Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about upgrading to Performance. Change my mind.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test drove a P3D+ and now I'm hooked.

ordered 6/29/2018
reservation 5/22/17

I have on order:
white 3D
FSD
Sport Wheels
White Interior.

I was thinking about ditching FSD, and possibly autopilot. Removing the sport wheels and going for a P model.
The cost of upgrading to P model is 11k more because I ordered the AWD before the $1000 price hike. So It's a good deal on my AWD that I have on order.

However, if I ditch FSD and the wheels, thats $4500, so for $6500 more I can have a car that's performance rivals many supercars. Crazy! Seems like a no brainier except that, it's a bit more than I have budgeted to spend, and I recently found out our house needs new pipes (Maybe line the old cast iron pipes). Maybe I can use my tax refund to fix them instead of getting a new driveway.

I don't want to list my salary, but car to salary ratio is getting up there, SDG&E is slapping us with insane power bills too making me rethink the whole electric car thing (gas may well be cheaper). However I'm also planning to put down over 30k on the car,and have 2 vehicles to sell. (trying to sell my truck right now, then the volt once I get the tesla).

Wife approves of the change as long as I don't remove EAP. (but I can always add it later right?).

Would changing to a P model delay my delivery? The AWD queue seems to still be working on line waiters. So I have another year and 1/2 of orders to go.

So whats holding me back?
1) Price is more than I wanted to spend unless I remove EAP (then it's only $1500 more for performance than what I have ordered).
2) My AWD is $1000 less than new AWD orders (so it's a good deal).
3) My truck isn't sold yet which would cover the difference.

Thanks!

If you like the feel of the performance then I doubt you will really be happy without it. Does your power company offer TOU rates? If so that might be a big considering, nighttime charging is generally very cheap compared to peak energy cost.

Changing it to P might actually push your delivery earlier. I reserved in January, ordered June 28th, delivered 8/18. I ditched EAP myself. I can always add it on and I can't easily add on power.

Reactions: Glamisduner
If you like the feel of the performance then I doubt you will really be happy without it. Does your power company offer TOU rates? If so that might be a big considering, nighttime charging is generally very cheap compared to peak energy cost.

Changing it to P might actually push your delivery earlier. I reserved in January, ordered June 28th, delivered 8/18. I ditched EAP myself. I can always add it on and I can't easily add on power.
Yea, I will HAVE to switch to TOU when I get the car, right now it looks like it would not benefit me as peak usage will double in price for a large part of the year my NEM1 usage credits keep things in check. But my current estimated bill is already over $1700 per year + my solar loan of $3000 in payments. The power squeeze is all over the news here, popping up on nextdoor etc due to recent heat wave. Power last month was $350 + $250 on my solar loan, we have 32 panels but ran the AC allot (several days were 115 degress outside).
SDG&E customers outraged over summertime high usage charges
TOU will be required for the tesla, but they can simply change their mind at any point in time and screw us all over again if they want to.

Anyways, ditching EAP seems like removing 1/2 the point of owning a tesla. my commute is 82 miles per day (or more) so I use cruise control every day on my volt. I mean I will still have CC just not TACC so I guess that would be ok? Performance can't be upgraded later..

The AWD is a really fast car in its own right. Performance is clearly right for you if you want to drive on the track, but for road use, how often do you think you would push it beyond the limits of the AWD? Dropping a feature like EAP that you would plan on using every day in favor of one you might use seldom or never wouldn’t seem like a great idea to me. I wouldn’t pay for P unless I really planned on using it, and using it often.

So, I think in summary: Buy the car that works for how you will actually use it. Let that govern your decision.

Agree

Use a referral code and get free super charging for your Performance 3 (myself as well as like everyone here will offer you one :) )

Misc:
Go Solar California

Where do I put that in? I mean I already placed my AWD order so I'm not sure I can get that perk.

The AWD is a really fast car in its own right. Performance is clearly right for you if you want to drive on the track, but for road use, how often do you think you would push it beyond the limits of the AWD? Dropping a feature like EAP that you would plan on using every day in favor of one you might use seldom or never wouldn’t seem like a great idea to me. I wouldn’t pay for P unless I really planned on using it, and using it often.

