Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about selling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the current market, for the past couple weeks I’ve been thinking about selling my Y. Been wanting to get another MY with a 7 seater. I was really disappointed when my SA told me that the 7 seater were not coming out anytime soon. Only for Tesla to release it 3-4 weeks after I took delivery.

So I did an online quick cash offer from carmax, carvana, and vroom couple days ago. Vroom is the only place that got back to me so far, and they offered me a really good number for my MY. More than I was expecting. I’m still waiting for Carmax and Carvana to see what they offer me. Also thinking about doing a Tesla trade in.

Has anyone sold their Tesla thru Vroom? How good are they at honoring the offer amount? Also how do they handle payment when you still have a lien on the car?

Last edited:
Carvana and Vroom typically give you high estimates just to get you hooked.
They typically find ways to bring down their offers.
I've sold to Carmax and they (at least in my experience) make the best (and true) offers.
What they offer is what they will pay - no more, no less.
I recently sold my Corvette to AutoBuy who claim to pay the max. Maybe there is one close to you.
They made it super-easy. They sent me my payment via check over the computer, before they even
picked up the car. Very good experience.
Good luck.

I would also check some of the bigger car dealerships as well. Especially if you have a non-Tesla trade. Take your BMW to a BMW dealer and shop it after you've gone to Carmax or some other one with a firm offer. For my Acura, the Acura dealer offered me 2k more than Carmax who was right next door to them. I was able to bump the Acura dealer a bit more and came out way ahead compared to Carvana, Vroom, etc.

Reactions: turbospecc
With the current market, for the past couple weeks I’ve been thinking about selling my Y. Been wanting to get another MY with a 7 seater. I was really disappointed when my SA told me that the 7 seater were not coming out anytime soon. Only for Tesla to release it 3-4 weeks after I took delivery.

So I did an online quick cash offer from carmax, carvana, and vroom couple days ago. Vroom is the only place that got back to me so far, and they offered me a really good number for my MY. More than I was expecting. I’m still waiting for Carmax and Carvana to see what they offer me. Also thinking about doing a Tesla trade in.

Has anyone sold their Tesla thru Vroom? How good are they at honoring the offer amount? Also how do they handle payment when you still have a lien on the car?
What were you offered from Vroom? What was your MSRP?

Last edited:
Reactions: whisperingshad
Bearded Tesla guy has 38k miles on a one year old car. If I was a private consumer, I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole.
I am with you on that. I have seen too much of what that car has been through. Just like I didn't want to know my wife's past so to speak in certain areas and I know she sure as heck didn't want to know mine. I know more about that car than I'd want to know and more than enough to stay away.

At the same time, it is a pretty good testament to how much a model Y can endure so a great commercial for the car.

• Funny
Reactions: alexcue
Vroom offered me a good price for my BMW X5 and I sold it to them. Transaction went smoothly and they stood by their offer price. They sent me a bank check in the mail after they picked up the vehicle.
Same. Sold my Jeep Grand Cherokee through Vroom. They were a little slow but honored the original quote. Everything was smooooooth and easy.
Vroom beat out everyone else by $2400.

Reactions: zpaul
Carvana and Vroom typically give you high estimates just to get you hooked.
They typically find ways to bring down their offers.
Not true in my experience. Vroom gave me exactly what they quoted, no questions asked. We are in a time of rising used car values though, I’m sure that didn’t hurt. Their quote was $2400 higher than the next highest offer.

Reactions: zpaul
Vroom could have been a great option but even after a week, they couldn't figure out the payoff amount. I gave them all the info they needed and still moved like turtles. I paid off the car to make it even easier for them. At the end of a 3 week span, it still wasn't finalized, no truck on the way, etc. and I gave up and went with someone else. It isn't like I live in the middle of nowhere and they would have difficulty picking up my car.

Their quote was good but I would never consider them again if I was in a hurry.

Sold to Carvana 2 vehicles over the past 2 years. Experience was awesome. They always beat every other place in my area including Carmax and Vroom.
Last car I sold required only Speedo photo and that’s it. They gave me the price which I agreed to, I picked the day for them to show up at my house, provided bank info, next day after pick up the money was there. No need to play dealers games.

Reactions: Zhe Wiz