Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of buying a M3P or a classic Mercedes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear all,

This forum is a great resource!
Anyway a bit of background. I live in London and practically all my life I have owned pre 1990 Mercedes. So w124, w201.

I really love the build quality and solidity of these cars compared to anything newer. Plus the ride comfort is great.

Just before the lockdown I went for a test drive in a M3P. In the 40 mins I had it the drive was impressive but I was left a bit disappointed with the build and materials used and overall fit and finish.

I realise that EVs are the future. But at the rate of technological advancement I fear that evs will get out of date very quickly to be replaced by another more advanced ev.

Im torn between getting a 1990 w126 s class and a M3P. I know this is like comparing apples to oranges, but has anyone ever gone from classic car ownership to Tesla ownership and not regretted it?

cheers!

I don't see why you can't love both the classic cars and the the new electric vehicles. I suppose it's just a matter of resources! As you say it's apples and oranges. Interestingly electric cars seem to be to doing reasonably well in the longevity stakes. It's not like the early days of home computers when the tech could be out of date within a year. In that respect the Tesla stands head and shoulders above the rest because it is being constantly updated with "over the air" software changes. Rather than deteriorated my car is actually better than when I bought it! It has more power, it Supercharges faster, it has more power regeneration options, it has more security options via it's multiple cameras etc etc

I don't see why you can't love both the classic cars and the the new electric vehicles. I suppose it's just a matter of resources! As you say it's apples and oranges. Interestingly electric cars seem to be to doing reasonably well in the longevity stakes. It's not like the early days of home computers when the tech could be out of date within a year. In that respect the Tesla stands head and shoulders above the rest because it is being constantly updated with "over the air" software changes. Rather than deteriorated my car is actually better than when I bought it! It has more power, it Supercharges faster, it has more power regeneration options, it has more security options via it's multiple cameras etc etc

How do you find the build quality and the after sales service?
I’m just concerned that dropping such a huge sum on a car then not getting the aftercare would suck.
I think if they got their quality control under control that would persuade a lot of on the fencers to take the plunge...

Reactions: stonecoldrmw
You need to level set your expectations when buying an EV.

Buying an EV is a technology buy, like buying a computer, an iPhone or a 4K TV. They’re awesome but they’re designed to be obsolete quite fast as innovation makes you constantly want to adopt to newer models.

Buying a pre 1990s Mercedes Benz is like buying a house. It’s a forever car if you want it to be. You can infinitely rebuild it. It can be an appreciating asset.

Buying newer Mercedes Benz (or name any other newer luxury car) is like paying a really hot girl for sex. It’s fun for a while, but the fun wears off quick. At least that’s what I was told :D

I’m just concerned that dropping such a huge sum on a car then not getting the aftercare would suck.
I think if they got their quality control under control that would persuade a lot of on the fencers to take the plunge...
On my LR AWD I’ve found the build quality to be fine, although I’ve never been a buyer of luxury marques. Before lockdown I’d covered 10k miles in about six months, and there are no rattles or squeaks.

Many people complain about Tesla’s aftercare, quite rightly in many cases, but I think it’s the luck of the draw. My car went to the service centre for the day a few weeks after collection to have some minor paint issues fixed. My only other fault was that the glove box light didn’t work, and Tesla sent a mobile Ranger to my house to fix that.

This Tesla is my third EV, and I’ll never go back to ICE. Certainly with my experience so far, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy Tesla again.

My experience so far is that the cars are actually pretty reliable and the fundamental engineering and build are sound. Body fit and finish isn't the best and the interior materials are not anywhere near Audi etc. However, so long as EVs fit your usage pattern (mostly charge at home/work with only occasional long trips), they are way easier to live with than ICE cars, and much cheaper to run. And of course a huge step up in environmental friendliness. Tall pipe emissions alone are a huge benefit. Diesel is, literally, a killer.

I was very reticent when I ordered the Tesla, but the reality so far had been absolutely fine. I'm still unconvinced by their service model though and pray that I'll never have to use it. The established marques are way ahead on service provision.

I've also got an old Audi TT as a second car though. It spends most of its time in the garage, but it's fun to have a blast in from time to time.

