Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about making the jump to a Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having an economics talk with the wife right now about moving to a Model Y, away from my modified 2017 BMW X5M. Between gas and car payments, I can save about $400/month going to a Tesla (I am at least 1.5 years down the road on my Cybertruck order AFTER they start production based on the tracker!). Love my X5M, but 12-13mpg average isn't quite good enough and there are so many cops now that driving it hard is very difficult. Plus the used market is nuts, I can literally make back all the money I spent on it to date right now.

Couple questions since the search function isn't quite finding everything for me...

1) I live in North Carolina. Looking for a 2022, I obviously can't find anything within 200 miles of me. However, lots of new ones available in the Bay Area. Anyone bought directly from Tesla and had it moved across the country via the delivery options?

2) I hear about the suspension being somewhat sub-par for the price. It's already harsh on my X5M (to be expected) and I'm used to very stiff suspensions. I know Tesla isn't going to fix this anytime soon (ie air suspension), but anyone know if it is better in the latest ones rolling off the line?

3) Lease or buy (I drive about 14k miles a year)?

4) Anyone go with a clear bra for light driving off-road? Specifically to trail heads, hiking spots, etc? It's sandy here in central North Carolina, so rocker panels can get eaten up...

5) Anti-dazzle high beams, can't get a definitive answer here based on research. My Adaptive LEDs on my X5M are amazing, moving in curves, recognizing cars ahead and moving, then dimming and turning off certain parts of the high beams as the front cameras recognize cars moving towards/from me. I can't tell if Tesla does it similarly in a "localized" fashion on the LED arrays...

Thanks all and maybe I'll be an owner in the next few months.