Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of buying Model Y LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
I'm new to the forum. I'm strongly considering buying model Y LR...... anyone that can give me any input good or bad please have at it.....
most of my driving would be 20-40miles for work. and i would use the car for daily usage. I've rented the model 3 and i was blown away the car. loved it, just feel i need more room. I'm 6'2" 225 and want more of an SUV feel.....

If it helps, my husband is 6ft4, same weight as you and has tons of head and space in our MYLR AWD - including in the back row, which is impressive. He finds the seats very comfortable, even on long drives. You also get more storage space with the MY + the SUV feel, which is why we settled on the MY over the M3.

One thing maybe worth considering is getting the AWD, depending on what winters are like in your neck of NJ. We got our MY in early Dec. so we spent a full winter driving it in our wild Quebec winter weather and were very happy with its winter driving (not quite as good as our Subaru Forester with our Hakkapelitta studded tires, but still solid - we just had to get used to the sensation of the back tires just starting to slide out, but the MY instantly catching and correcting it. It's a bit unnerving at first.)

Fair weather driving is amazingly fun. The acceleration is insane. We're constantly fighting over who gets to drive. Any range anxiety you might have will disappear quickly.

Good luck with your decision and I hope you don't have to wait 4 months like we did (not sure what the wait time is these days).

Reactions: DrGriz and Casss
If it helps, my husband is 6ft4, same weight as you and has tons of head and space in our MYLR AWD - including in the back row, which is impressive. He finds the seats very comfortable, even on long drives. You also get more storage space with the MY + the SUV feel, which is why we settled on the MY over the M3.

One thing maybe worth considering is getting the AWD, depending on what winters are like in your neck of NJ. We got our MY in early Dec. so we spent a full winter driving it in our wild Quebec winter weather and were very happy with its winter driving (not quite as good as our Subaru Forester with our Hakkapelitta studded tires, but still solid - we just had to get used to the sensation of the back tires just starting to slide out, but the MY instantly catching and correcting it. It's a bit unnerving at first.)

Fair weather driving is amazingly fun. The acceleration is insane. We're constantly fighting over who gets to drive. Any range anxiety you might have will disappear quickly.

Good luck with your decision and I hope you don't have to wait 4 months like we did (not sure what the wait time is these days).
Unfortunately, wait times are far longer than four months for a MYLR at this point :( that is coming from someone who placed their order in October of last year and still doesn't have one. Picking it up next Wednesday, though, so the wait has nearly come to an end!

Reactions: Volleyballmom
My MYLR (2022) is my first EV and I my commute is 40 miles round trip. I would say if your commute is 50 miles or less, you can mostly be at a 80% charge every morning with Level 1 charging. That being said, if you have a Level 2 charger installed, it will just give you more flexibility as you can be "fully charged" in just a few hours.

It’s a great car, and I like the Y for the higher seat height and cabin roominess. It really excels as a commuter car. My commute is 38 miles roundtrip, and plugging in Level 1 at work pretty much covers the trip. All told, I’m spending about $20 a month for energy. Can't beat that!

Hi All,
I'm new to the forum. I'm strongly considering buying model Y LR...... anyone that can give me any input good or bad please have at it.....
most of my driving would be 20-40miles for work. and i would use the car for daily usage. I've rented the model 3 and i was blown away the car. loved it, just feel i need more room. I'm 6'2" 225 and want more of an SUV feel.....

Tons of headroom in MY. High seating position available. Real world range is around 250 miles if you're romping around and not babying it.

It's a different kind of car. More like an iPhone with wheels. But that's a good thing in most of our minds.

Waiting list is long - you'd be looking at 2023 to get one. Good news is they are factory direct, so no possibility of being screwed by dealer markup.

Reactions: Corndart

thanks for your input...

so i will definitely be going for the AWD we can get wacky winters in NJ

My MYLR (2022) is my first EV and I my commute is 40 miles round trip. I would say if your commute is 50 miles or less, you can mostly be at a 80% charge every morning with Level 1 charging. That being said, if you have a Level 2 charger installed, it will just give you more flexibility as you can be "fully charged" in just a few hours.
i would probably get the charger installed at my house to make sure i can charge fully daily with no worries, unfortunately my job doesnt have EV charging

Tons of headroom in MY. High seating position available. Real world range is around 250 miles if you're romping around and not babying it.

It's a different kind of car. More like an iPhone with wheels. But that's a good thing in most of our minds.

Waiting list is long - you'd be looking at 2023 to get one. Good news is they are factory direct, so no possibility of being screwed by dealer markup.
nice, yeah im looking on the website and if i order today it would be here around feb/may 2023 :(

I wish I bought the slower Tesla said no one ever!

As a counterpoint, “I wish my Tesla had less range” said no one ever!

It’s just a matter of priorities. I decided on a M3LR for the convenience of and peace of mind of more range. It’s still the fastest car I’ve ever owned, and in real world driving it’s highly unlikely that a half second or so quicker to 60 would make any difference - it’s more about bragging rights and showing off. Not that there’s anything wrong with that!

Then again, if I was younger, bragging and showing off might be a lot higher on my list of priorities. In fact, I’m virtually certain of it!

It’s just a matter of priorities. I decided on a M3LR for the convenience of and peace of mind of more range. It’s still the fastest car I’ve ever owned, and in real world driving it’s highly unlikely that a half second or so quicker to 60 would make any difference - it’s more about bragging rights and showing off. Not that there’s anything wrong with that!

Then again, if I was younger, bragging and showing off might be a lot higher on my list of priorities. In fact, I’m virtually certain of it!
You left a window for "FasterEddieB" to exist :)

lol i might be past that stage as well of bragging and showing off to a certain degree... i have 3 kids so just would like a nice EV thats going to check off alot on my list of what i think i need, but the MYP i guess is not totally out of question