Reactions: Durzel and pow216

Tesla don't have any dealerships as such. They have a totally different model of operation. They don't even have traditional sales people ... you go for a test drive and if you like it you decide to buy but there's no pressure selling ... and the price is the price on the website. Personally I was always suspicious of welcoming dealerships who woo you with potential discounts and stories of being part of a cosy luxury heritage brand ... that tended to change once your new car needed some warranty work! And servicing that consisted of a check list and a huge bill.

The exponential growth of Tesla's business is certainly testing their systems to the limit. The purchase sequence is like buying anything else online ... and with very little feedback as to what is happening until they tell you the car is ready for collection. My own car had no faults on pickup ... and had good paint finish. The car has no squeaks and rattles. I had a "systems failure" that included power steering stopping working. I drove it straight to the Service Centre and was given a replacement car. My own car was repaired (a "known" issue) the following day and I picked it up the day after that. That's not everyone's experience but it can work out! So in my instance it did feel like "aftercare" but there is an inevitable anonymity when having to deal with the company through their online systems. If aftercare is close to the top of your list of non-negotiables then I can understand your caution.

You've had a test drive so you've sampled the driving experience ... my M3 is the "slow" one ... and it's quick! I couldn't imagine going back to an ICE car for everyday driving. The Tesla is an absolute joy on the road.

With the Tesla there is definitely the feeling that you are part of a developing project ... and that suits me because I'm interested in the new developments. I'm interested to know about battery management and the future improvements of software and hardware ... but that wouldn't be for everyone. Some people just want a car that they know and trust. They don't want the "hassle" of a new style of regenerative braking being introduced for example! I can understand that, and there are friends of mine to whom I would probably not recommend a Tesla. I would still suggest they check out an EV though.

Reactions: Gatsojon
I had a 1998 Mercedes SL500 which I sold to switch to the Tesla AWD LR M3. The Mercedes was a beautiful bit of engineering, that I loved to drive. So smooth quiet and refined, it just glided along and had an excellent reserve of power. The interior was plush and comfortable, a lovely place to be. I did not like the way the petrol tank seemed to empty it's self with very little provocation, but V8 horsepower comes with some disadvantages.
I thought I'd miss that V8 burble, the effortless wafting along the roads, but no. Jumping into the 21st century with a Tesla was just brilliant, that silent thrust of acceleration under your right foot is awesome, the reaction it provokes in passengers is always a delight. I love the minimalist interior, and all the high tech. A car that evolves for the better every few weeks, it's so exciting being in on the early phase of car autonomy. Long tips to Yorkshire are so relaxing using autopilot. Brilliant car.
I miss the hood down driving in the SL500 and the plush interior. Would I ever go back - absolutely no!

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up
Thanks guys for the replies.
So some basic math...an M3P is £57k or there abouts.
A w126 s class around £15k...
As I live in London I need to take into account the ulez charge coming into play where I live in October 2021...
This charge is 12.50 a day. Given the price difference and based solely upon that I could pay the ulez everyday for 9 years...
Granted on v8 4.2l I would be lucky to get 20mpg and small change from £100 to fill the tank and 250 miles at best...
The Tesla or the merc would be my only car...so the decision has to be the right one...
I know these old benzes like the back of my hands and it would never see the dealer or garage. However with the Tesla you are in their hands, and going by my previous experiences with car dealerships I can expect the worse...
I guess with the Tesla you are literally paying upfront for savings in fuel and any ulez or congestion charges...with an old ice car you’re not...

I had a 1998 Mercedes SL500 which I sold to switch to the Tesla AWD LR M3. The Mercedes was a beautiful bit of engineering, that I loved to drive. So smooth quiet and refined, it just glided along and had an excellent reserve of power. The interior was plush and comfortable, a lovely place to be. I did not like the way the petrol tank seemed to empty it's self with very little provocation, but V8 horsepower comes with some disadvantages.
I thought I'd miss that V8 burble, the effortless wafting along the roads, but no. Jumping into the 21st century with a Tesla was just brilliant, that silent thrust of acceleration under your right foot is awesome, the reaction it provokes in passengers is always a delight. I love the minimalist interior, and all the high tech. A car that evolves for the better every few weeks, it's so exciting being in on the early phase of car autonomy. Long tips to Yorkshire are so relaxing using autopilot. Brilliant car.
I miss the hood down driving in the SL500 and the plush interior. Would I ever go back - absolutely no!

