Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about ordering a Y (long range) - a couple of questions...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thinking about ordering a Model Y long range in either metallic silver or black. Silver ETA is 11/22 and black is 7/22. Time isn't too much of an issue, but just was wondering if these dates could go much longer or on the other end, could it be shorter?

Also, I'm a little hesitant to order now because of the unknown factor of the federal tax credit. From what I understand, there may be a vote soon and Tesla's could again be eligible? If they are and I order today, I would still be able to get the credit? However, if there is a credit and the wait goes into '23, there's no guarantees for any type of credit, correct?

Also, there are a few Tesla stores in my area (Washington, DC). Would it matter where I place an order from? Should I just do it online?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/assistance with the process.

The last time I looked, any paid option for a physical upgrade (paint, interior, induction wheels, tow hitch, 7 seats) sets the estimated delivery date on the website to July. Since both white and silver are free, the EDD with no other upgrades is November. Yes, the dates could go longer or shorter with or without the upgrades.

There are lots of opinions about the probability of the EV tax credit undergoing changes that would Include Teslas (likely only the Model Y and Model 3 due to price caps), but I’ve seen no agreement in congress about the terms, nor is there any certainty that the overarching budget bill, of which the EV tax credit is a part, will pass before the midterm elections in November 2022. No guarantees either way.

Ordering online is great. You’ll be matched with a delivery center in your area, but will get a choice of location.

Is it worth it without any type of tax credit?
A tax credit would be a good thing. When I purchased my 2020 Long Range Model Y in 2020 there was no tax credit, state or federal to be had. When you purchase a new vehicle you are usually purchasing a depreciating asset. Recently, however used Tesla vehicles have been holding their value and even appreciating. Couple the market for used vehicles with the almost certain future price increases and it makes sense to purchase a Tesla vehicle now and lock in the price if you want one and can afford it.

You can change your vehicle configuration prior to delivery but if you change your order and decide you want a different Tesla vehicle you would have to pay the new price. Skip Full Self Driving as A) it is not worth $10k, B) can be purchased after delivery and C) can be leased month to month. A tow hitch can be useful for attaching a bicycle rack as well as towing a trailer. The price of the tow hitch option is $1000 if you purchase at order time, can be purchased later for $1300. In both cases the Tesla Service center will install the tow hitch after delivery.

Tesla showrooms and dealerships can be reassuring, necessary if you require a test drive. Know that no matter how responsive the Tesla representatives may be to your inquiries prior to delivery once your Tesla vehicle is delivered all of these Tesla people will turn into ghosts. From then on you will communicate exclusively with the local Service Center via the Tesla phone app, rarely email and almost never by phone.

Last edited:
Is it worth it without any type of tax credit?

Yes as long as you want an EV and EV prices keep going up. Inflation and supply shortages suggest it won't but customer demand could drop off.

It's hard to know what happens in the next couple of years. Will there be enough raw materials to build enough batteries, motors, and EV cars? Will the electric grid be large enough to support EV owners? Will state governments and utilities increases fees/taxes on EV owners? Will ICE vehicles become the value proposition?