Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking About Selling Focus ST For a Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time poster - Sorry for a similar thread as 1LE McQueen has about his Camaro, but I am battling a similar question with my Ford Focus ST.

I bought my Focus ST back in 2013, shortly after it came out. It is the the top trim ST3 package (leather Recaro seats, Nav, HID lighting), white over black, and is currently sitting at 60k miles. Other than a TSB for a wobbly motor mount within the first year, I have only been back to the dealership one other time, and that was to have the Ford Racing Performance flash tune installed. The car has been utterly flawless for me, and it was something that I strongly desired before it even went on sale. To this day, it continues to put a smile on my face, and it is still in excellent condition.

However, I have become intrigued by the introduction of electric propulsion, and after a few drives of the Volt and the Leaf, I even came to appreciate them. In fact, 3 years ago, when we needed to purchase a vehicle for my wife, we decided to dip our toes in this technology, and ended up purchasing a CPO Lincoln MKZ Hybrid. This car has also been flawless over the last 50k miles, requiring nothing more than oil changes and tire rotations, while averaging 40 mpg overall!

Enter the Model 3. I had not seen one of these up close until about a month ago, when I spent some time with a white on white Model 3 at the Milwaukee Auto Show. I came away extremely impressed with the overall package, so much that I was considering driving one sometime in the warmer weather. A few days later, a good friend of mine tells me that he has an appointment to drive a Model 3 in Chicago, so I promptly invited myself along!

We took out a MR, dark silver over white. I was *shocked* not only by the response, both acceleration and regen, but also with the handling, technology, quietness, and ride comfort. So much, in fact, that I am now seriously considering selling my beloved Focus ST for a LR AWD! From a driving perspective, it seems like a ton of fun, but in a completely different manner than my Focus. Probably my greatest concern about this change would be the loss of a manual transmission, however, I would still have my '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder to satisfy my need for a manual, not to mention that it is also a 2100 pound mid-engined convertible to boot.

My primary detractor from buying a Model 3 is simply that I am cheap, and even with the tax credit and fuel savings, it just doesn't make good financial sense over keeping my current car. A LR AWD configured as I would prefer is $55,651 after destination and sales tax. Even if I got $15k for my Ford, and another $3750 for a tax credit, I am still into this car for another $37k over my Focus. Sure, my fuel cost will be reduced by 75%, but at my projected mileage rate, I am guessing I would 'only' save $8500 after 6 years. Essentially, this really becomes a Heart over Head purchase, something I am not all that good at.

In addition, I have a few other concerns. For instance how does the mobile service work if I would need to have it fixed for some reason? I am about 90 miles from the closest service center - Do I need to take it there, or would they send service to me? Also, I am well aware that the use of the heater saps range. However, range aside, how does the heat and defrost work as compared to gasoline cars? I know about the pre-heat function, and plan to use this while plugged in my garage overnight, but how effective is the heat /defrost if I come out to it after a day of work, if the daytime temps barely reach 0 degrees F? Other than reduced range and regen, are there any other concerns with cold weather operation?

This is all I have for now, but I'd appreciate any feedback or advice you could provide - Thanks in advance!

Reactions: SmartElectric
First time poster - Sorry for a similar thread as 1LE McQueen has about his Camaro, but I am battling a similar question with my Ford Focus ST.

I bought my Focus ST back in 2013, shortly after it came out. It is the the top trim ST3 package (leather Recaro seats, Nav, HID lighting), white over black, and is currently sitting at 60k miles. Other than a TSB for a wobbly motor mount within the first year, I have only been back to the dealership one other time, and that was to have the Ford Racing Performance flash tune installed. The car has been utterly flawless for me, and it was something that I strongly desired before it even went on sale. To this day, it continues to put a smile on my face, and it is still in excellent condition.

However, I have become intrigued by the introduction of electric propulsion, and after a few drives of the Volt and the Leaf, I even came to appreciate them. In fact, 3 years ago, when we needed to purchase a vehicle for my wife, we decided to dip our toes in this technology, and ended up purchasing a CPO Lincoln MKZ Hybrid. This car has also been flawless over the last 50k miles, requiring nothing more than oil changes and tire rotations, while averaging 40 mpg overall!

