TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Thinking about purchasing, but have a bunch of newbie questions...

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Spelly88, May 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Spelly88

Spelly88 Member

Hey all! I’m hopefully going to take the plunge shortly so I wanted to do some research and ask some really newbie type questions. Reading this forum over the past week has been extremely helpful! I just had a few questions that I wanted some more clarification on… I apologize in advance if these are answered somewhere else, but I wanted to make sure I had the latest information.

I currently have a ’13 Range Rover Sport SC and I’m just getting tired of the 12mpg and $65+ gas bills.

My daily commute is about 25 miles round trip, so I’m thinking about a “value” MX 75D with the stock black exterior and textile interior.

1. Can someone give me an idea of cost per year for owning the X? For instance, with the RR, I seem to pay around 3-5k annually for annual service, oil change, brakes/pads, & other random things that RR service finds which all seem to be outside the warranty. I'm also not even counting gas.
    2. Can you haggle the price at all, or is it just whatever the website says? If you can’t, are there any breaks in trying to buy an inventory model? (assuming you can find any)
    3. Is it worth even thinking about a used one?
    4. I still need to do a test drive. Can/Will they bring the car to you or do I have to visit the showroom?
    5. It appears I’d want the PUP because I live in the Philly area suburbs and we have cold winters, so the subzero package seems necessary right? Also, I like nice audio and am I reading it correctly where satellite radio does not come with the car if you don’t get the PUP? The self-presenting doors scare me since I park in a tight parking garage for work every day and I don’t want them to bang into other cars. I’d most likely disable this feature.
    6. If I’m correct, you can activate the EAP and FSD after it arrives, but you pay an extra $1k for each? Are either worth it?
    7. I was reading another thread on here about the Textile interior vs. the White. Is the Textile cloth? Do owners seem to like it? I haven’t seen it in person yet but I hope to shortly.
    8. Is the Tesla wall charger worth getting? What does it typically cost to install? If I park in a garage during winter months, and in the driveway otherwise, where should I get it installed? What do others in my situation do?
    9. What’s the best way to order? Online, or going to a showroom and talking to someone? (an OA?)
    10. If showroom, does anyone have a good reference they can share for the Devon, PA location?
    11. Any accessories that this does not come with that I should consider getting? Floor mats, etc.?
    12. Lastly, anything I’m NOT asking that I should know about? (I do know about the tax credit and to use a referral code whenever I finally order)
    I know these are a lot of questions, so I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to answer any of them. Thank you all for reading!

Josh

2. Spelly88

Spelly88 Member

Sorry, one more.

13. How does trading in your car work, especially if you order online?

3. pkodali

pkodali Member

I'd be happy to answer these questions in a couple of hours. Wanted to say this so I didn't forget. Cost is super dependent on electricity as well as if you will use superchargers. No haggling except maybe on inventory models if they come in not as good condition. Order in store so you can see fabrics in person. I can send you a referral code for free supercharging

4. pkodali

pkodali Member

I wouldn't trade in. Get a CarMax appraisal though if your super set on going with a Tesla trade in as they'll match the quote

5. kev1n

kev1n Member

1. if you want to be super lazy, you can grab their annual maintenance plans, Maintenance Plans | Model S and Model X
    2. no haggling at all on new cars unless its an inventory car with discounts on it already
    3. i would say not really for X as they are very limited(car is 2016+) and usually priced too close to a new one
    4. make an appointment on their website for a test drive
    5. yes to subzero/audio upgrade. the self presenting doors can be turned off.
    6. i would look into EAP as a driving aid, its amazing. but skip FSD(this option does absolutely nothing right now)
    7. textile is half cloth/half vegan leather design. it looks ok and is comfy. i think the full vegan leather look better though. personal preference.
    8. the highest cost usually is how long of a run you would need from your breaker panel to where you want the charger/outlet. most of us just do a NEMA 14-50 outlet with the UMC thats already provided. it sounds like you would need two installs, one inside/one outside. is it not possible to just park the car inside year round?
    9. if you are just doing a NEW order, probably online. if you want to try to scope out what inventory are available with discounts, try to get in contact with an new owners adviser.
    10. not local to you, sorry
    11. get some nice all weather floor mats.
    12. dont test drive one unless youre ready to buy ;)

• Like x 1
  6. Boourns

Boourns Active Member

Answer to a few of them:

