words derived from Anglo-Saxon are commonly considered "dirty," "Not suitable for polite company," etc. This fact is a perversion far worse than the use of the words in question.

I don't know why Anglo-Saxon words are considered improper, and often banned (as on TMC) when the Latin equivalents are not.

Thus you can say excrement or manure but not sh!t, and you can say coitus but not f*¢k. Fortunately, there are often special symbols that allow you to approximate the "dirty" words.

I generally avoid using words I think people will find offensive. The two exceptions are in times of extreme stress, since, as Mark Twain said, at such times obscenity provides a measure of relief denied even to prayer; and in situations where those words are explicitly prohibited, since prohibiting words about normal bodily functions is idiotic, and prohibiting Anglo-Saxon words where Latin words for the exact same functions are allowed is a form of bigotry. (Racial slurs are another matter entirely. I find it offensive to use words intended to insult any group of people.)

It might be argued that the commonly-prohibited Anglo-Saxon words carry meanings the Latin words do not. Nobody shouts "Coitus!" or "Excrement!" when they stub their toe, though I had a friend who said "Merd!" when he was upset. But prohibiting these words for this reason is even worse, because people need to express their emotions, and there are emotions that are difficult to express otherwise. As a matter of style, I'd advise against using strong language to express mild sentiments, because it dilutes their effect. But this is merely a stylistic recommendation, not advocacy of prohibition. One should be free to make one's own linguistic decisions and if throwing an f-bomb several times into every sentence is your style, that's your choice. Perhaps a person is just so perpetually angry that this is necessary. There are people who have been so beaten down by the vagaries of life and the injustices of society that my only criticism of so many f-bombs would be that it lacks imagination, since there are other strong words that could be employed as well. Shakespeare has examples of strong language and insults that avoid that word entirely and yet are full of both force and poetry. But if you haven't had the benefit of reading Shakespeare, and your life situation calls for strong language, and the f word is the only one you know, then by all means, bomb away.

Prohibiting such words on the grounds that children might be listening/reading/watching is just silly because in this internet age, every child has heard these words, including from the mouthes of their peers.

Sorry for the long digression. Now back to the idiocy of suing Tesla for adjusting its prices in response to market forces.

You ask a fair question. We aren't talking about a price drop of a few thousand dollars. In some cases were talking 20k in equity. Just happened to me. What I hate about these forums is the snarky attitudes. Nobody can ask a question anymore without someone trying to sound superior. No wonder Tesla owners get bad names. What ever happened to treating others the way YOU want to be treated? If you don't have an empathetic answer shut up and go back to your miserable life!

Reactions: 1 person
You ask a fair question. We aren't talking about a price drop of a few thousand dollars. In some cases were talking 20k in equity. Just happened to me.

Kind of confused here. $20k? Did you sell your car at significant loss? You expect the value of the car to remain the same after you have driven and used it? This car is not a limited edition / limited production vehicle. I would not expect it retain value over time.

I don't understand OP. What other car hold its value after being on the market for a year?

Status
Not open for further replies.