Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of buying a Roadster-want to ask the brain trust a few quesitons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This Roadster has 77k miles on it and is a "Sport" model. If I bought this it would be a daily driver.

I did an extended test drive and noted two things and would appreciate feedback.

This particular Roadster has a slight shimmy at about 35 MPH. It could have been as low as 20 MPH, I'm afraid I didn't notice the speed when I felt it. What I felt was a slight oscillation in the steering wheel until I got past a certain speed.

The second thing I noticed was a clunk when transitioning between +/- amps at low speed. I got this to repeat with 100% repeatability. Approach a stop sign in traffic at less than 10 MPH and just a slight amount of pressure on the accelerator so I could transition from + to - current and it would clunk.

I have the complete service records. It was serviced 6 months ago. Nothing suspicious.

Anything to worry about?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: AtAge19
Clunking is most likely the cv axle in the back, its normal play in all Roadsters and been there since new. Any type of shimmy is nothing major if its from the front. Most likely an out of balance rim. If the tires have over 10k on them they most likely have lost some of the balance due to normal wear. Also could be a slight bend in the rim if they hit a pot-hole, but the Roadsters are pretty light up front. But worse case is a bent rim, next followed by an out of balance wheel(s). It does have 77k, so not a new car :) But I'd say if those are the only issues that stuck out, it doesn't sound bad.

I'd also get the CAC of the battery and ask the owner what the battery charges at with a full charge in Standard and Range mode if possible.

Clunking is most likely the cv axle in the back, its normal play in all Roadsters and been there since new. Any type of shimmy is nothing major if its from the front. Most likely an out of balance rim. If the tires have over 10k on them they most likely have lost some of the balance due to normal wear. Also could be a slight bend in the rim if they hit a pot-hole, but the Roadsters are pretty light up front. But worse case is a bent rim, next followed by an out of balance wheel(s). It does have 77k, so not a new car :) But I'd say if those are the only issues that stuck out, it doesn't sound bad.

I'd also get the CAC of the battery and ask the owner what the battery charges at with a full charge in Standard and Range mode if possible.

Thanks for the replies. It was showing 180 miles, fully charged, when I sat in it. I assumed that was standard mode. Haha -- I should ask!

I'll call the tech who last serviced it on Monday and see if they have the CAC. I read the latest service report and it was pretty benign.

I appreciate all the feedback. Trying to do my due diligence before I make a commitment.

Thanks for the replies. It was showing 180 miles, fully charged, when I sat in it. I assumed that was standard mode. Haha -- I should ask!

I'll call the tech who last serviced it on Monday and see if they have the CAC. I read the latest service report and it was pretty benign.

I appreciate all the feedback. Trying to do my due diligence before I make a commitment.
On the other thread the seller mentions that it charges to 170 (max) in standard mode (he calls it ideal mode). Assuming accurate, that is good for the miles. Mine (75k miles) charges to 166-167.

Reactions: dhrivnak