So, I think in summary: Buy the car that works for how you will actually use it. Let that govern your decision.
I'd use it everytime I accelerate to 60 hah. Ok well maybe not everytime but it sure would put a smile on my face when I punch it.

I probably won't track the car, I won't be adding the performance package due this this. Plus I kinda like the sleeper look.

You'll be happy either way, but at least autopilot can be added later if you go with 3P. I'd only go AWD+Autopilot if you do a ton heavy traffic commuting.

I've only had it one day, but the P+ has been a blast. My wife didn't want to like the car (bitter over cost heh), but she changed her tune once she got to drive. I was surprised to see her like it so much. I drive out of necessity, not joy, until now. Honestly after over 20 yrs of driving this is the first time a car has made me feel like a kid again; and I've driven some nice (and fast) cars.

A lot of people buy performance-oriented cars without all of the creature comfort boxes checked. The point of getting a car like that is that you're buying the drivability and performance first, and then everything else second. My dad has a 2018 GT350 that has horrendous fit and finish issues for a $70k car but drives and sounds like a monster.

However, the Model 3 is a little different. You'll be sacrificing a lot of what defines a Tesla for ~1s faster 0-60. Plus, short of getting the Performance Upgrades Package, the car will look like any other Model 3 on the road (for better or for worse). Other car companies spend a lot of time making their performance version cars feel special. You'll have to decide whether or not you want to own a street demon (P) or a sporty, practical commuter that is still really quick (3D).

On the other hand, ~1s faster 0-60 is immediately noticeable- I've driven a P3D too. From launching out of a stoplight to just plain freeway hooning, it doesn't matter. You'll murder 98% of cars out there today and for an appreciable amount of time after today too. Just keep in mind the added cost of EAP/FSD post-delivery (and increased electric costs since you'll be flooring it for absolutely no reason at all) and judge whether or not those are worthy sacrifices for this ability.

I've been up, down, and sideways with my decision too, but ultimately it was pragmatism that won me over. M3D -> P3D -> M3D, all about one month apart. I probably would've taken delivery already if I didn't change my mind so much.

I test drove a P3D+ and now I'm hooked....Wife approves...

Well kiss that extra $11,000 goodbye, then. ;)

Although have you had a chance to test drive the AWD?

P.S. I'm a 01/Apr/2016, ordered 20 minutes after the system opened for everyone, and I have my VIN. Just working out a couple the financing details (actually wasn't expecting it this soon, so caught me by surprise while on holidays 5 timezones away) and it'll be on the truck headed my way with a tentative delivery date.

Last edited:
That's not allot of time to sell my truck!

Get to selling mister..! It was unbelievable CarMax offered me more than what private party was for some of my vehicles.

Moral of story. Sell to Carmax but don't buy from them. :D

Good luck.. hope you find peace in any decision you make. Feel free to ask any P questions.

If you do go P, it also sounds like you should NOT go with the performance upgrade package. It's 5K that you can save.

We are not your therapist ... but it looks like you might have other more urgent needs than going all of 1.5 sec faster

@Glamisduner Don't mind the Tesla bear with the slow car. ^^^^

As for the pipes, run Pex. Lining is just a temporary patch that will give you more grief later.

Can't get a loan cheaply to redo pipes. But you can extend loan terms on the car and pay down principle faster as resources come up.

• Disagree
Reactions: Trevor B
If you can make it work with your budget, go for it. But it sounds like you've got a few other expenses coming up, so maybe it's not in the cards?

I considered changing to AWD, but my VIN was assigned on the day I planned to call in... Darn.

With that said, I've thoroughly enjoyed the past 2.5 weeks with my P3D+, and wouldn't have it any other way. So, if your budget can swing it, do it. If not, I'm sure the AWD will be fun.

And let me add the fuel to it. Let us all help the OP get P3D. No logic needed!

Don't forget you also get a FREE unlimited supercharging(FUSC) FOR LIFE of the car, if you go with P by September 15th.

I am gonna bet the FUSC will be gone after this, seeing even S & X will only get 1 year. My fingers are crossed that 2020 Roadster may get FUSC as the last train.