2. No haggle at all on new cars. Even Tesla employees pay full price. If you talk to an OA or whatever they are calling them now, they can give you an idea of inventory cars that are for sale. They are less than full price, but discounted by an mount determined by Tesla -- still no haggle. Also you can search for them here https://www.teslainventory.com/ or here EV-CPO.com - Tesla New, Used, and CPO Inventory Listings

3. Tesla sells CPOs, but inventory is inconsistent. You can search for CPOs at either of the above websites.

6. In my opinion, EAP is totally worth the price, especially if you have a heavy traffic commute. FSD gets you nothing extra at the moment, so most people say it's not worth it. Some think that it's worth the extra premium to lock in the price now because it may go up when the functionality is released.

• Like x 2
  7. Krazaak

Krazaak Member

1. Tires are the only major maintenance costs. Tesla recommends some maintenance, but it’s optional.

2. No haggling, but inventory models can carry a hefty discount on the top trims.

3. If you find the right one, maybe. Personally, I’d only own a car like this under warranty.

4. I’m not sure if they’ll come to you with a test drive, but ask for an extended (24-48h) test drive if you get serious.

5. I don’t have PUP, but I sometimes wish I did. It was an inventory car and the discount made it too good to pass up.

6. EAP is nice on highway trips, but it depends a lot on the individual. At the moment, FSD is vaporware.

8. I installed the HPWC w/ 24’ cord so I can charge in garage or driveway. Costs though depend on your layout.

9. New order, online is fine, but if you want to see the real inventory options, use an OA.

13. I’ve done both my trades through Tesla. You fill out some info online, take pictures and Tesla sends it out for bids. Get a competitive offer from CarMax, but for both of mine, Tesla was higher by $3-5k. Private party would be better.

• Like x 1
  8. Spelly88

Spelly88 Member

Thank you to everyone who has replied so far. This is really helpful! I'll have some followup questions shortly, but in the meantime I thought of one more I forgot to ask initially...

14. Do we know about when the 2019 models will be coming out? Wondering if it's worth getting a 2018 or waiting for the 2019 models...

9. Peteski

Peteski Member

Firstly forget about FSD, it doesn't exist today and probably won't do in the next few years for many reasons. Even EAP is still very much under development, but it does work pretty well and I find it useful on my daily drives in traffic. Best to try it for yourself before committing to the cost though.

PUP is very expensive. I went for it because I wanted some of the key features, but I don't use the self-presenting door function for safety reasons.

Make sure you use a referral code from someone local who can genuinely help you out. Everyone and his dog will offer you a code here, I can give you a code if you like, lol. Just remember that using someone's referral code is of more benefit to them than it is to you, so you are doing them a favour. Do certainly use one though for the free supercharging.

In your shoes I would go to the showroom and look at the various interior options - there are not many, so most should be on show in either an X or S. I thought the standard textile interior was okay, but the trim that goes with it looks a bit cheap. I upgraded to the premium interior, which I think looks better. All personal preference though.

It's a great car, I'm sure you'll love the test drive!

10. Brass Guy

Brass Guy Member

1. Didn't cost me anything, but I don't bother with the scheduled service. If you do, that should be your only cost. They never turned down a request for any kind of warranty issue I had.

3. Yes, if you can find one.
    4. I have not heard of them bringing a car out for a test drive.

7. I prefer textile seats to any of the others I've had in loaners. I slide around on the seat when cornering with leather seats, not with the textile.

8. Wall charger - it depends on your own situation. Many (myself included) charge with the included UMC. Don't unplug it every day, you don't need it with you unless you're driving out of areas covered by Superchargers.
    If you insist on keeping your routine (garage winter/driveway summer), I have a few ideas:
    You could install it near the garage opening, park face in in winter. In the summer, park backed in. You'd have to run the cord out somewhere though.
    Another idea is to have an outlet installed in the garage, and another installed outside the garage in a weather rated enclosure. Move the UMC seasonally.
    Or you could install the long corded wall connector as suggested above.
    Or you could use the UMC in the garage, and purchase and install a wall connector (which is outdoor rated) near the driveway.

14. Tesla does not change with model years like other manufacturers, but make minor (sometimes major) changes any time they see fit. 2019 cars will come out in January of 2019.

