Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about ordering 2022 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

fulmer

Apr 12, 2021
Tokyo
I have been following Tesla for many years, but I and am thinking of finally ordering the a newly refreshed 2022 Model S.

I have been living in Japan for over 20 years, but I am concerned about their service, support, charging, etc. I have heard rumors that Tesla support is not that good in Japan, but now that the Model 3 is becoming more popular, is that going to change, or is it just a rumor?

Also, I was wondering if there is free Supercharging when purchasing a new Model S.

I currently have a PHV that I would like to trade in, how is their trade in policy?

Reactions: hiroshiy
I have been following Tesla for many years, but I and am thinking of finally ordering the a newly refreshed 2022 Model S.

I have been living in Japan for over 20 years, but I am concerned about their service, support, charging, etc. I have heard rumors that Tesla support is not that good in Japan, but now that the Model 3 is becoming more popular, is that going to change, or is it just a rumor?

Also, I was wondering if there is free Supercharging when purchasing a new Model S.

I currently have a PHV that I would like to trade in, how is their trade in policy?
Hi, @fulmer; welcome to the forum!

>service, support, charging

The service itself is good enough, I believe. Parts availability was really awful until last year, but it seems Tesla opened a new Parts warehouse in the Kanto region, so I hope it's going to be better or resolved.
I haven't waited for a Supercharger recently - except Tokyo superchargers. You will wait for Roppongi, Marunouchi, and Shinonome superchargers, but Tesla recently opened Akaska (just two stalls). For long-distance travel, they are still enough.

Free supercharging for Model S/X was gone. Do you have home charging?

Reactions: SG13
Thank you for the quick reply @hiroshiy

I currently have 16A 200V home charger for my PHV, and expected to use it for the Tesla. I know it will be slow, but I don't drive much during weekdays anyway, so it should be enough for now.

What is Tesla's trade in policy? A few years back I was looking to get a Model S, and they didnt want to even look at my car. They gave me a business card for some small 3rd party company I have never heard of who would come to my house and look over my car. He provided a quote that was ½ what other places were offering... really disappointed with their service.

Small correction, in Akasaka @ ANA InterContinental Hotel there are 4 charging stalls. Made a few stops there since the open day and there is no one charging. Probably because you have to pay for the parking. I would also add, Tokyo Bay @ Shinonome AutoBacs is not necessarily busy all the time, I live nearby and go there pretty often, more often than not I can charge upon arrival w/o waiting. But I suppose it can be hit or miss depending on your timing and a bit of luck ;-)
I've never traded in non-Tesla car, so can't speak on that topic. I did trade in Model S once and overall it was a simple and friendly experience. I can't say I got top bucs for it, but it was acceptable, given car's mileage and age (3 years), plus a bit of a small dent on the rear door.
Service at Shinonome is pretty good IMHO, very friendly, folks there even helped me to make an appointment with 3rd party to install dash cam. No complaints really. I echo Hiroshiy comment about the parts, sometimes you really need to wait if it's a bit uncommon.
PS Never really had problems with charging, although I don't have charger at home (live in the apt building) - every highway service area has CHAdeMO and usually they are not occupied, Golden Week and Obon would be an exception...
PPS Feel free to ask anything else, happy to share my experience owning Model S' for the last 4+ years.

Thank you @SG13 also.

I went to the Aoyama store yesterday, but was unable to get inside and talk to anyone because I didnt have an appointment. I should have made a reservation, knowing that COVID would probably have limited people inside.... my fault...

Anyway, I was actually able to talk with a service rep outside for 2-3 min after he was finished helping another customer. He was nice and knowledgable, and helped answer some of my questions. He acknowledged that its very different from normal Japan dealers, where they have "white glove experience" and its more like buying an iPhone from an electronic store. I think Tesla will have a hard time in Japan without the "white glove experience" that most Japanese people are used to... but younger generation may be ok with most of it. For me, its not a big deal, I just need to learn how to do some things myself, instead of relying on the dealer to help.

I guess my only big concern now is the trade-in of my current car... seems like I am on my own for this... I've never had to deal with a 3rd party to trade in before, I've always relied on the dealer to take my car as trade in.

Well, good luck with you trade in, if you decide to do it, and I hope it works for you! For me personally, once I drove Tesla I was sold and realized I can never ever go back to the ICE car. Everything else, such as details of buying process, looking for suitable large parking space (was a bit of a drama) and arrangements for customer service, quickly became non-issues after the delivery.

Hello all. This is my first post here and am very excited to be here. I have placed an order for my first car, Tesla Model S refreshed one finally. The long wait has begun. Wondering if there are any fellow members who also have placed an order for the model s?
Also any tips on how we could install home charger in parking lot of mansion? I live in a mansion with multi tiered parking and wondering if anyone has installed chargers in such parking lots.
Thanks again for reading my post.
よろしくお願いします!

Hello all. This is my first post here and am very excited to be here. I have placed an order for my first car, Tesla Model S refreshed one finally. The long wait has begun. Wondering if there are any fellow members who also have placed an order for the model s?
Also any tips on how we could install home charger in parking lot of mansion? I live in a mansion with multi tiered parking and wondering if anyone has installed chargers in such parking lots.
Thanks again for reading my post.
よろしくお願いします!
(I'm assuming Mansion means Multi Unit Dwelling also called a Condominiums or an Apartments) So long as you have a dedicated spot for your car in a Mansion parking and it is not too far from your Electricity Meter to your parking space it should be technically feasable. The main issue is getting the approval of the Owners governing authority, called an Owners Committe where I live. I started by joining the Owners Committee and eventually put in a dedicated meter for my garage, but that was a while ago. My-charging-story
Even if the meter is a long way from the parking space, systems now exist, which allow Multi Unit Dwelling owners to install systems that allow EV owners to charge from the "House Power", compensate the Owners as a group and prevent overloading House power. In Australia where I live one company is JetCharge. I would be surprised if there is not an equivalent in Japan. However, regardless of where you are, people are people and you have to overcome the Owners concerns. That is possibly the hardest part.

Thank you for your quick response @meloccom . Yes, my mansion (Japanese term) means multi dwelling unit. And yes I do understand getting consent from the owners association would be the biggest hurdle. Thanks for sharing your story and also insights about JetCharge. Appreciate it.