Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking About Selling Focus ST For a Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you implying that all Teslas end up being towed at some point?

I don't deal in absolutes. I'm sure there will be plenty of M3s that will be trouble-free. Add to that, I like the Focus ST, it has been a great car.

I do have some concerns though. From what I've read on this forum, and others is the time to repair the car can be quite lengthy, and I live 90-100 miles from the nearest service center.

The advantages of keeping the car outweigh the disadvantages. Of course, everyone's situation is different.

Do you have kids? I believe the 3 has a higher rating, with more mass than the Ford Focus ST3. This is what a head-on collision might look like in the Focus. The focus weighs about 3200-3400 lbs and the Model 3 3600-4100 lbs, with a much larger crumple zone than the Focus.

ford-focus-2738.jpg

Last edited:
An it looks like the Spyder and the ST3 are from another century based on their performance. Even the Lincoln MKZ Hybrid is a dog at
0-60 mph 9.3 | Quarter mile 17.0. I should know I have a 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid (same car), and its great ~40 MPG's, but gave it to my daughter for college (she loves it, because its a miser mobile)

Screen Shot 2019-03-31 at 3.54.48 PM.png

Wow - I stumbled upon this thread that I created almost exactly 1 year ago, so I figured that I would provide an update. First of all, I did end up selling my beloved Focus ST last June, and I also now own quite a bit of Tesla........stock. I also am driving an EV these days - One that I initially stumbled upon, as I discovered that it seemed to easily meet the majority of my needs. As time went buy, I really bonded with the car, and eventually performed a few modifications to make it mine. That said, I am extremely thrilled with my purchase, as it enabled me to get into a really fun and unique EV for less than I sold the Focus for! Without further adieu....
NfxRb2N1eP4JSJvMgiT6k3Fthi1vH2vac_Kl-H-fHIRPc1UUPAix9QfoNsNYiIS1Dum2t7OcFHCxopups6C-8dXUlI6VHEuFWxYMaK4OaHKgVSYMg8xe1iJ2eAymmqYhVKJHsn-cG6-JRh4jZeW1zFsuF6hVSKQe8zWwc3LGoso5KdJJ2YChMlbr6IrZjK6-zM6meg3mvv6r2BqlQYOiJEQe9UKfdWzFNAix5SUGQl0cYATU56e1m6RPhZBxjkZp53RcCQc1t-Cmtuzjqn2fBsGTVUDFmmEAN4_55RTSwt6Lzu77bvgd0N0DFTlhLixH4MweLe5FJmiHSVFApFxj0rxEnbANZgDFQM5p_J5p30-BqSXpUBQ5q0zsNIqeASWNwbbKZ8bE-K_IoQHHdmMHU0SMEj-TTAdjMl9enHGiPk7Fw3ma5c5a_0UYqy8PjkTBhu65C9MxbxY2FexrHnHPxcTBa0RvuwTcwIYmezQdRxUHKLMKgBVvxneTFWvMLKFtU79jos4f8nm2BcjzBS1DuKTjW58j7-CF11mRc3rT9D6maIImfqUk2I960LeUAUYLvx_995nC-GvQ_aQlfNIY_KgLORZ0NSsbOxoxPE1zO4RQndd0zHIlAQegkIXUFbJpS2eIgG3CT6WvPthKs5At3Hx7mZA-Zdls0bAGQwHMl1JobASYHBSRzpYuyCt9ueU=w628-h977-no

Yes - a 2016 Fiat 500e! Trust me - I am very well aware that it is not a Tesla, however, this car enabled me to dip my toes into the EV experience without spending a dime. In fact, I came out $3k ahead after selling my Focus, and I now have a car that costs much less to own and operate. I recently purchased a set of Fiat 500 Abarth wheels with new tires and TPMS through Craigslist, and the awesome owner threw in a complete OEM Abarth suspension to boot! Honestly, I couldn't be happier for the money!

I am still planning to purchase a Tesla, but a Model Y instead that will be my wife's primary car, while I plan to keep the Fiat 500e and Toyota MR2 in my stable!

Wow - I stumbled upon this thread that I created almost exactly 1 year ago, so I figured that I would provide an update. First of all, I did end up selling my beloved Focus ST last June, and I also now own quite a bit of Tesla........stock. I also am driving an EV these days - One that I initially stumbled upon, as I discovered that it seemed to easily meet the majority of my needs. As time went buy, I really bonded with the car, and eventually performed a few modifications to make it mine. That said, I am extremely thrilled with my purchase, as it enabled me to get into a really fun and unique EV for less than I sold the Focus for! Without further adieu....
NfxRb2N1eP4JSJvMgiT6k3Fthi1vH2vac_Kl-H-fHIRPc1UUPAix9QfoNsNYiIS1Dum2t7OcFHCxopups6C-8dXUlI6VHEuFWxYMaK4OaHKgVSYMg8xe1iJ2eAymmqYhVKJHsn-cG6-JRh4jZeW1zFsuF6hVSKQe8zWwc3LGoso5KdJJ2YChMlbr6IrZjK6-zM6meg3mvv6r2BqlQYOiJEQe9UKfdWzFNAix5SUGQl0cYATU56e1m6RPhZBxjkZp53RcCQc1t-Cmtuzjqn2fBsGTVUDFmmEAN4_55RTSwt6Lzu77bvgd0N0DFTlhLixH4MweLe5FJmiHSVFApFxj0rxEnbANZgDFQM5p_J5p30-BqSXpUBQ5q0zsNIqeASWNwbbKZ8bE-K_IoQHHdmMHU0SMEj-TTAdjMl9enHGiPk7Fw3ma5c5a_0UYqy8PjkTBhu65C9MxbxY2FexrHnHPxcTBa0RvuwTcwIYmezQdRxUHKLMKgBVvxneTFWvMLKFtU79jos4f8nm2BcjzBS1DuKTjW58j7-CF11mRc3rT9D6maIImfqUk2I960LeUAUYLvx_995nC-GvQ_aQlfNIY_KgLORZ0NSsbOxoxPE1zO4RQndd0zHIlAQegkIXUFbJpS2eIgG3CT6WvPthKs5At3Hx7mZA-Zdls0bAGQwHMl1JobASYHBSRzpYuyCt9ueU=w628-h977-no

Yes - a 2016 Fiat 500e! Trust me - I am very well aware that it is not a Tesla, however, this car enabled me to dip my toes into the EV experience without spending a dime. In fact, I came out $3k ahead after selling my Focus, and I now have a car that costs much less to own and operate. I recently purchased a set of Fiat 500 Abarth wheels with new tires and TPMS through Craigslist, and the awesome owner threw in a complete OEM Abarth suspension to boot! Honestly, I couldn't be happier for the money!

I am still planning to purchase a Tesla, but a Model Y instead that will be my wife's primary car, while I plan to keep the Fiat 500e and Toyota MR2 in my stable!
Just saw this.

Ive driven a bunch of the gas and arbarth Fiats. you'll be very very happy once you get a Tesla.

Plus the driving position on those Fiats is terrible

I had ST which I got rid of for an RS which I got rid of for the LR RWD Model 3. The Model 3 is the superior daily driver. However, handling and engagement is better in the other 2, something to think about.

The Model 3 has no turbo lag, IC heatsoak, etc etc it will always be responsive when you want it to be. Get a set of coilovers and handling will be on par if not better.

I will say I miss shifting at times, keep the ST and just get a Model 3 when you are ready. It will always be there, STs are gone forever and will be a car that everyone looks for in the future