• Like x 1
  11. pkodali

pkodali Member

Rumor is refresh at the earliest 1q 2019, but keep in mind the tax credit taper by then

12. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Most people go with a NEMA 14-50 outlet and use the supplied mobile charger but I'm a huge fan of the Tesla wall charger instead. It's more robust, looks cool, allows me to keep the mobile charger in the car and, depending upon how much your home electrical panel can output, you may be able to charger faster with the wall charger than with the mobile charger.

I have one Tesla living inside and one living outside, so I routed the charging cable behind the garage door track and undercut the garage door frame just enough to slip the charging cable under. This way, my wall charger lives inside the garage yet I can leave the cable outside (mounted on a gecko toes hose mount) and open and close the garage door without the cable being affected.

• Like x 1
  13. Malbrough

Malbrough Member

1. I think the annual maintenance service visit costs around $750. It varies a bit each year. I've seen the exact cost somewhere on here. The maintenance plan guarantees a fixed cost each year, plus gives a bit of a discount.
    2. No haggling, but if you use another owner's referral code you get free Supercharging for life!
    3. No. Used models do not qualify for the $7500 tax credit. Also, new guarantees a newer MCU, which you really want.
    4. We scheduled our Model X test drive 2 weeks in advance to get a Saturday appointment, and visited Frisco, TX gallery 200 miles away. Was nice to check out other colors and options on their show models and loaners at that location.
    5. The front seats are heated on non-PUP, PUP adds the rear seat heating. You can turn off the auto-present door feature, as many folks do. Don't know about satelite, as we have non-PUP, but we like the included Slacker and streaming radio stations. Audio from our phones via Bluetooth works well also.
    6. I tested Autopilot on our test drive, and it is very cool and I can see it greatly reducing fatigue. However, we're not getting Autopilot until the fed/states can agree on a standard set of markings for medians, etc. on roadways to make them safer. Personnal preferrence...
    7. Textile is a black mix of cloth and faux leather panels, I think.
    8. We got the High Power Wall Charger installed on a 50A breaker. It's overkill for us. If I did it over, I'd save the money and get the Gen 2 32-amp Mobile Charger ($300) and install a NEMA 14-50 just below my box in the garage for $30. Or just use the one that comes with the MX for free. Just don't forget it when you travel.

11. All weather floor mats for sure. I also got some brighter LEDs from Amazon for the frunk and trunk area.

• Like x 1
  14. Peteybabes

Peteybabes redneck drivin' a tesla...

my cost so far to own has been between $12-$20 in electricity from charging at home depending on weather. I will need to replace tires soon cuz the factory rubber was junk then i shouldn't have to worry about that again for 2 years. Also buy glass coverage on your insurance as my windshield got busted by a stray rock and it's a $1700 fix (my deductible was $1000 :( ) No significant brake wear thanks to Re-Gen means you'll likely never need to replace pads or rotors...They're Brembo for crying out loud! :D

i got a GE watt-station brand new from an auction for $100, and my brother wired it up to code for me for another $100 or so in parts.

Insurance is $60/month with progressive.

My car was a 1 year old early VIN demo car with 1200 miles, and was reduced from $138K to $111K which meant that my lease payment went from the original $2400+/month down to $1183/month! :D:D:D

Autopilot is a must, but Full Self Driving is just a waste of cash at the moment. Tesla has been promising stuff forever on it, but i'd be willing to wait and spend the extra $1k then.

15. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Welcome to the forum @Spelly88

1) Here is some info regarding the optional maintenance plans...but Tesla obviously recommends the service. And since I purchased my X and I spent $$$ on it. I would get it done....the pricing. It is $2,750 for 4 years of service or you can pay per year. The other expense is tires...for the 20 inch continentals from Tesla...it cost me $1500 after 30 miles.

2) Nope...they don't negotiate at all. You can use a referral code for some freebies (if you need one let me know).

3) If you can afford a new one...I would get it especially if you plan to keep the car for a long time (better build quality on newer builds).

4) Visit the showroom...but they do offer overnight test drives sometimes.

5) Yea they bundled it all with PUP. I have it on my X (and I do keep self door opening disabled). But I got my PUP before they bundled better audio and cold weather packet with it...so I don't have any of that.

6) That is correct...I got it on my X (because I drive it a lot) but didn't get it yet on my 3. If you do a lot of highway driving..I would get EAP and hold off on FSD.

7) I would stay away from textile interior...personally my favorite is cream. But textile interior is cloth and will get dirty easily.

