Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about making the switch. All help is appreciated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla community, I currently own a 2020 M340i (tuned 480 whp, 490wtq). I’ve been looking into possibly getting a model 3 performance. Have any of you owned a performance car prior ? If so how was it making the switch?. Is battery range accurate ? Any real issues while owning one?

I've previously owned MB AMG's, Porsche's, and even a Ferrari. None pulled like my M3 and I don't have the P (just the LR). The AMG was really great off the line but the M3 is faster. The Porsche took a while for the turbo to spool up but honestly it rode better than the M3. The Ferrari handled best of all (like it was on rails) but M3 is fine.

I didn't care about mileage range when owning an ICE...I don't really care about EV range. Around town, always enough range to get back home and charge. On road trips (I've done a few cross country), the nav system plotted a great course and I never was close to running out. There's plenty of chargers along the way. Granted, when I do road trips I'm on interstates so YMMV.

I have a late 2019 M3P -- have had Ferrari and Porsche in the past. No recent Benz, though. The Performance is fun and here's an older Porsche forum when they first came out -- judge for yourself.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Welcome to TMC.

There are two (long) existing threads on the questions you are asking. Here is one:

Here is the other

Since both of these threads address exactly what you are asking, I would suggest starting there.

"is battery range Accurate"?

No. Its EPA range, just like you dont get EPA range in your BMW. For more on that, search for "range" in this subforum as it is the most discussed topic on this entire website (so I will move any discussion specifically on that topic to one of the existing threads on that topic).

Any other issues?

Not really, but you will read a lot of people complaining about things like panel gaps, and thin paint.

For more than that, if you search TMC you will find a lot (lot lot) of feedback on those questions.

Thank you for those links! :) Do Tesla’s slow down with lower battery percentage ?

I believe you might find a lot of information if you search for "0-60" in the model 3 driving dynamics subform:

The TL ; DR is yes, 0-60 will be slower at lower states of charge.

Nice. I’ll try to schedule a test drive this upcoming week. Are sport models available to test drive or only base ?
The Model 3 Performance should be available and just as easy to book as the lower trims.

Be warned Tesla does this silly thing where they sell almost all their demo cars at once leading up to each end-of-quarter. There's a couple week period around each EoQ where they have almost nothing available to test drive, until they restock their demo fleets with cars built early the next quarter.

Tesla should be doing their 2022-Q1 demo fleet restocking right about now, so if there's nothing available just yet, wait a few more days or maybe a week at most and there hopefully will be.

( Just to be clear, keeping the demo fleet fresh isn't silly at all. What's silly is selling almost every demo car at once, instead of a smooth pace of refreshes without weeks-long gaps with nothing to test. It's not like Tesla cares about quarterly boundaries when they cut in new features at the factory, so the EoQ demo fleet refresh generally doesn't align with new features anyways. )

I had a 2015 BMW M5, 2016 Porsche Cayenne, and 2016 AMG C63S before my 2017 Model S. Also have a 2022 Model Y Perf, and about to trade in the MS for a 2022 M3 LR.

I vaguely miss the AMG exhaust note, and the fine Porsche interiors. Those two things aren't replaced in the Tesla.

The Tesla's *useable* power, instant torque and smile-inducing performance off the line, in every day driving, is light years ahead of German performance cars. It's just way more fun to drive. The Tech and software is galaxies away; there isn't even any comparison. Imagine your car continued to get new features and improve after you bought it, even years later, just like an iPhone. That's the Tesla.

The downside is that this car will permanently ruin high-end German autos for you. It's extremely hard to go back.

Good luck!

The downside is that this car will permanently ruin high-end German autos for you. It's extremely hard to go back.
This is true for me as well, actually. I was very "BMW loyal" actually, for about 15 years , which was (5) 3 year lease cycles, for both my wife and my own car as something from BMW. That is, until I decided to get a model 3 performance in 2018, vs the M3 I was going to get.

One thing is, I (like a lot of BMW or ex BMW drivers) refuse to call a model 3 a "M3", as that is like calling some other car a "911" or something. I used to love driving my wifes X3 M40, which we factory ordered, and has every option except a tow hitch cause we dont have any outdoor toys to tow.

After I started driving my model 3 performance, I grew to first be slightly annoyed by, then actively dislike, driving my wifes car. Her car is much better put together than my model 3, but all that melts away when I am driving my car.

I used to miss the exhaust notes (my wifes car actually sounds really good, even though its a SUV, its got the really good BMW inline 6, with a factory tune on it), but now it just annoys me.

Anyway, we just bought my wifes X3 off lease (in december) and due to the used car values right now, her X3 is worth like 12-15k more than we owe on it from the buying out the residual on it. Wife keeps talking about how my car keeps getting updates, etc, and hinting she wants a tesla for herself, so we just (yesterday in fact) ordered a model Y and are going to sell her X3.

@rrfitness I can't imagine wanting to go back to ICE for a daily driver. I was into turbo AWD Japanese cars, never owned a BMW or any nice German car myself but certainly driven many such friends' cars over the years. And if BMW had made an E91 335xi wagon in the late 2000s I probably would've bought one.

Gas stations, smelly cold start exhausts, waiting painfully for my engine to warm up, the constant exhaust noise especially when next to the car, smog tests, checking my oil level and other extraneous maintenance...I don't miss any of it for a daily driver. Not in the slightest. I do miss a few aspects of how my last ICE car drove but the M3P is really fun too (Track Mode required!), and I'm comfortable with modifying it where I feel it could most use improvement.