Enter the Model 3. I had not seen one of these up close until about a month ago, when I spent some time with a white on white Model 3 at the Milwaukee Auto Show. I came away extremely impressed with the overall package, so much that I was considering driving one sometime in the warmer weather. A few days later, a good friend of mine tells me that he has an appointment to drive a Model 3 in Chicago, so I promptly invited myself along!

We took out a MR, dark silver over white. I was *shocked* not only by the response, both acceleration and regen, but also with the handling, technology, quietness, and ride comfort. So much, in fact, that I am now seriously considering selling my beloved Focus ST for a LR AWD! From a driving perspective, it seems like a ton of fun, but in a completely different manner than my Focus. Probably my greatest concern about this change would be the loss of a manual transmission, however, I would still have my '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder to satisfy my need for a manual, not to mention that it is also a 2100 pound mid-engined convertible to boot.

My primary detractor from buying a Model 3 is simply that I am cheap, and even with the tax credit and fuel savings, it just doesn't make good financial sense over keeping my current car. A LR AWD configured as I would prefer is $55,651 after destination and sales tax. Even if I got $15k for my Ford, and another $3750 for a tax credit, I am still into this car for another $37k over my Focus. Sure, my fuel cost will be reduced by 75%, but at my projected mileage rate, I am guessing I would 'only' save $8500 after 6 years. Essentially, this really becomes a Heart over Head purchase, something I am not all that good at.

In addition, I have a few other concerns. For instance how does the mobile service work if I would need to have it fixed for some reason? I am about 90 miles from the closest service center - Do I need to take it there, or would they send service to me? Also, I am well aware that the use of the heater saps range. However, range aside, how does the heat and defrost work as compared to gasoline cars? I know about the pre-heat function, and plan to use this while plugged in my garage overnight, but how effective is the heat /defrost if I come out to it after a day of work, if the daytime temps barely reach 0 degrees F? Other than reduced range and regen, are there any other concerns with cold weather operation?

This is all I have for now, but I'd appreciate any feedback or advice you could provide - Thanks in advance!

If you want to make a smart financial decision, keep the Ford. If you don’t mind investing $60,000 into a new car that should last you 10+ years then get the model 3.

I’ve only had mine for 7 months and about 4000 miles but it’s an amazing car.

Defrost and heat seem to work great. I just keep it on auto and it does a great job. Using the preheat clears up the cold windows within about 3 minutes (I have not had to try this with iced over windows as I park in the garage at night and in a parking garage while I’m at work but there are probably videos on YouTube.

I’m winter weather, you’re likely to get closer to 160 miles of range than the advertised 310. Not sure how far your commute is or what your charging situation is.

It’s an amazing car. If the payment doesn’t break the bank I’d say go for it. But it also sounds like you’ve still got a car you love even if you don’t spring for it.

...about 90 miles from the closest service center...

Count your blessings. I am in California Central Valley and I'm about 200 miles from Service Center.

I needed minor fixes such as when a message of "12V battery needs service soon", mobile service would drive to me to swap it out.

Even if your service center is close by, they want mobile service to take care stuff that don't need Service Center and they want the traffic flow to Service Center for things that can't be done by mobile service such as Wheel Alignment...

...heat and defrost work as compared to gasoline cars? I know about the pre-heat function...after a day of work, if the daytime temps barely reach 0 degrees F?...

Cold arctic owners such as Norway have been driving Tesla for years with no problem.

Tesla's heat seems to be instant or much faster than gasoline heat.

If your work hours are consistent, your car can learn and pre-condition it for summer and winter so you don't have to worry about hot car or cold car. 0F is no problem at all. It'll be nice and toasty when you get off work and get into your Tesla.

Tesla hasn't produced Ford Focus price range yet so of course, it costs more. But just like the high cost of solar panels, you put up a big investment up front but if you keep it for years, eventually, your investment would catch up and it'll be cheaper than a cheap gasoline car.

I think I can provide some insight.

