Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about tinting the windows but leaving out the rear panel.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently received a quote for window tinting and discussed several options with the installer.

Option #1 Tint all side windows and use one piece to cover the most rear portion of the rear glass to the farthest defroster line.

Option #2 Tint all side windows and use larger piece to cover the entire rear glass. (+$200)

Option #3 Tint all side windows and leave out the rear glass. (The installer recommended against this)

I read a prior thread that highly recommended option #2 because of a noticeable line with option #1.

My question for the group is: Would option #3 really look that strange. I usually get my vehicles tinted, but sometimes have trouble seeing out the back in my rear view mirror at nighttime despite an only 35% tint. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

• Disagree
Reactions: peteyswift
I was set on getting the back window done until the installer wanted $500 for that window. I ended up tinting the windows but not the back. It really doesn't bother me and I can barely tell the difference. You can always go back and get it done if it bothers you that much.

If you have problems seeing out the back at night maybe leaving as is will help. Or turn your rear camera on which I sometimes do.

Sorry for the bad picture - black with tint all around, silver with just windows.

Attachments

• 20180823_065538.jpg
    20180823_065538.jpg
    443.5 KB · Views: 1,590
What % is the factory tint on the top of the back window?

I really am concerned about a one piece back window tint only because I don't want to make it darker on the factory tinted section.

What's the issue with matching the tint and bringing it right up to it (or slight overlap)?

What % is the factory tint on the top of the back window?

I really am concerned about a one piece back window tint only because I don't want to make it darker on the factory tinted section.

What's the issue with matching the tint and bringing it right up to it (or slight overlap)?

If you don't do the entire panel you will see a definite line where you stop the tint. You usually only see the line from the inside. I have seen a few images on this forum of people who have only done a partial back tint and almost all of them have ripped it off because it looked bad.

I hopped between cars with a back 30% tint and without - in the middle of the day it was not too dark, but i do not know about the night. Rear visibility at night is kinda weird in our cars anyways because of the high trunk lip.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dre78
It sounds like your main concern is visibility, especially at night. So if even with 35% you're having issues seeing then don't tint the back. However, if privacy during the day and heat rejection are important to you, you'll have to sacrifice both of those for visibility.

If you don't do the entire panel you will see a definite line where you stop the tint. You usually only see the line from the inside. I have seen a few images on this forum of people who have only done a partial back tint and almost all of them have ripped it off because it looked bad.

I hopped between cars with a back 30% tint and without - in the middle of the day it was not too dark, but i do not know about the night. Rear visibility at night is kinda weird in our cars anyways because of the high trunk lip.
My assumption is that if it's the same tint level as the top, there may be a subtle line, but I can live with that.

I’m going 35 on the sides and 50 on the back. Most likely 3M color stable. Front windshield 70 with a higher end clearer film. Still haven’t decided which yet.
You are killing me as I am getting jealous of your spec. Holding back my urge to drop $80k now, saving for roadster

I have color stable 20 all around. Still have windshield to do in 50. Mind the sticker, that was just for filming.
Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 11.07.00 AM.png

Reactions: KeyFobsRule
I personally think option 3 would look very strange.

I suppose you could try it and always add the rear glass later if you agree that it looks strange.

It is not going to look very strange, because once you for the 4 windows tinted, both the windshield and back window will look darker too even without any tint. Although adding $200 to tint the whole back window does not sound too bad. I had to pay $900 to tint the X's windshield alone.

I saw a blue Model 3 yesterday with 20% on sides and no tint on back. It looked awesome. I believe a police officer would be less likely to give you a ticket since they could see in through the lower section of back. Visibility is good front and back.

Also, the rear glass has blue tint on top also. If you tint the entire thing, it will make the blue look black and mismatch with your front glagl section.

Save almost half the cost of the tint job and skip the back. That is what we are doing.

IMG_20181124_091502.jpg
IMG_20181205_162356.jpg
I considered not tinting the back window because of extra cost etc. but now I think it's the most important piece to tint for looks...I hated that black border (like the bezel on a TV screen) going around the back window without the tint.

Pictured is 35% full back and sides MaxPro (ceramic)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MarkinArch