Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about switching to a Performance 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wanted to get some insight from the S group (rather than the 3 group). Have a 17 S 75D, HW 2.0, MCU1, enhanced autopilot. While the car is one of the most technologically advanced cars on the road, in the Tesla lineup it's showing its age. No sentry or dash cam, older screen, no autopilot visualizations. I could solve that problem for $7500 ($2500 for MCU2 plus $5000k for FSD to get HW 3.0) but it feels to me that money is better spent improving my range and 0-60 time and getting a car that is more my preferred size. The S has always felt a little like a boat to me.

Thoughts from this group on the switch?

Not commenting directly on the decision, but you only need to spend $2500 to get MCU2 AND HW3. The infotainment upgrade comes with HW3 even if you haven’t bought FSD, and all the useful stuff is in the EAP package you already have.

MCU2 will get you dashcam, proper sentry, and all the other good MCU stuff.

• Helpful
Reactions: AllThingsT
Not commenting directly on the decision, but you only need to spend $2500 to get MCU2 AND HW3. The infotainment upgrade comes with HW3 even if you haven’t bought FSD, and all the useful stuff is in the EAP package you already have.

MCU2 will get you dashcam, proper sentry, and all the other good MCU stuff.

I did not know that. I thought I had to get FSD too. Appreciate the clarification on that

I went from an S (2015 P90DL) to a 3 (P3D+) almost two years ago.

I too prefer smaller cars (easier to park and wash, more efficient, etc). Plus the 3's handling is much sharper, which I like. I prefer the 3 for most trips around town.

But as soon as I have to haul something, or go on a longer drive, I miss the S - double the cargo space, a big hatch, better ride, and better autopilot controls.

So maybe it depends on what type of driving you do most...

Here is a thread that goes in to more details on the differences between the cars: Which Tesla should you buy? A decade-long comparo: Roadster, S, X, 3

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
Just read every word of that thread. Thanks for the smart and engaging post. For me the main driver is what you called small car driving dynamics. The S is large and I don't need the space. I also don't have the air suspension so the ride quality won't be that different. I have test driven a 3 a few times and it has always felt more fun to drive than my S.

Have you considered the PY then? Smaller than S, handles close to a 3, great 0-60 , newest tech and solves your cargo room issue.
The Y is apparently more solidly built than the 3 in terms of frame welds. Every new car design receives the latest.

I’m considering it once I’m done my S lease by 2022.

I've just done this - went from a 2017 Model S P100D to a Model 3 Performance

It's... different. Not necessarily worse, but very very different. Here's my initial impressions after a week.

1. I The 3 feels a bit more like a toy car. It's smaller, and the centre screen is weirdly tiny.
  2. I don't like how the indicators don't actually click and stay in position when you indicate left/right. Seems weird.
  3. I took a wrong turn back from the service centre because the navigation is super different. I loved having the nav in the IC - just glance down and you see that cool 3D view of the road and it's right there... having to properly look over to the main google maps screen feels quite awkward to me
  4. It's fast... the P100D was insane, of course, but the Model 3P is about as responsive in daily driving
  5. Using the drive stalk for autopilot is also quite weird... it's less "seamless" than the dedicated little stick you get in the S
  6. I will miss my free supercharging, though I never really used it
  7. I will miss having free premium connectivity for life
  8. Autopilot is much better on the 3 than the P.
  9. The size is much more suited to the city I live in.
  10. It's actually quieter (road-noise) wise than the 2017 S and smoother.
  11. The boot is weird. I miss not having the powered boot and the huge hatch and parcel shelf and so on.
  12. The door handles are a bit weird. Initial impression is that people can't figure them out and you do have to show them,
  13. The phone key is less reliable than the fob. The "walkaway lock" feature was something I never worried about in my S, but already the 3 has failed to lock on me. Check your car, manually lock it, or get the fob
  14. I didn't get the FSD package. It makes no sense in the UK.
  15. The interior finish is so, so spartan. Really basic, nothing much to talk about there.
  16. It is much smaller, which is generally a good thing.

The Model 3P was 1/3rd the price of the P100D (when originally bought). You can definitely tell.

Biggest thing for me is that I miss having that instrument cluster display for navigation and "stuff".

