Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about tint, concerned about visibility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tesla11.jpg

Non at all. I wanted to have good night vision as I drive on some unlit roads (plus older eyes). That’s specifically why I used the 45% on the sides and nothing on the back. Really glad I left the back alone. Here are a Shot of the 45%. Keep in mind it’s Photosync not Xpel so the color/tint look will vary:

View attachment 415288

That 45% looks dark. Nice. I ended up going with 50%/35% like above

Reactions: 03DSG
Our X has the variance so it looked really normal to us. I tried to stay within CA law too :)
CA Law is 70% on the 2 fronts. You can go as dark as you want in the rear. Great thing about Ceramic tint is that you can cover the entire car in 70% (which is almost clear) and you still get the heat rejection and performance of the material. Going dark with Ceramic is more aesthetics than anything.

My personal Vehicle has 70% Windshield, 50% sides and rear. (black interior) The 50% is very light and have no problems seeing at nightime. I forget that I have tint on my windshield other than the fact that Crystalline blocks so much heat and I notice it in my cabin temps. Sometimes I wish went to 40% on the sides and rear for that "cooler" look but I'm overall happy with the 50% and it performs well. My usual comment is that if you have a white interior, 35-40% will LOOK like 50% from the outside because that interior is so bright. 50% on a white interior will look like 70% from the outside.

-Kevin

Tints are the inverse of the % so rear is darker than sides. 35% is a fairly dark tint.

The angle of the pic is weird. When in the sun at certain angles the tints will look a lot lighter. In the shade it looks very much like 50%.

The “some” UV in the back only goes about halfway down. After the tint all the way to the bottom I can barely feel any ambient heat back there. The kids are 3 and 5 but their car seats will get hot when parked in the sun. So far it’s a vast improvement over OEM tint.

True, but I feel with the Suntek ceramic I’m getting both. I also wanted to block the bright sun coming in the rear windows on long trips back and forth between the Bay and Tahoe.

yes, agree. that is what I was talking about. After I tinted all around (except for windshield), it was a lot more comfortable in this high elevation 100 degree desert heat.

FYI, UV != IR (infrared) heat. They are two very different things and are on opposite sides of the spectrum.(Temperature does not determine risk: infrared versus ultraviolet radiation - MyUV)

Based on research, it also appears that the entire glass is UV protected even in the "untinted" part. glass roof - production change (July 2018)? So even though you feel the heat, you are still protected from UV rays. That being said I'm sure having less heat is nice as well.

• Disagree
Reactions: Silicon Desert
So I want to know why some people disagree. I don't disagree that additional tint helps with heat and provides additional UV protection, I disagree that the glass (specifically untinted part) does not block UV.

I'm willing to be corrected, but in the research I've done about the whole glass change my understanding is that the appearance was changed but the characteristics (which for Tesla includes UV blocking) did not. You're going to still heat back there of course.

I've looked around and at least when the back glass color was changed everyone called it as if Tesla removed the UV protection, but that didn't make sense especially since originally the whole back glass changed color under rain, otherwise the roof would be leaking a lot of UV rays even through the "dark part".

I'm amazed that people go with 50% tint. Is that to keep the car cool, window tint laws, privacy or some other reason?

The laws here say 35% / 20% are the limits and I like the 20% all around. My last three cars have been 15% that I got a ticket and won in court, 5% (that l took off after two weeks) and then 20% that is just right.

Reactions: TyH2009
Law in Illinois is 35% all around (nothing on windshield) for sedans. I chose 50% on the fronts because of visibility issues at night being reported with sub 35% tint and a move to Ohio is in the near future which only allows 50% tint on the front windows

UPDATE:

I realized I hadn’t driven at night since tinting the back window at 35%. I wouldn’t recommend this if you’re worried about nighttime driving. I learned just how many idiot drivers don’t use their headlights at night but leave the DRL on, completely oblivious. Those cars were difficult to see in the rear view mirror.

UPDATE:

I realized I hadn’t driven at night since tinting the back window at 35%. I wouldn’t recommend this if you’re worried about nighttime driving. I learned just how many idiot drivers don’t use their headlights at night but leave the DRL on, completely oblivious. Those cars were difficult to see in the rear view mirror.

try installing an aftermarket rear view mirror. apparently the auto-dimming + tint = difficult visibility for some. kind of wish Tesla had an option to turn off dimming

I'm amazed that people go with 50% tint. Is that to keep the car cool, window tint laws, privacy or some other reason?

The laws here say 35% / 20% are the limits and I like the 20% all around. My last three cars have been 15% that I got a ticket and won in court, 5% (that l took off after two weeks) and then 20% that is just right.

Everyone is different I guess. I actually had 45% originally, and for some reason I had trouble seeing at night, or at least it felt that way (could have been more of the auto-dimming being too strong); maybe my vision at night isn't as good as I thought. Either way I went to 70% (though the spec sheet for XPEL XR Plus says it's actually 67% VLT), and I feel a lot better at night. Don't mind less privacy, and as a small bonus the tinted part of the back glass doesn't seem overly tinted anymore and looks better to me.

The beauty of today's high-end tint is that even the very light shades can block out a good chunk of heat.

UPDATE:

Whew, I'd die with 35% on the rear, I have to do at least 18% or I get blinded by headlights.

I've had cars with 18-20% on the rearview since I've been 16 (half my life), so it doesn't bother me in the least with night visibility.

Reactions: logan