On the financial front, that is totally up to you. It is a fantastic car and I think you will be very happy, but you have to decide the finances for yourself.

On the drive side, I think we come from similar places. When looking at my last car, a Focus ST was on the list, but the interior was a bit too hard for my long-distant commutes. The drive was amazing though (I even did the pre-launch autox event they did!). A manual was a must for me, with my last car being an 2013 Audi A4 manual sport package (took over 6 months for a CPO to show up!) And the car before that was a 2014 FR-S manual. Both driven about 50kd. Both were sporty cars, at different edges of the spectrum (hard-core sports car vs luxury sports sedan). I cannot stand daily driving an automatic; even the best are a boring experience for me daily. But enter the EV.

Why do you like a manual? For me, and I think most, it is the direct response to your input and driver engagement in the car. There is nothing like a perfect 3-2 shift mid apex. But an EV does exactly that, the second you hit the throttle, the car does exactly what you want it to; no waiting for a transmission to figure out what it thinks you want. Second you lift off, it's acting in a completely predicable manner, and it is ready for your next input. I think an EV is much more akin to driving a manual than an auto; in fact I think it's the ultimate in driver engagement. Now I am not going to say I don't miss my manual... But no you know what... As I write this, I have to say I don't. With an MR2, you will get the best of the manual if you are longing for the nostalgia, but I doubt you will.

The 3 is an amazing car, with quirks, but the best part is it always gets better. I do not miss my ICE or manual, and I was a very hard core manual person. The 3 is incredibly tight for the weight, and the AWD is amazing in the corners; it pulls in a very unique but fantastic way, as thetmotors are truly independent. It is not perfect, but if you are like me, and it seems we have some similarities in taste, I think you will be very satisfied.

Best of luck on your decision!

I came from a manual e46 M3. The TM3 is a far less ‘engaging’ experience in that you’re not rowing gears, blipping the throttle to rev match, listening to the RPMs of the engine, etc. It’s engaging in other ways though, learning to feel the limits of grip, thinking about best lines, and of course being able to accelerate like a crazy person ;)

It’s just a very different experience. Not worse per se, just really different. It depends on what you like about driving. If the visceral parts of it tickle your senses, you might not love an EV. IMO I think the TM3/MR2 combo is a fantastic stable, I really doubt you could go wrong with it.

I came from a manual e46 M3. The TM3 is a far less ‘engaging’ experience in that you’re not rowing gears, blipping the throttle to rev match, listening to the RPMs of the engine, etc. It’s engaging in other ways though, learning to feel the limits of grip, thinking about best lines, and of course being able to accelerate like a crazy person ;)

It’s just a very different experience. Not worse per se, just really different. It depends on what you like about driving. If the visceral parts of it tickle your senses, you might not love an EV. IMO I think the TM3/MR2 combo is a fantastic stable, I really doubt you could go wrong with it.

2nd this.

I *love* manual transmissions... but keep in mind that the Tesla setup is *not* an automatic. There are no slushy shifts. The only reason you can't drive around all day long in 5th gear in a manual transmission car is because internal combustion engines have no torque at very low RPMs. I almost hate to say it... but shifting gears at all is really a crutch for the deficiencies of a gas powered engine. Electric motors have torque starting at 0 rpm, so shifting would be pointless and just slow you down. The nearly direct connection between the electric motor and the wheels is one of my favorite aspects of a Tesla. And this is coming from someone who loves to toss his manual transmission cars around a racetrack when the opportunity arises.

I started to sell my Focus ST, but when it came down to trading it in, I just couldn't do it. My M3 is delivered next week. The ST is a blast to drive and there is something special about a manual transmission. Based on everything I've read in these and other forums, I'm going to be glad I kept it. At some point, my M3 is going to be on a flatbed.

• Disagree
I started to sell my Focus ST, but when it came down to trading it in, I just couldn't do it. My M3 is delivered next week. The ST is a blast to drive and there is something special about a manual transmission. Based on everything I've read in these and other forums, I'm going to be glad I kept it. At some point, my M3 is going to be on a flatbed.

Are you implying that all Teslas end up being towed at some point?