great! That’s the kind of real word experience I was looking for. I was actually also thinking of an R129 SL500.
Creamy engine and great build. But your real world experience really gives me food for thought.
If you don’t mind me asking did you buy or lease your M3?
In regards to build, us there a slim chance that when the gigafactory in Berlin opens that build quality will improve?
I think Elon had already mentioned something about a new paint process...

Do you have a driveway/garage/private parking at all? What are your plans or thoughts on charging?

I live very close by to the v3 superchargers.
Also can get a charger fitted at home. So no real issue there.
My only concerns are around build, paint, after care and I will throw in depreciation too...
I definitely loved the way it drove...but upon closer inspection the build quality was all over the place. Maybe it was just the car I drove...

There is a big difference in ownership experience between different pickup locations and service centres. If you are based in London, every chance you may pick a short straw. Clearly some locations or times struggle to provide the sort of service you may reasonably expect. And don't expect easy or consistent communication.

Don't base your purchase experience expecting significant proportion of supercharging (or other rapid DC charging) - some earlier models that have had their cars capabilities degraded due to a high proportion of rapid DC charging.

Also factor in significant range loss (up to 30% loss in range) in colder months and not using more than 70-80% of the battery capacity on a daily occurrence.

Last edited:
Hi, I can’t answer your question directly as my current Mercedes is more recent being a W218 CLS63 AMG, but the irony is that once the Tesla arrives I’ll be looking to add a Merc from the era you mention, so hopefully have the best of both worlds.

Unfortunately the build quality of the Tesla isn’t great and if you are going to buy one then you have to accept it, I would imagine it will improve though. The Tech on the other hand is the selling point and this is where it excels. I love both ICE and EV cars, totally different make up and to many degrees experiences, but both ultimately there to get you from A to B. Performance wise all 3 versions of the Model 3 are very quick especially when compared to comparative ICE cars, but none would see which way my CLS went, but I didn’t buy my Tesla just for speed, I bought it as an all around package and a taste of the future.

My only concerns are around build, paint, after care and I will throw in depreciation too...
I definitely loved the way it drove...but upon closer inspection the build quality was all over the place. Maybe it was just the car I drove...
What depreciation??

SR+ 19 reg in Autotrader for £38-40k

BMW 318dSE (new list £35k) 19 reg in Autotrader for £16k

you pays your money....

• Love
Reactions: Roy W.
great! That’s the kind of real word experience I was looking for. I was actually also thinking of an R129 SL500.
Creamy engine and great build. But your real world experience really gives me food for thought.
If you don’t mind me asking did you buy or lease your M3?
In regards to build, us there a slim chance that when the gigafactory in Berlin opens that build quality will improve?
I think Elon had already mentioned something about a new paint process...

I purchased my M3 with FSD, I often keep cars for a decade or more. I can already see that it makes long journeys so much more relaxing in the M3, and there's a lot more to come. If you only intend to keep a Tesla for a couple of years I'd not buy the FSD, it does not give you that much more over the standard autopilot as yet. But the future will be exciting!
Regarding quality I think Tesla has a continuous process of improvement. For example the model Y has a large casting at the rear that replaces over 70 parts on the M3, this casting will probably come to the M3 in the future. They are a young car maker, but boy are they learning fast. I do not think Tesla quality is up to Merc / BWM / Audi standards yet, but their technology is mile ahead.

Im torn between getting a 1990 w126 s class and a M3P. I know this is like comparing apples to oranges,
but has anyone ever gone from classic car ownership to Tesla ownership and not regretted it?
For me it would be the opposite, I have a Tesla Model 3 and this is the classic car that I would consider....

morse-jag.jpg

The only thing I would change , is to get wire wheels, ... and may be the battery: British firm converts old Jaguars and Rolls-Royces to electric power

jaguar-mark-2.jpg

Front-right-view-1.jpg

Last edited: