TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Thinking about selling my baby 1276. Feedback please

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by bart513, Aug 11, 2017.

1. bart513

bart513 Active Member

Dear Roadster Friends,
    Like many before me I find myself in a small existential crisis owning an amazing Roadster and a MS which is my daily driver. On the one hand I don't drive the Roadster as much as I would like. On the other hand there is nothing like driving so low down, feel of the road, contained yet free feel and head slamming back giddiness like a teenage kid! We all take such good care of our babies (much more than my MS) and develop a very close relationship. Practicality wise I drive my MS daily and 90% of the time. Wife says "Why do you need to own 2 Tesla's?" I respond "There are people that own 3!" Which goes over like a lead balloon... If I were to sell where do I price it? Oy!
    Feedback please?
    Thx so much

2. gregd

gregd Active Member

Hi Bart,

Read what you have written. It's clear to me from your words that you need the car, even if it's not your daily driver. It doesn't have to be, to be valuable to you. Unless you have to sell it (money, space, whatever), why sell? It gives you pleasure. Keep it, and enjoy it.

Greg

3. Roadster

Roadster Member

This is a public service announcement from your fellow Roadster brethren...

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  4. bart513

bart513 Active Member

5. ion_1

ion_1 Member

At this point depreciation is minimal, there is a potential for some appreciation, it makes you happy and helps spread the EV message in your town. Unless you need to liquidate for cash, what is the upside to selling besides garage space?

The way you described the roadster sounds like you want to buy another, not get rid of the one you have!

6. Rotarypower

Rotarypower Member

Life is short, keep your toy, you deserve it! And....you need to drive it more often. Your roadster is an amazing car....it needs to be driven!

7. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Speaking from the perspective of someone who recently sold ... I can tell you (and thanks @markwj for the advice) that your baby WANTS to be driven and in the public eye. If you let 1276 go to a new owner, there will be new people converted to driving electric. That's what Roadsters do.

I will always be a Roadster owner, it's just that Baby Turtle is out on the road enjoying the hills and the sunshine with someone else now. If you sell, find someone who you know will love the car. It makes it much easier.

• Helpful x 2
    • Like x 1
  8. bart513

bart513 Active Member

This forum is helpful and filled with love. I'm not needing to sell it for the money but rather hate knowing it's not getting the same use. It's being loved and cared for. I know Bonnie you recently sold and I agree it would have to go to the right home. @Rotarypower and @ion_1 are spot on. I have a weekly commute of 140 miles each way and am split between NY and NJ which also complicates things.

9. walla2

walla2 Member

You'll just have to buy another one that has appreciated or a more expensive plaid version in a few years to replace it. If you already have an awesome Roadster, you won't need another. A 2.5 in Twilight is a beautiful sight, and it'll be fun for decades to come. Plan for that future not your current schedule.

10. bart513

bart513 Active Member

Very persuasive argument

11. pharma5

pharma5 Roadster F#25

Don't do it!:eek:

Seriously though, it sounds like you still enjoy the car and have no pressing reason to sell it. If you're not driving it enough, then drive it more. Weekends still count.:D

12. bart513

bart513 Active Member

@pharma5 I know how biased you are!! I do enjoy driving the car for sure. It's so unique in so many ways. I think the SC changing out the PEM has been good for the battery health as well? How would I expect this group to tell me to do anything other than keep my baby?? Should've known

13. shrink

shrink Supporting Member

We somehow have 3 Teslas in our household - 2 "classic" Model S's and a Roadster. I do love the Roadster, but it's just not the most practical car. We all here know the reasons quite well - challenging ingress/egress; cramped cabin; little storage space; poor visibility; no supercharging; no AP. P100D's (S and X) are faster. Maintaining the car is also challenging with parts constraints and fewer knowledgable Roadster techs.

I've thought about selling - in fact, last week was my 4-year anniversary of Roadster (and Tesla) ownership. My decision and position may change in the future - and while I do have a big remodeling project at home that selling the Roadster would fully finance and then some - I've decided I love this car too much and would regret selling it dearly. I actually dropped more money into the Roadster this weekend with a new coating of Opticoat Pro Plus (it looks fantastic by the way and I smiled the whole 25 mile ride home from the detailer).

I completely understand and can relate to your sentiment and thoughts about selling. For me personally, I'm decided to drive it less, but enjoy it and maintain it the best I can. If the maintenance becomes too costly or too much of a hassle one day - or if there is a financial need - I'll probably list for sale. But for now I'm going to enjoy my Roadster as long as I can.

Whatever you do, sounds like you'll be sure your Roadster has a great home - whether it's yours or an enthusiastic new owner.

Good luck!

• Love x 1
  14. pharma5

pharma5 Roadster F#25

Subconsciously, you sought out the feedback you needed.;)

Humor and bias aside, I can understand anyone thinking about it for all the reasons that you and @shrink mentioned. I think about those time to time as well, esp with S, X, and now 3 on the road.