Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about model 3 coming from a 392 hemi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks guys for all your input. Just wanted to get some real world thoughts out there. I am still a year in a half away of getting one and want to do much research as i can before pulling the trigger. Just like ive done on the 392. So far i like all the tech stuff that comes with it. And power. Maybe 0-60 in high 2s. Wish it had more power though not that its the deciding factor. Its faster then my SRT that's for sure. But the 392 has more top end. .

Looked at different brands as well. Really narrowed it down to 2. M3P and or see what dodge is cooking up.
A year and a half away you say....do not go for a test drive

Unless you are prepared to immediately drain your bank account, sell your children
All your rational thoughts washed away,
Maybe that's because of the combo G force, blood loss and none stop giddy laughter
Obsess until delivery day, then raise the obsession level to 11

Stick to watching Tesla you tube videos and pondering what if, much safer

If only I'd followed my own advice and brought Tesla shares instead
I'd be rich and not contemplating if I should be ordering an anti G suit

Also another question. on the m3p are the front and back tires a different size? Like staggered? I've seen some with that set up and some without? If so how wide or the tires on the back and can you get all tires the same size as the back all way around or will they not fit on the front because of how wide they are?
It comes as a square set up, 235/35 R20. Mine came with P Zero's and I bought a winter set of rims and tires.

Not long ago I drove my 2020 M3LR on a 320 mile round trip in one day. It was 14 degrees when I left (after charging the car to 85%). It never got warmer than 31 degrees. I drove almost entirely on interstates in cruise control at 70MPH. I arrived at my destination with 23% left. There was a Tesla Supercharger there, so before returning I charged the car to 85%. That took 25 minutes. I got home with 21% left in the "tank". One other note: my car has 19% wheels and the max charge gives me 310 miles. So, with the greater range of a new M3 and with 18 inch wheels you'll do, even better. All this is to say that I wouldn't worry about cold weather as long as you have a 240volt charger at home and have Superchargers along your routes.

Thanks guys for all your input. Just wanted to get some real world thoughts out there. I am still a year in a half away of getting one and want to do much research as i can before pulling the trigger. Just like ive done on the 392. So far i like all the tech stuff that comes with it. And power. Maybe 0-60 in high 2s. Wish it had more power though not that its the deciding factor. Its faster then my SRT that's for sure. But the 392 has more top end. .

Looked at different brands as well. Really narrowed it down to 2. M3P and or see what dodge is cooking up.
I'm a big Mopar fan, had Chargers (5.7 and 6.4L) for the last ten years but researched and moved on to a M3P with no hesitation. By my calculations, I'm getting better performance in the 3 for 1/10 the cost of my Scat Pack, even before gas prices went crazy recently. I do miss the rumble but that's about it - driving this car is paradigm shifting. I am excited to see what Dodge comes up with in a few years with the eMuscle car, but outside of that the M3P is really the only choice for (relatively) affordable EV performance. Maybe the i4 M50.

My friend has a 392 and it's great fun! But even my Tesla LR 3 beats it in every performance category except exhaust noise and tire spin. And don't get me wrong, I love exhaust noise and tire spin, but when it comes to actual acceleration, the Tesla wins every time.
I have a video on worst case scenario winter range. Basically, what really kills range is the combination of cold weather and cycling the car between warming up and getting cold. The real world scenario I do is running multiple errands in winter. In my video example, I could have preconditioned the car - while plugged into my home charger I could have used the app to turn the heater on. This would have also added more initial heat to the batteries and would have helped overall, but I didn't do this just to show worst case.

I also have another video of racing a 392 on the highway. They have zero chance from a start and still do surprisingly bad on the highway.

Reactions: mdsco and Adam3
Same story with my buddy’s SRT Durango, we get off work at the same time late at night and a few times a month we have a little fun on the deserted freeway. He has a Borla exhaust on it but even from a 60 mph roll I pull away from him pretty easily.

When I had my previous car he would pull away from me easily but win or lose it’s all in good fun 🙂

I own a Model 3P and wouldn't trade it for anything unless it was a Model S Plaid. If you want a Tesla in the 2s range, you'll have to go with the Model S performance or plaid variant, but the plaid is double the price of a Model 3P and a used Model S performance can still run you $90-100K. Also, I'm not too familiar with the top-end power of the 392, but based on what I have researched, it shows that it has 485HP. I could be wrong, but I believe the Model 3 Performance has around 500HP.

