Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of buying Model Y LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two notes:

1. The MYP is not for anyone who wants to maximize range or that can't stomach the performance tires and their associated headaches/costs (and swapping to non-performance tires does not produce much range gain).
(This is not a knock on MYP; I love mine. But it's not a model to buy ignorantly.)

2. If you drive through any area with road debris such as salt, gravel, etc, then definitely plan on getting/using the wheel mud guards. Front and lower door PPF protection is also wise.

Tesla's are great cars to own, operate, and enjoy! :)

Two notes:

1. The MYP is not for anyone who wants to maximize range or that can't stomach the performance tires and their associated headaches/costs (and swapping to non-performance tires does not produce much range gain).
(This is not a knock on MYP; I love mine. But it's not a model to buy ignorantly.)

2. If you drive through any area with road debris such as salt, gravel, etc, then definitely plan on getting/using the wheel mud guards. Front and lower door PPF protection is also wise.

Tesla's are great cars to own, operate, and enjoy! :)
thanks

on your first statement- i got rid of my maxima after 4 years because i was tired of the low profile tires always running low on air - i mean always low- when it gets any kind of chilly they run low and i had to fill them constantly which was annoying to me.... and yes i would rather the range i think more- regardless the MYLR still has plenty of get up....

on 2nd comment - when it snows in NJ the salt the roads so but i dont plan of running thru any gravel i dont think lol or mud

thanks

on your first statement- i got rid of my maxima after 4 years because i was tired of the low profile tires always running low on air - i mean always low- when it gets any kind of chilly they run low and i had to fill them constantly which was annoying to me.... and yes i would rather the range i think more- regardless the MYLR still has plenty of get up....

on 2nd comment - when it snows in NJ the salt the roads so but i dont plan of running thru any gravel i dont think lol or mud
It is actually law of physics, not due to low profile tires.
Ideal Gas Law, PV=nRT, as the temperature drops, the pressure/volume drops.

OP, most of the people here are going to be pro-MY, including me, so you should keep that in mind as you gather opinions on the MY here. I think since you've rented and love the M3, it's pretty safe to say that you'll like the MY since it's basically just a bigger M3.

I would just point out that you should make sure that you are OK with what the MY doesn't have compared to most other cars in the same price range, such as no CarPlay/Android Auto, no 360 degree parking camera, no traditional blind-spot warning system (although I've come to prefer what Tesla offers now), no rear cross-traffic alert, etc. None of these are deal-breakers for me personally, and what it has over other competitors far outweighs the negatives.

Good luck with your decision!

i think the car is pretty fast regardless, i can do alot of driving so woudn't mind the extra milage
It's not a lot of mileage difference, like 30 on paper spec'd at 55mph. Real world we're talking 15 miles maybe, so...

My wife drives a MYP. It's funny the way her driving has changed. After a while you adapt to the car. She doesn't drive more aggressively but she's a lot quicker. But also remember that these cars cannot be upgraded for more power once they've been upgraded for ex the LR with AB, once done that's it. That's all the power we're gonna get so just make sure you're really copacetic with whichever version you decide on. These are great cars, they're not perfect... nothing is really but these are pretty close imo.

Hi All,
I'm new to the forum. I'm strongly considering buying model Y LR...... anyone that can give me any input good or bad please have at it.....
most of my driving would be 20-40miles for work. and i would use the car for daily usage. I've rented the model 3 and i was blown away the car. loved it, just feel i need more room. I'm 6'2" 225 and want more of an SUV feel.....
It's perfect for you. Just know the ride is a little rough over bumps etc.

You mean the longer range, higher clearance with less damage prone wheels from potholes Tesla?? 😃
Definitely my choice. Acceleration doesn't do anything for you if you are high centered in a snow drift!

By the way, all versions of the Model Y available now, AWD, Performance and Long Range are all wheel drive. The AWD made in Texas has a different battery with lower range and a few other things. It also is in limited production at the moment.

Don't get me started. Coming from a 2017 Model S to a 2018 Model X and now in a 2020 when we purchase the Model Y. It's my go to car for any trip I can get my way from my wife not wanting to take her Model X. Handles well, easy to see out of and has ton of space. I've done the ghost upgrade to performance and I will never look back. No one needs that much power under your foot but it's SUCH a GOOD FEELING knowing you have it. It is rear bias and it will require a tire rotation or just buy 2 back sets to every one for the front. I've done several SCCA events and have had a blast. It really handles well. Just a little heavy when cornering. It's no Miata but is still fun to drive. Lots of room in the back for passengers. I've done a lot of rideshare and everyone was usually comfortable. I think the Model Y is a near perfect car that Tesla makes.

Some posters strongly prefer the handling of the 3 to the Y so definitely important to test drive both before buying.

Doesn't sound like you'll need the long range for 20-30 mile work commute if you have a home chargepoint which is worth installing.

AWD is nice to have and long range can be helpful for longer trips to places a long way from superchargers though.

We have both 3 AWD LR and 3 RWD SR+ and the the SR+ is slightly more likely to hesitate accelerating when it doesn't have enough traction. It's still pretty rare though. Was amazed how well LR gripped in light snow in summer tyres. I've never heard the wheels spinning in either car unlike other EVs. The SR+ does feel slightly more nimble with lighter steering but that might just be because it has newer tyres.

As a counterpoint, “I wish my Tesla had less range” said no one ever!
Or, "I wish my Tesla Y had a more punishing suspension, less ground clearance, and tires I couldn't 4-way rotate. If you can be satisfied with the LR performance (plus the acceleration boost if needed) you can keep these LR improvements and a bit of change for coilovers, tires and wheels, PPF, whatever.

Hi all

New here.

I dont have a Tesla yet, but I'm really considering getting one. I have been reading and watching youtube videos for awhile now(they seem iffy) so i figured i'd jump on here and get more direct info from everyone.

so right now i think im seriously in the market for MY long range(at least thats what i believe i want). It will basically be my daily driver and i plan on charging mostly at home daily.

i believe i have range anxiety for some reason, even though range is 330 and real range probably more like 270? correct me if im worng please. my daily drive to and from work is about 70 miles total.

so i just wanted some input from current owners, what i should be aware of or what i should know more before getting one?

Thanks everyone
You would probably only charge the vehicle to 80% for daily commute so practically the range is even shorter. Charging at home is very convenient though.

Having range anxiety is normal at first. After a month or so of driving, it will become less and less then you'll learn that there are plenty of chargers and charging options around and it'll disappear altogether.
Unless you live in Idaho and plan on travelling there. Then your charging options are broken or don't exist off of interstates (which are 300 miles of mountains and valleys apart).

so i forgot to mention what SUV i currently have.

i have a 2015 pathfinder, very practical suv, decent gas milage, decent space, just gettin older now and no real issues to speak of.... it has 134,000 miles, i filled up today $65, when i first bought the suv i was around $40-$50 range to fill up.... im thinking if i go with tesla i would probably be saving on gas alone, plus oil changes which are now $80 for my car now....

thoughts? anyone that has the math knowledge to give some numbers would be appreciated....