For a weekend toy, if I ever have time+space+money for one, yeah I'd like a fun gas car with a nice shifting manual transmission, and I wouldn't care if it's slower than my latest EV. Not because I think ICE is more fun, just because contrast is the spice of life, and I'm more willing to put up with an ICE again if I don't have to drive it too often. 🙂

I will mention the M3P won't pull on the highway like your tuned M340i. If that's important to you best to go Plaid. Or wait for Tesla to trickle down some of that high speed performance to the M3P - I expect that will happen in the next year or two at most (just a guess).

I have an m340i in the family and a performance 3.

The 3 is faster to 60. Everything everyone else already said is true. The only thing I want to add is the m340i feels like a premium vehicle. The interior is much higher quality. The paint and body panels outside are also. Even closing the doors feels more solid. The interior of the model 3 is kind of the cheap part of the car. I chase rattles and wind noise. I want to say the m340i is more of a luxury sport sedan and the 3 is just a sport sedan.

The model 3 is more fun to drive but If I wasn't driving i think I'd rather be driven in the m340i.

That said I will always have an EV now.

Last edited:
Reactions: drtimhill
Hello Tesla community, I currently own a 2020 M340i (tuned 480 whp, 490wtq). I’ve been looking into possibly getting a model 3 performance. Have any of you owned a performance car prior ? If so how was it making the switch?. Is battery range accurate ? Any real issues while owning one?
Go for a test drive (or find someone close to you who can let you try the car). You won't be disappointed. As for ownership .. basically you charge the car at night, and drive it in the day. Service? Top up windshield washer fluid, and change tires from time to time (EVs eat tires), but otherwise nothing.

I have an m340i in the family and a performance 3.

The 3 is faster to 60. Everything everyone else already said is true. The only thing I want to add is the m340i feels like a premium vehicle. The interior is much higher quality. The paint and body panels outside are also. Even closing the doors feels more solid. The interior of the model 3 is kind of the cheap part of the car. I chase rattles and wind noise. I want to say the m340i is more of a luxury sport sedan and the 3 is just a sport sedan.

The model 3 is more fun to drive but If I wasn't driving i think I'd rather be driven in the m340i.

That said I will always have an EV now.
That’s what makes it tough, both cars have pros and cons and both are good lol. However, I do like the styling cues of how the M3P looks. I have to test drive it to see how I really feel about it. Tesla are really leading the way in technology

Used to drive BMW’s but the new ones are a joke. If you like the M340i (I did not - sluggish, drives like a Toyota) you will love the Tesla LR or Performance. Both drive better are faster off the line etc. Just so much fun to drive like the 2006-2011 BMW’s. Good luck with your decision.

Nice I’m glad to hear that you’re enjoying your M3. I’m leaning more towards doing it and placing the order :)

Replacing my wife’s 530 whp tuned f80 M3 for a Model 3 LR in a few weeks. I still have a M2 comp 6mt and a GT3 to drive for fun.

The instant torque is fun but Model 3s are slow at highway speeds. Interiors feel cheap compared to G series BMW.

Reactions: gvme
If you get a well assembled example, it’s an impressive EV.
Thats where it ends.
Sales doesn’t give a crap about you. And they know there’s reason for them to.
After sales doesn’t give a crap about you. They know the same thing.
Nothing you think after the sale matters to Tesla.
If they send an update that completely changes the layout and function of the touch screen you like (which they just did)….
F-you.
The service centers are pathetic and amateur. Understaffed, overwhelmed with questionable credentials, that are crowded. Abundantly likely your car will be damaged while being handled. Long waits for appointments, longer waits for service.
Dont think you’ll get service from an independent, nobody will touch a Tesla. Partially because it’s so unconventional and partially on principle.
If you‘re accustomed to the customer focus and excellence of Porsche or BMW, or even Chevrolet for that matter…..
Forget about it……Its welcome to the jungle, welcome to the hood, MOFO.
God help you if you get into a crash and need collision repair. Months.
Tesla can’t even get your new car registration properly sent to the DMV, so you can get a tag. Google that. Months and months with no accountability.
If you’re willing to sacrifice everything, go for it.

• Disagree
Reactions: 907XCP
I came from a F30 335i. My wife has a G01 X3 M340i. I do love the B58 engine and it does sound great. I have the 2021 Model 3 Performance. It is just a way better car to drive in almost every respect.

I thought I would not like having no dash. In fact I think the center display is better (although the V11 update has been a regression).

The BMW is a better made car and I think we can all agree on that. The interior is more premium. But I do like the Tesla interior far more than I would have expected. I've not had any rattles or creaks that seem to plague some owners thankfully.

As far as performance, I used to think my 335i was a quick car. I used to prefer manual transmissions but the ZF 8 speed BMW uses is probably the best automatic transmission ever made.

The Model 3 Performance is a different beast altogether. Throttle response is instant. You will never be able to drive a turbocharged car again after you drive the M3P. Most of the cars I have owned have been turbocharged and while the power is great, the delay is really bad. The throttle response is non-linear, and you never know how much power you are going to have at any given pedal angle. This is not the case with the M3P and I much, much prefer the consistent performance. As others have said, on the highway, the performance isn't amazing like it is under 100 km/h / 60 mph. I would say it is similar to my 335i when passing.

One pedal driving is amazing.

EV ownership is also great. I can't believe how much I enjoy never having to go get gas anymore. I like being able to precondition my car in the garage on a cold day without killing my family with exhaust fumes.

We've had a lot of issues with our G01 X3 and I think BMW styling has taken a nose dive. I was once a faithful customer, but this will be our last. I am not sure Tesla will always have my business, but at the moment, they make the best EVs on the road with the best charging infrastructure. I think if you test drove one you would order and never look back.