If I were you, if money isn't much of an issue... I'd update the AP computer and the MCU, and stick with the S. Or, get a new S.They've also got a lot cheaper and better since 2017. If I were doing this over, I'd go for a long range S.

Personal choice. To me, the S bodystyle still hold up well and I still get a lot of compliments on it. Especially with the 21" Arachnids and red painted calipers. It has that sleek fastback look that is popular now (8 series BMW, Audi S7, Jags, etc). I personally couldnt step down to a 3 for many of the reasons stated above in the prior post

I've just done this - went from a 2017 Model S P100D to a Model 3 Performance

It's... different. Not necessarily worse, but very very different. Here's my initial impressions after a week.

1. I The 3 feels a bit more like a toy car. It's smaller, and the centre screen is weirdly tiny.
  2. I don't like how the indicators don't actually click and stay in position when you indicate left/right. Seems weird.
  3. I took a wrong turn back from the service centre because the navigation is super different. I loved having the nav in the IC - just glance down and you see that cool 3D view of the road and it's right there... having to properly look over to the main google maps screen feels quite awkward to me
  4. It's fast... the P100D was insane, of course, but the Model 3P is about as responsive in daily driving
  5. Using the drive stalk for autopilot is also quite weird... it's less "seamless" than the dedicated little stick you get in the S
  6. I will miss my free supercharging, though I never really used it
  7. I will miss having free premium connectivity for life
  8. Autopilot is much better on the 3 than the P.
  9. The size is much more suited to the city I live in.
  10. It's actually quieter (road-noise) wise than the 2017 S and smoother.
  11. The boot is weird. I miss not having the powered boot and the huge hatch and parcel shelf and so on.
  12. The door handles are a bit weird. Initial impression is that people can't figure them out and you do have to show them,
  13. The phone key is less reliable than the fob. The "walkaway lock" feature was something I never worried about in my S, but already the 3 has failed to lock on me. Check your car, manually lock it, or get the fob
  14. I didn't get the FSD package. It makes no sense in the UK.
  15. The interior finish is so, so spartan. Really basic, nothing much to talk about there.
  16. It is much smaller, which is generally a good thing.

The Model 3P was 1/3rd the price of the P100D (when originally bought). You can definitely tell.

Biggest thing for me is that I miss having that instrument cluster display for navigation and "stuff".

If I were you, if money isn't much of an issue... I'd update the AP computer and the MCU, and stick with the S. Or, get a new S.They've also got a lot cheaper and better since 2017. If I were doing this over, I'd go for a long range S.

Thanks for this post. I have both a CPO 2017 P100d and a 2018 M3P deposited for (long story). I just sold a Sig P85 S and was just going for the M3P then a P100d popped up. The S is 50% more price wise than the 3; almost all other features are equal. I always thought of myself of a S driver, but the M3P always struck me as a fun car. But to have Ludicrous.....;)

Obviously I need to figure this out soon, but would also like to hear other’s opinions and thought process. Thanks!

My wife has a P3, and I have the 90D S. I really struggle with the two - I love my S for the size and comfort, but I love her 3 Performance for the agility, handling, and MCU2. Honestly, it's a tough decision. They're both great cars, and I find myself trying to limit my exposure to the 3 due to the fact that I just like it that much and don't want to fall out of love with my S. Small/Sporty/Agile vs. Big/Fast/Comfortable. Two totally different cars.

Just echoing what has been mentioned before -- that it's a personal choice. I had to have a Tesla after test driving a friend's Model 3 Dual Motor. I thought the non-P 3 was a phenomenal car and value, but immediately knew it wasn't the right Tesla for me and considered either an S or X. I have always been a full-size car type of guy (Tundra, Sequoia, Sienna, Lexus LS 430/LS 460). I just need more space to be comfortable despite being 5'9". I don't like how my elbow bangs on the glass or door of smaller cars and really enjoy the extra shoulder room of the S. The 3 is a fun go kart but for my daily driving I really appreciate the larger space and air suspension on the S and the size doesn't bother me because I'm accustomed to driving cars of similar dimension. I think the 3 interior is well-done but I really prefer the two displays on the S/X.