Defrost and heat seem to work great. I just keep it on auto and it does a great job. Using the preheat clears up the cold windows within about 3 minutes (I have not had to try this with iced over windows as I park in the garage at night and in a parking garage while I’m at work but there are probably videos on YouTube.

I’m winter weather, you’re likely to get closer to 160 miles of range than the advertised 310. Not sure how far your commute is or what your charging situation is.

Great feedback on the heat and defrost - Other than a reduction in range, it seems to work well enough. With respect to range, 160 miles on the worst days is still fine, as my commute is less than 30 miles round trip.

Even if your service center is close by, they want mobile service to take care stuff that don't need Service Center and they want the traffic flow to Service Center for things that can't be done by mobile service such as Wheel Alignment...

Tesla's heat seems to be instant or much faster than gasoline heat. If your work hours are consistent, your car can learn and pre-condition it for summer and winter so you don't have to worry about hot car or cold car. 0F is no problem at all. It'll be nice and toasty when you get off work and get into your Tesla.

Interesting info on the mobile service. I was not aware this seems to be the preferred method of service. This is good news to me. Regarding the pre-conditioning, this is something that I would make good use of.

I think I can provide some insight.

On the financial front, that is totally up to you. It is a fantastic car and I think you will be very happy, but you have to decide the finances for yourself.

On the drive side, I think we come from similar places. When looking at my last car, a Focus ST was on the list, but the interior was a bit too hard for my long-distant commutes. The drive was amazing though (I even did the pre-launch autox event they did!). A manual was a must for me, with my last car being an 2013 Audi A4 manual sport package (took over 6 months for a CPO to show up!) And the car before that was a 2014 FR-S manual. Both driven about 50kd. Both were sporty cars, at different edges of the spectrum (hard-core sports car vs luxury sports sedan). I cannot stand daily driving an automatic; even the best are a boring experience for me daily. But enter the EV.

Why do you like a manual? For me, and I think most, it is the direct response to your input and driver engagement in the car. There is nothing like a perfect 3-2 shift mid apex. But an EV does exactly that, the second you hit the throttle, the car does exactly what you want it to; no waiting for a transmission to figure out what it thinks you want. Second you lift off, it's acting in a completely predicable manner, and it is ready for your next input. I think an EV is much more akin to driving a manual than an auto; in fact I think it's the ultimate in driver engagement. Now I am not going to say I don't miss my manual... But no you know what... As I write this, I have to say I don't. With an MR2, you will get the best of the manual if you are longing for the nostalgia, but I doubt you will.

The 3 is an amazing car, with quirks, but the best part is it always gets better. I do not miss my ICE or manual, and I was a very hard core manual person. The 3 is incredibly tight for the weight, and the AWD is amazing in the corners; it pulls in a very unique but fantastic way, as thetmotors are truly independent. It is not perfect, but if you are like me, and it seems we have some similarities in taste, I think you will be very satisfied.

Best of luck on your decision!

Excellent feedback on the drive perspective! I know exactly where you are coming from with your comments about the response, as my description of it was that it felt like driving a manual transmission car, that was in 2nd gear....forever! Always peak torque available, along with maximum regen. I really enjoyed this aspect while flying though a few cloverleafs near the dealership - extremely controllable. The steering and handling were just as awesome also, which is much of the reason why I cannot get this car out of my head.

IMO I think the TM3/MR2 combo is a fantastic stable, I really doubt you could go wrong with it.

This is what I am thinking also.

With regard to the financial aspect of this decision, being the geek I am, I ran some calculations over the next 6 years. If I figure 66% depreciation of my Focus ST (currently $15k, down to $5k) or the Model 3 ($52k, down to $17k), then factor in fuel savings of $8500 based upon the higher usage of my wife's car, it comes down to just over $16k difference over that period. Divided monthly across 72 months end up being around an additional $225/mo over keeping my Focus ST. Not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

I just need to decide for myself if the Model 3 is what I truly want, or would I prefer to keep my Focus. That said, I am sure that I will be doing a lot more lurking over the next few weeks.