I came from a 5.7 Charger and the pure enjoy driving my LR AWD is light years ahead of the Charger. I made the mistake of test driving a Model 3 over a year before the wife was really ready to purchase one and that wait was looooong. It’s been a year with the Tesla and it is so great To drive. There isn’t a single place we haven’t been able to go based on charging, and did I mention how much fun it is to drive?

I tell people worried about driving range - "How far do you go without stopping?" And then "How long do you go without stopping?"
Even a short stop - bathroom, snack for the car, etc - most likely you will NEVER go the distance 99% of the ownership of the car.
Short stops take minimum 15 - 20 minutes which when charging will get you across the country.
If someone tells me they go 350 - 400 miles (5-7 hours) without stopping - maybe in their dreams.

Reactions: house9 and WhiteWi
I tell people worried about driving range - "How far do you go without stopping?" And then "How long do you go without stopping?"
Even a short stop - bathroom, snack for the car, etc - most likely you will NEVER go the distance 99% of the ownership of the car.
Short stops take minimum 15 - 20 minutes which when charging will get you across the country.
If someone tells me they go 350 - 400 miles (5-7 hours) without stopping - maybe in their dreams.
Not really to worry about range now. Im getting around 280 or so now after a fill up. So not really I worried in that aspect of things. Just really wanted to see what other people experience is about the car. I'm a little over year in half on pulling the trigger on it. But in a way also waiting to see what dodge is cooking its sleeve. Regardless in will be ev next go around just a matter of what company.

I used to do that when I was in my 20s. This days With kids and age I can’t go more than 200 miles without stopping. On the subject Once you go Tesla there is no going back to ice world! Trust me. Tesla has ruined ice cars experience for me forever.

Reactions: Birdsfan
I used to do that when I was in my 20s. This days With kids and age I can’t go more than 200 miles without stopping. On the subject Once you go Tesla there is no going back to ice world! Trust me. Tesla has ruined ice cars experience for me forever.
Lol yeah I'm not at that age yet. 🤣 but my road trips are stopnlong enough to get fuel and keep it pushing. Most of the time if it's longer then 10 to 12 hours of driving I will fly. Range isn't really an issuse or switching to all tesla. Just wanna see what dodge is making. And go from there. Do any of you guys think the model 3 will ever get the 17 inch screen? Or the screen in the back seat?

Lol yeah I'm not at that age yet. 🤣 but my road trips are stopnlong enough to get fuel and keep it pushing. Most of the time if it's longer then 10 to 12 hours of driving I will fly. Range isn't really an issuse or switching to all tesla. Just wanna see what dodge is making. And go from there. Do any of you guys think the model 3 will ever get the 17 inch screen? Or the screen in the back seat?
By the way we are family of five and have done multiple trips GA-NJ and back. Our average supercharger stops are 30 min in that time we barley have enough time to go to restroom, stretch and eat a snack. No need for bigger screen in model 3 and if you want screen for a back seats it is easy to just buy iPad holder for seat back and you got yourself a screen there.

Tesla is like a gateway drug into the world of EVs. Very user friendly and easy to get comfortable with EVs and their quirks. After a couple years of Tesla ownership, I feel comfortable now in getting other EVs and understanding how to live with them. Honestly, I love road tripping in it even though I have the minivan. The way it drives, handles, autopilot, and the way it routes are way better than any ICE i've ever driven.

Model 3 won't be upgraded for awhile but maybe in 1.5 years, you'll have visibility into whether it will get the 4680 upgrade and other improvements such as rear screen (i doubt it). I think the Model 3 will be the cheap Tesla for many years to come as I don't see them go downmarket anytime soon due to demand and battery constraints.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Wish it had more power though not that its the deciding factor. Its faster then my SRT that's for sure. But the 392 has more top end. .
Yes, the big V8 will have more top end and higher max speed, but how often do you need to go 110?
From 0-60 it is an entirely different story. The Tesla low end torque is like nothing I've ever experienced in ICE vehicles. Instant and effortless, like the car isn't even trying that hard. If you drive one you will probably think the 392 feels boggy.

True, the wonderful roar of a big V8 with tuned dual exhaust is something I miss at times, but on the other hand, you can go astonishingly fast without drawing any attention.

Reactions: WhiteWi