8) Yea...I only use the WC. It is a much cleaner setup...I always park in the garage. The only feasible option would be to get two if you want to use it outside and inside. You can actually do load-sharing so you won't need a large circuit.

9) Order online

11) Get the floor mats from shop.tesla and I did an entire video on Tesla Accessories:

12) Ordering is super simple...if you need a referral code...I would be happy to send you mine.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  16. ps004ynos

ps004ynos Member

1. Yearly cost are tires + electricity. No oil changes. Regen braking makes brakes/pad replacement unlikely. Depending on driving style/suspension setting, 20" wheels last 15-40k miles, 22" less. You'll have to decide on annual services. Prepay 2750 = 687/year. Skipping them doesn't impact the initial warranty but can limit the extended warranty if you buy it. Electricity rates vary by region and time of use.
    2. Not much haggling room. Buying a CPO at end of quarter increases the odds. You'll hear of showroom discounts, sometimes they waive destination fee. Mine arrived with paint damage so they threw in the first annual service. They also forgot to apply my referral code so I loss $1k but they gave me 5 referral awards to make up for it.
    3. If I had to buy again I'd buy a used P model
    4. Arrange an overnight/weekend test drive. I don't think they deliver, have to go to the showroom.
    5. Older PUP did not include high-def sound or sub-zero. So specifically check for both on a used purchase.
    6. I didn't bother with EAP or FSD. Some people love these though.
    7. We went with white, easy to clean despite our little kids
    8. We use a Nema 14-50 outlet. HPWC looks nicer/charges faster if your breaker box fuse supports it. Installation costs vary. I was quoted $400 but house was already wired so $8 at home depot for the outlet. A friend got it for $150. Depends on how far the outlet/HWPC will be from the breaker box. People debate getting the permit. The wall charger cord can be 24 feet. The already included mobile connector is 20 feet. If your driveway is long and you park a distance away, some people use an extension cord with the mobile connector but I don't think you can do that with the wall charger.
    9. I originally went through the showroom but I think a good OA is better, especially if you're looking for a CPO.

Just throwing it out there but I like driving my wife's 3 more than the X. Did you need an SUV? If you're looking for extreme value, how about a beater leaf/volt? There's also european hybrids with 20+ electric range.

• Like x 1
  17. Spelly88

Spelly88 Member

Thank you all for the responses, this is really a great help...

@ps004ynos I'm used to an SUV, honestly. I like being up high...

It sounds like most people prefer the EAP over the PUP. Can someone please confirm that the PUP is necessary in order to get satellite radio? (without an aftermarket device of course). Is the upgraded audio system that much better over the stock? If I'm not an audiophile, is it likely I'll even notice the difference? I'd prefer both packages of course, but I'm trying to build this for under 90k.

• Like x 1
  18. pkodali

pkodali Member

You need pup to get satellite radio since they use different mcus. Not an audiophile, but the model x audio is pretty decent and if you ever don't like it you could get an aftermarket upgrade for 2 to 3k

19. Peteski

Peteski Member

Comparing EAP vs PUP is an odd thing to do as they are apples and oranges. I chose both because I wanted AS/TACC and most of the PUP features.
    How much do you really need satellite radio? Can you not get the same channels on internet radio? Satellite radio is not popular in the UK, so I don't know what the attraction is. DAB radio is popular here, but I prefer internet radio streaming in the Tesla and I can get many more channels that way. I would imagine you can too, but something to look into.
    The premium audio is very good to my audiophile ears and my wife loves it, but to be honest I never heard the stock audio. I've heard mixed reports of both here, but mine compares well with any in-car audio I've previously experienced. Only my full-on Naim system at home is significantly better and it should be at the price and located in a large room vs tin can! Sound quality does vary a lot with the music source though, which might explain some of the mixed reviews. We are lucky to get premium Spotify streaming in UK Teslas and the sound quality using Spotify is way better than streaming music from my iPhone, or DAB radio or internet radio - although they are all still quite acceptable for casual listening. It's just that the Spotify sound is an obvious cut above the other sources on this system.

• Like x 1
  20. Peteybabes

Peteybabes redneck drivin' a tesla...

i must say the regular sound system is good for only 2 people...the driver and the passenger.

my passengers in the 2nd and 3rd row are always complaining that they can hardly hear the music which means i have to turn it up really high...

when i've driven the MX's with the premium sound it's way better and i don't have to turn it up as high as there are more speakers.

• Like x 1