I ditched my pos focus titanium and haven't looked back. Even the Chevy volt was a much much better vehicle. Good news is that you can always sell them for more than a trade in.

New cars always depreciate faster than used ones, well except maybe for the focus when continued to depreciate into nothing. Good thing Ford night it back from me due to lemon laws.

Glamisduner, can you post a full size image of your car, as that is exactly the combination I am interested in! White over white with the 18 Aero wheels, with the covers removed. Or if you have seen other photos of that combination, please send me some links, as I have been striking out with Google.

This is the same argument that peope made when deciding to give up their horse for a car. The experience is different.
The manual transmission allows aggression during driving. You can slam the shifter, pop the clutch floor the pedal. It is a great feeling, especially for the testesterone people.
Shifter allows a more engaging experience that more closely connects the driver with the machine. Simply...it is fun.

Other than that, an automatic is most times (but not all) is the better solution. Currently automatic transmissions offer better performance, better fuel economy, less maintenance and generally a better driving solution. For most drivers the joys of using a manual are only fleeting in our normal daily use. In heavy traffic it is a pain, in long distance cruising it is no fun. Mostly only on engaging roads, and trying to optimize performance does it really give all that much benefit to offset the extra work.

Luckily Tesla has come along at just the right time. It offers exquisite throttle control, one pedal driving (instead of 3) efficient regeneration and conservation of energy. It enhances the driving experience and adds its own delights that often offsets the need for a manual transmission. Starting on uphills..no problem. Tired right leg on long trips...gone, aggravation in stop and go traffic...disappears, holding your brake on at every traffic signal...no more.

All in all, the experience of driving a Tesla is very satisfying. Another nail in the coffin of the previously well loved manual transmission.

A tough transition for many boy racers.

if I don't miss my guess about what kind of enthusiast you are, get a Model 3. Not because it makes financial sense but because it's the best driving car you can own right now in its class. It will be cheaper to operate but as you point out in your analysis, deprecation will probably blow that up several times over.

First one might suggest that instead of getting a long-range rear wheel drive or base AWD model, get a performance model - used if necessary to make it affordable. its performance will blow you away.

I came from a much loved Lexus IS 350, with a full coil over set up, Michelin Super Sports on wider forged wheels, exhaust and intake mods, and a bunch of other tweaks (but no one has cracked Toyotas encryption so no major engine modifications possible other than improving intake and exhaust restrictions). I just recently got back into it and thought "OMG– what happened to my sports sedan! I press the throttle and it oozes forwards while making a god-awful racket. The navigation screen has shrunk to iPhone size! And what do you mean there are no over the air updates! 0 to 60 in just under 5 seconds never felt so slow. Only in relationship to handling was it even close to the Model 3 performance version, and to think I almost canceled my order!

Fortunately a test drive intervened at the last moment this past Fall, and one 20 min. test drive (with multiple full throttle blastoffs with no wheelspin and no noise at all) convinced me that the model 3 performance version was the car for me.

And I have no regrets – indeed we loved it so much we got a second one. Even my technophobic wife admits that it's far and away the best car she's ever driven and that that it has spoiled her totally. And unlike any internal combustion engine car, the massive performance envelope is far more usable because it is so bloody quiet. Nobody except you and your passengers knows that you are accelerating at .85 G's.
20190119_105233.jpg

Not only are you getting the best sports sedan extant, you are also getting the safest car you can probably buy and drive at this point, and one that will only get better with time. There is of course the well documented difficulty Tesla is having with quality control, but they do eventually get stuff fixed even if it takes a little bit longer than you would like. if you can be patient with the inevitable hiccups, you will not look back with any nostalgia on your much loved Focus ST.

Plus it looks like the car Ferrari would've made if they made four door electric vehicles

Last edited:
  • Informative
Glamisduner, can you post a full size image of your car, as that is exactly the combination I am interested in! White over white with the 18 Aero wheels, with the covers removed. Or if you have seen other photos of that combination, please send me some links, as I have been striking out with Google.
Getting new wheels next weekend so I will post a picture in the titan 7 thread.
Photosync.jpg

Reactions: ChrisH